• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Scott Carson

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
He's an exceptional shot stopper, but his decision making and kicking is not very good on occasions. I'd stil choose Akinfeev over everyone we have been linked with as Jens' replacement.

Asterix

Established Member
Carson isn't experienced enough yet in my opinion. I'm still betting on Boruc.

I must admit I haven't seen Akinfeev play, but his lack of height concerns me. It just means you lack a physical presence in the penalty area to combat the Drogbas, Kuyt's and so on.

I know that other shorter keepers like Casillas and Given have been successful, but I don't think either of them commands their area like Jens or Dave.

Azabaxe

stiiphunn said:
He's too young. Our team is already really young and we need a few experienced players.

And there's nothing more important than experience when it comes to goalkeepers.

Iker Casillas became a starter at R. Madrid at 17 or 18. He did have Hierro in front of him, though.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Boruc, Gordon, now Carson. The reported would-be 5M bid for Carson is quite expensive actually.

I think Wenger will go for keeper who can speak English and is familar with English-style training. The latter will be a point to consider when signing a keeper. I read a report on Citeh's Issaksson. Pearce said it took the Swede three months to settle in English training method. Arsenal won't have three months for a new keeper to settle in once Jens leaves.

AFCFan4Ever

I think it's either Boruc or Akinfeev personally, more than likely Boruc. Wenger wanted him before he went to Celtic and will go after him again in the summer IMO.

Gordon will probably go to Celtic if we Boruc and Buffon is a pipedream at best.

Nutsy

Established Member
Scott Carson is good, but too young for me tbh especially being our no.1 keeper, I rate him, but actually i don't rate him as high as i rate Akinfeev or Gordon. Boruc is great aswell, and one of the greater possiblities for us to bag. why am i not seemed to be suprised it's 5M for the start bidding? is he because he's english now? i'd rather have the extra cash keeping Baptista if Reyes is Returned to us (which will be another big possiblity). :?

stiiphunn

Established Member
Azabaxe said:
stiiphunn said:
He's too young. Our team is already really young and we need a few experienced players.

And there's nothing more important than experience when it comes to goalkeepers.

Iker Casillas became a starter at R. Madrid at 17 or 18. He did have Hierro in front of him, though.

True! There's also Mickael Landreau who started at 17 in Nantes. But to be honest they are exceptions- it's very rare.

Plus the PL is quite physical and a keeper needs to impose himself- and I think experience is very important in such a case.

Sammer

Established Member
I have my doubts that Scott Carson would be a good Jens replacement. He is a good keeper, but it´s much easier to perform well at a mediocre team where the expectations are not so high and where you get enough chances to prove yourself.

At Arsenal - take Sunday against Wigan e.g. - you usually have to keep focussed without having to do much. But when you do (Heskey-save), everybody expects you to do the best.

This is why keepers like Carson, even though good shot stoppers (just like Almunia), need to be very special in order to replace a top keeper like Jens.

I just hope he stays another year as our no1, and helps our new keeper in his 2nd year to settle in.

siddharth

If wenger signs carson as lehmann's replacement then i will have to enter a rehab this summer. Carson is nothing special and is short of experience. The most worrying thing about this ,if true , is that wenger might be thinking of making almunia our first choice keeper when lehmann leaves and having carson challenge for first place. :|

The way i see this is that wenger bought almunia at the age of 27 as he thought lehmann would not last this long and then almunia would take over. But it never worked out in either ways.

Signing such a young player as your first choice is risky and i doubt wenger is that brave. For this sole reason i think we won't be signing Akinfeev ,no matter how talented he is. It has to be either Boruc or Gordon.

stuart

Established Member
^ Yeah but we ain't Chelski, we can't just sign a Premiership player to keep him on the bench. There is no point in signing a number 2 as we have Almunia

Canuck

Established Member
Have to agree that Wenger now sees Almunia as a viable second stringer. (alot of us wouldn't even give him that not so long ago)
Who said Gordon to Celtic, Boruc to Arsenal, they've probably nailed it.
Just have to wait and see.

seb_afc

Established Member
I would love carson here. He in my opinion should be England's number one. Has been brilliant this season, and I really can see why wenger would want him.

Sammer

Established Member
seb_afc said:
I would love carson here. He in my opinion should be England's number one. Has been brilliant this season, and I really can see why wenger would want him.

A good season at a mediocre team doesn´t make a keeper a great keeper in my view.....just a thought.

If we would sign players based on a great season at other clubs we would end up with a lot of useless, overpriced players.

BeijingGunner

If we signed Carson I would be very surprised. Many keepers at poor teams stand out due to the fact that they have so many shots to deal with.

For example, Russell Hoult had a great season with West Brom when they were up the time before last. This was not because he was a particularly talented keeper, he did not save a higher percentage of shots than anyone else. It was that he had so many more shots to save, he was bound to keep most out.

Carson has no CL experience and only one season of experience. Arsène, please buy us Akinfeev or Gordon this summer!

Captain

Established Member
Sammer said:
seb_afc said:

A good season at a mediocre team doesn´t make a keeper a great keeper in my view.....just a thought.

If we would sign players based on a great season at other clubs we would end up with a lot of useless, overpriced players.

To be fair he was impressive in his stints for Liverpool too.

Canuck

Established Member
BeijingGunner said:
Carson has no CL experience and only one season of experience. Arsène, please buy us Akinfeev or Gordon this summer!
As good as Gordon seesm, he doesn't have CL experience either, though Boruc certainly does.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom