• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win PL: Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Arsenal | Monday 21st August | KO: 20:00 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_blog.jpg

Predicted Lineup

Prediction

Crystal 0-2 Arsenal

Last edited:

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
Lucky? We significantly outplayed them in every statistical category, and had an xG more than twice theirs. And the only other team to win at Palace since Xmas was all conquering Man City who were gifted a late penalty from a position of no danger.

The penalty and red card were both soft so it sort of even out. Palace is a tough trip. But you look at 3 competitive matches we have had if you include CS and we have looked anemic in attack. We created very little

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Eddie bar that scooped miss was good tonight. And he was our most penetrative and decisive attacking player. Agree that he doesn't facilitate was well as our other forwards, but this is a strange game to go after him for.
His job is to finish which he didn't do and he kills our general play. You can only carry a player who contributes nothing to your general play if they finish consistently. If he's not doing that he has slim to no value and particularly the 2nd chance he missed he's got to score. He doesn't do anything else.

His pressing is very average, his hold up play is virtually nonexistent and he's a largely unwilling passer who isn't good at it when he does decide to pass. He missed a wide open Martinelli early on and dithered on the ball instead. You pay for things like this over the course of a season and certainly against better opposition.

He's not good enough for an Arsenal that wants to win the big prizes. It shows how poor he is that he blows two chances and kills a lot of the attacks and it's looked upon as good by his standards.

Tom Mix

23 seconds which was only 4 seconds more than the match average up to that point. Ironically if he'd walked to pick the ball up and then thrown it, he would have used up more time than jogging and then pausing.

My point being that it was refereeing decision based on perception and irritation at something that happened previously that wasn't what the ref thought it was rather than any objective decision making process.
Ref was influenced by crowd but it was perception that we were wasting time by switching the taker. Unfortunately card shown and it counts. Ramsdale started wasting time from the moment we scored, we need to be a big team and whilst winning 0-1 is fine by me we can cut it too fine. Palace were there for the taking and we made life difficult for ourselves. A better team would have taken points from us 11 v 10.

sdotzdot

Established Member
We are playing the right tactics (save for nketiah over Trossard).

We are aiming to be the best possession based team in the league and the way we have set up will let us eventually get to the stage to overpower pretty much any team in Europe, let alone the league (we are already there).

Just need the time to have it gel. Once it does we can dominate pretty much any team on a consistent basis like Barca used to do.

The city games will be very interesting. No matter how good we look, they would always just take control of us. Don’t see how that’s possible anymore with the way we’re going. This season will be the first time ever imo where we actually genuinely outclass city at their own game or at the very least go toe to toe for the full 90.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Rewatched some bits of the game.

For now I’ll just say my impressions of Eddie’s performance on the night were more favourable than most on here before I rewatched. Now idk. That second chance - I just cannot understand why he went for a very difficult chip when there was a very easy ball to Havertz…

First chance he made himself anyway and was under pressure from 2 defenders and hit the post it’s fine. He won the penalty as well obviously and generally his movement was decent. But not passing it to Havertz idk. If you pass down that option then you simply have to bury it Martinelli vs Brighton style. Otherwise questions have to be asked.

Gooner_girl14

Massive 3 points and I must admit it was amusing to see a team full of defensive players by the end. What a joke of a sending off, poor Tomi. Regarding his yellow card for the delayed throw-in - if they really want to crack down on this they better introduce a clear time limit eg 20 seconds. Ref should tell the player clock is on then card if they go beyond. His second yellow was soft also. It's such a shame this game was turned on its head by poor ref decisions.

Still, very proud of the boys for getting through it. Once upon a time we would have conceded and probably gone on to lose but seeing the imposing figures of White, Saliba and Gabriel in the box I was strangely confident we'd be OK. Still not keen on this new formation but hey max points in 2 games, something must be working. Rice so far looks worth every bit of what we paid for him, he's so assured with the ball. Could have had an assist too.

IrishGooner93

We're not yet firing on all cylinders but I can see what Arteta is trying to build and after some consideration think the performance today was probably better than last seasons away v Palace.
In that game first 20 mins the team was electric yes but then it petered out. This performance was a bit more complete and controlled throughout. More attacking threat even if still aren't yet ticking going forward. Shame about the two stupid bookings from the ref but even with 10 men looked in control. Don't think we needed to surrender so much possession though but the final subs improved that.
The team is bigger and more physical. More flexible and harder to read for the opposition. Once the attack starts clicking again (hopefully it will) , it may take a few weeks or so but we'll be an improved and more evolved outfit than last season.
Still not 100% on Havertz but I don't think he's been disastrous. Off the ball excellent, is a good outlet to beat the press, makes great runs, shown the odd good moment on the ball but overall far too quiet and too safe and passive. If can rid that from his game and play with more confidence and assertiveness will be an exciting player.

IrishGooner93

Maybe we won't quite gel or reach last seasons heights but my feeling is we're starting slowly and making some sacrifices but will go up the gears as the season goes on and with a higher ceiling than last year with a more evolved set up, mature team and deeper squad.

Melquiades

The referee should whistle the 2nd player then. You can't let it get to a third player and then he has no time to throw the ball in. He also wouldn't have blown the whistle at the Emirates. You can't have a weak ref being influenced by the crowd. It's also totally scandalous to then give him a 2nd yellow for a dive, particularly when the player diving should already have been off the pitch for a shirt pull that was whistled when he was already on a yellow. The ref was dreadful from start to finish. No way in hell Ayew should be on the pitch and Tomi off. That was 3 yellows he committed with only 1 given.

It's just having a feel for the game.

If you give Tomyasu a very soft timewasting yellow (for timewasting that was done mostly by his teammates) then you need to be aware of that and make sure that if you give him a 2nd yellow it's for a legitimate no-doubt foul. What you don't want to be doing as a ref is injecting yourself into the result by turning the game based on two very marginal yellow cards.

Especially when you let Ayew get away with a harsher 2nd offense than what you send Tomiyasu off for.

That 2nd yellow was just nonsense - he barely touched him and Ayew went for the flop. No different than the first penalty shout on Nketiah in the first half which was correctly not given.

blaze_of_glory

Got a chance to watch the game in full, finally. Seeing it with no stress/anxiety over the result, we looked very solid. I'm not a big fan of Partey at RB and keeping KT out for Tomi at LB but it give us four big guys back there who are all good on the ball as well. Can see why Arteta likes it for game like this one even if it seems like going a bit galaxy brain. Partey inverting gets you four ballers in the middle of the park and it will be hard for any team to deal with. Might be the fact that we end up with three at the back in possession that partially keeps KT out (though he has played in a back three for both us and Scotland and done well, so I dunno)

We were very comfortable for most of the game even going down to 10 men. Almost too comfortable at times as it seemed we were being overly patient. Eddie could have had a couple goals though, which would have taken the edge off. Actually thought he did pretty well apart from that bad miss on the chip. I like Trossard/Jesus at CF more because we tend to get more out of Martinelli with them, but Eddie is looking dangerous. And Martinelli had a great game last week with Eddie up top so maybe it doesn't need to be a problem.

People were ragging on Havertz all game but honestly I don't think he put a foot wrong. He ghosts about connecting things and it it does kind of come across as not really all that effective at times but I think what he does helps wear teams down and his decision making is very good, if conservative. The fact that he can slot in at CF to provide more of a target/hold up man in situations like today is a bonus too.

Rice was probably our best player today and this was maybe the game where he really starts to make his mark on our team. He was everywhere, and looking a lot more assured and confident in his forward passing. That sequence near the end with him, Zinchenko, Havertz and Jorginho all pinging it around was awesome to watch.

Gooner_girl14

Still not 100% on Havertz but I don't think he's been disastrous. Off the ball excellent, is a good outlet to beat the press, makes great runs, shown the odd good moment on the ball but overall far too quiet and too safe and passive. If can rid that from his game and play with more confidence and assertiveness will be an exciting player.
Yeah, it was interesting that towards the end, Havertz was our only attacker left on the pitch. Shows how much Arteta trusts him in these tough situations and his versatility is also important. IMO he looked a bit better than he did v Forrest, so he's slowly improving. I guess he's learning the defensive/off the ball parts of his role still. Do want to see more going forward though, seems a bit too passive at the moment.

NZgunner

I watched highlights of the first half after the match, but all of the second live.

Aside from the penalty, we didn't really threaten in the second half, Tomiyasu's sending off obviously a big part of that. And in regard to the ending off, yes they were two soft yellows, but you've got to play smarter than that - I'm more angry with our player than the ref.

But even with all their possession after the sending off, Palace didn't look like creating anything apart from the obvious dive for a penalty and one bit of aerial ping-pong leading to a shot blasted well over.

We looked a lot better in the first half highlights with some decent chances, which sad to say, I was not surprised that Nketia missed.

Overall, we ground that result out in the end and I didn't think any players had more than 7/10 performances.

But 3 points is 3 points no matter how ugly they look.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's all a little messy. For example at times out of possession Ødegaard was higher than Havertz who dropped alongside Rice which I didn't really get. Neither are gonna slot in naturally tho.

But I also felt we were in control for most of the game and once the goal came I felt we could've opened them up a bit especially as the game progressed. The sending off killed all that tho.

Still not worried tho, as our first 3 fixtures have been favourable in terms of us being allowed to experiment a bit. The fixtures coming after tho we need to be ready and a bit more cohesive.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Really feel now that when we go defensive, we are one of the best defensive teams in the league/world.

So well drilled when we decide to park the bus, love that we have that side to us.

You knew if we went down to 10 in 2020/2021, always losing...the coaches and players really put the work into improving that side of our game, wasn't even overly worried when the red happend.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This was fun to watch, our technical level and positional play is elite, especially with Zinchenko on the left

So much for the Rice can't operate in tight spaces narrative.

I thought the Premier League tried to use last night as another night to implement their new directive. Ayew dragged down Saka on a yellow. I don't want a player sent off for that as it was more of Saka retaining the ball and turning than on transition.

The Time wasting one is really simple. Just have a word with Ødegaard and wait for the actual time wasting. The warning should be booking the keeper. Its unlikely you will send him off, so booking him basically says look, I'm watching you. However to randomly book a player because others have been time wasting is just stupid. It's like when the ref pointed to Xhaka making 3 fouls and then booked him when he had only made 1. He took the card for others fouling. Those aren't aren't rules.

Coote genuinely loses control of every hame he refs. The league only has two competent refs. It's a joke.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Rice was excellent. Palace never looked like scoring without Zaha, poor team. 2 games now we've had lots of possession but no real penetration or dominance in the opposition box. Needed a penalty to win. Jury still out on Havertz.

But it's 2 wins out if 2. And if we can get into our stride, it's a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, June 4

Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow could be acquired for little over €10m [The Athletic]

Other clubs believe Arsenal are in position to sign Benjamin Šeško [The Athletic]

Arsenal are not expected to pursue their interest in Bruno Guimaraes due to his £100m asking price [The Athletic]

Martin Zubimendi and Joao Neves are under consideration as potential signings in midfield [The Athletic]

Arsenal want £30m to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with several Premier League clubs interested [TBR Football]

Arsenal & AC Milan have approached & probed the environment of Girona winger Viktor Tsygankov (26), who has a €30m release clause [Diarioas]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom