• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-18s Thread

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This guy is crazy

Edit: The question is how much of his success can be attributed to his physique compared to those of his age or talent?
From the picture he just need to add few muscles and he ready for top level football he already have great height

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐

Wtf just promote him he bullying his age group

He played 14 u18 league games 20 goals

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Wtf just promote him he bullying his age group

He played 14 u18 league games 20 goals
He is a schoolboy. Not even a scholar yet, so this is unprecedented. Flo Balogun was the last great goalscorer we had at that level with 25 in one season but he did that as a 2nd year (he turned 18 that season). Chido Obi won't even be 17 until next season. He'll be U21's main man soon enough.

As far as his physique - yeah it's helping him but he's also really good in other facets. He's very good with the ball at his feet and he's quick aswell when he gets going. Kid is just an all-round phenom so will be intriguing to see how he develops in the next season or so.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
He is a schoolboy. Not even a scholar yet, so this is unprecedented. Flo Balogun was the last great goalscorer we had at that level with 25 in one season but he did that as a 2nd year (he turned 18 that season). Chido Obi won't even be 17 until next season. He'll be U21's main man soon enough.
He can't play u23 games next season?

Sulosky

Just let that hotshot be a kid. He is talented, but no need to give him too much pressure yet. But damn he is exciting to watch.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He can't play u23 games next season?
He can, in fact he already made his U21 debut this season! There's just a tiny bit of a logjam as Butler-Oyedeji didn't go back out on loan and is currently upfront for the U21s. I expect Obi to be the main man as early as the beginning of next season. He should really start at least a couple of games for them before the end of the season but the aforementioned Butler-Oyedeji is playing instead (admittedly he's not quite as interesting a talent at this stage but he's experienced at this level).

Just a further comment on Obi though, to really contextualise what we're seeing: there is a LOT of comment about how this could be a flash in the pan and that because of his physique we should be careful but it's important to note we haven't seen a schoolboy with this kind of blend of goalscoring, physical dominance and technique possibly ever. I've seen a ton of strikers at this level. From Lupoli and Bendtner, to Afobe and Murphy, to Akpom, to Nketiah and Malen, to John-Jules and then Balogun - and that's not even mentioning JET who I've seen compared to Obi a lot this past week. The major difference is - outside of Murphy - none of them were doing this as a schoolboy. So, we do need to be careful because of how young he is. Development is hardly ever linear. That said, we have to prepare for the very real and likely possibility that this kid is absolutely the real deal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Also, maybe the narrative on Jack Wilshere should change now. He's coached some very impressive results and excellent attacking football with an increasingly younger team. Yes, he has a freak as his #9 but he's also done great work with the wide players such as Zecevic-John (schoolboy) and Kamara (2nd year). He's also gotten some very good output from his midfield, such as Copley and Casey, not to mention the work he's done with schoolboys in other positions; Ife Ibrahim and Theo Julienne in particular come to mind as they've cemented themselves in no time at all. The only real disappointment this season was the 7-1 loss in the Youth Cup against a similarly talented Liverpool team (who saw Jayden Danns goal last night? Wow).

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

@MutableEarth Obi seem to be a special talent. We seen 16-17 year old play senior football. Guys like gavi, yamal, Rooney etc etc. you think he could play next season? He has the size

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth Obi seem to be a special talent. We seen 16-17 year old play senior football. Guys like gavi, yamal, Rooney etc etc. you think he could play next season? He has the size
I wouldn't be terribly surprised. CF remains slightly unconvincing - even factoring in the potential arrival in the Summer. That said, I think letting him cook at U21s for a bit would be better. Obi has taken a few games to get used to this level and it's only when more of his U16 teammates started coming up that he started to get a bit more comfortable. Letting him build his stock at U21 level and see how he does once he has a rapport with the likes of Kamara, Lewis-Skelly, Nwaneri and co - will be more important than giving him a debut for the 1st team unless Arteta has an epiphany like he did with Nwaneri.

If he hits the ground running and starts slapping away 4 goals a game for the U21s like he's been doing the last couple of months at U18 level then yeah, give him a debut.

Afro Mugo

As far as his physique - yeah it's helping him but he's also really good in other facets. He's very good with the ball at his feet and he's quick aswell when he gets going. Kid is just an all-round phenom so will be intriguing to see how he develops in the next season or so.
We can never certain how a player will turn out with or without physique . He stands out because he is tall but he's not yet really that muscular. I'm sure it helps give him that extra yard of pace but most of the good stuff he does, is with his feet . Dribbling , close control and finishing. I watched last year's FA youth cup final and their two strikers Mumama and Kodua were probably more muscular than him añd they didn't score as regularly.
The likes of Solanke , Abraham and CHO were similar physical specimens (if not more)at youth level, it's just they weren't as tall.
He is a less of a Lukaku/Haaland and more of an Isak/Anelka (for those who watched him in his youth) . Jay Emmanuel Thomas (who's always used as the comparison for any big/tall forward) didn't really score that many goals at youth level even aged 18 it's just he had that amazing Youth Cup run. I think Chido's goals/talent will persist even in men's football.

Afro Mugo

Also, maybe the narrative on Jack Wilshere should change now. He's coached some very impressive results and excellent attacking football with an increasingly younger team. Yes, he has a freak as his #9 but he's also done great work with the wide players such as Zecevic-John (schoolboy) and Kamara (2nd year). He's also gotten some very good output from his midfield, such as Copley and Casey, not to mention the work he's done with schoolboys in other positions; Ife Ibrahim and Theo Julienne in particular come to mind as they've cemented themselves in no time at all. The only real disappointment this season was the 7-1 loss in the Youth Cup against a similarly talented Liverpool team (who saw Jayden Danns goal last night? Wow).
Jack will always get a lot of stick because he was a bit of a prick as a player and as such a good number of people will never see him in another light.
Add the fact there's constant debate on ex pros Vs career coaches.
He's a began at u18 level which is a decent level for an ex pro of his calibre whos completed his badges. He used to coach youth teams and host youth tournaments in his free time while he recovered from his injuries
And if Per, is the same kind of guy from his playing days , he's not the kind of guy to reward incompetence. He must have done his due diligence. Wenger also speaks highly of him as a potential manager unlike eg Ljungberg where he said he never would have thought he would transition to management

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
We can never certain how a player will turn out with or without physique . He stands out because he is tall but he's not yet really that muscular. I'm sure it helps give him that extra yard of pace but most of the good stuff he does, is with his feet . Dribbling , close control and finishing. I watched last year's FA youth cup final and their two strikers Mumama and Kodua were probably more muscular than him añd they didn't score as regularly.
The likes of Solanke , Abraham and CHO were similar physical specimens (if not more)at youth level, it's just they weren't as tall.
He is a less of a Lukaku/Haaland and more of an Isak/Anelka (for those who watched him in his youth) . Jay Emmanuel Thomas (who's always used as the comparison for any big/tall forward) didn't really score that many goals at youth level even aged 18 it's just he had that amazing Youth Cup run. I think Chido's goals/talent will persist even in men's football.
I just don't get the trend of people trying to underestimate the importance of size, strength and athleticism in football. It's only a problem if the player in question is a stiff and has no real technique, motor or fluidity to his play. That's not a problem for Chido. You can still see he looks like Bambi a bit, so it's not like he is fully developed like a young Lukaku, he just had a quick growth spurt, but has not yet filled out his frame. By the time he fills out his frame, he could potentially be even more powerful and explosive.

Sometimes players just don't make it to the very top. This happens to players with all variations of physique. Being the strongest or even most technically gifted in your age group is not a visa to elite football.

There are a lot more factors at play that will decide what will come for these young players.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think the is he doing well because he is physical debate would make sense if he was actually playing in his age group, but he isn't.

Most academy's have big strong CBs also and physical players. The boys will be fast and strong. I remember teaching 14 year olds who were playing CB and running 100m in 11 seconds with zero sprint training. The academies have the most athletic kids in the country especially at under 18.

@MutableEarth has he trained with the first team? He needs to play back to goal vs big Gabi and get dealt with.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think the is he doing well because he is physical debate would make sense if he was actually playing in his age group, but he isn't.

Most academy's have big strong CBs also and physical players. The boys will be fast and strong. I remember teaching 14 year olds who were playing CB and running 100m in 11 seconds with zero sprint training. The academies have the most athletic kids in the country especially at under 18.

@MutableEarth has he trained with the first team? He needs to play back to goal vs big Gabi and get dealt with.
Yeah he has a few times now, most recently this week. There's a picture of him tracking Rice. As it was pointed out aswell, a cursory look at his style of play would tell you he tends to use technical skill more than his physical traits - the latter he employs more out of possession which also bodes well.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard

Yep, this is a good point. Cherno Samba is an example of a player who was incredible at youth level but as soon as you put him up against men the same size, it was a different ball game.

Chidi-Obi should just be allowed to develop in the youth ranks with occasional invites to train with the first team. We don't know what his mentality is like playing at a higher level. For all we know, he might get nervous from the expectation being placed on him so early.

The form he's showing for the U18's, he'll have to show that REGULARLY against Gabriel and Saliba to have any chance of competing for a first team match day spot.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom