• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Walking in a Bentley Wonderland - Generation A

Arsene

In my opinion Bentley has already been overrated. I for example have yet to see many artibutes that most of the great number 10's have. The first-touch for example can still be developed, touches as those Berkamp showed in his various array of stunning goals. (Newcastle etc) Touch is essential. I've yet to see any significant heading ability. It's not Wenger's style, but no matter where you play on the park to be the complete player no. 10's are suppose to be heading ability is an important part to the game. I'm not sure as to how much pace he has also. He's yet to prove many things, passing for example; a bright future possibly but things mentioned in that article in my opinion are extreme, like putting cyruff and maradona in the same paragragh as berkamp and guilt =).

But you've stated in your last paragraph much of this. Nice piece!

n_henry

Well, they're certainly making a bit of a fuss, eh? :?

The comparisons/mentions of those legendary number 10's is a bit premature...

But still, great article, and hopefully David lives up the hype. :D

lewdikris

Established Member
The Cruyff thing was only to suggest that the greatest no 10s simply are the very greatest players .... and Gullit was the one, after a relatively dry period, who finally picked up Cruyff's mantle, although he was a VERY different player. If Bentley's ever even fit to kiss their boots, he;ll be a bloody good player.

jeremiesgirl

I think its too early to compare him against the likes of Bergkamp....hes just getting all the hype because he's English. It was a good goal he scored but lets not expect too much too soon.

Arsene

I personlly think Aliadere will out shine Bentley. I base this mainly on the feel of his play and the few glimpses i've seen of him. If i was a scout i'd pick him, his first touch is wonderful, and can turn a play, has good shot and technique.

But what really seperats them is aliadere has come from the same youth academy in france as one thierry daniel henry, which show pedigree.

And no i'm not into horse training.

Adam

Established Member
He has run the show for the England Under 20's each time i have seen him (despite Rooney playing in the same side). He has either had an assist with a typical visionary pass, or scored a goal.

As Lewd mentions - he will have to learn to dominate the flow of offensive play more. Sporadically, he shows he is excells in his touch, vision, striking technique, on the spot skill and confined dribbling ala Bergkamp.

And as Bergkamp mentions - all he needs now is that extra pace, strength and power top flight games and the increasing of age will give him.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Bentley doesn't seem the most level-headed guy in the world. A little less arrogance and a bit more concentration on the basic things is what is needed in my view. Hopefully he won't get too carried away with his goal and will knuckle down and make a big effort at forcing himself in to the first team squad on a regular basis. There's no doubt that the talent is there.

leongsh

Excellent article, lewdikris.

The articles being put up on Arsenal-Mania are better written than most of the articles on Arsenal that are out on the internet. Bravo! Keep up the good work.

Been reading the site for awhile, but not being an Arsenal fan i'd never really felt the need to post yet. But the Bentley article was excellent.

I think Le Tiss was up their with Beardsley in terms of English in the 'hole' players. His lack of caps does prove your point about our preference for hard running and hard work over actually genius in the English game. I think there's was quote attributed to Cruyff saying that if he'd have been Dutch he'd of had 50+ caps.

Bentley's goal was very reminiscent of Le Tiss in his prime.

He's always impressed me when he's played for England youths. We really missed him at the World Youth Championships.

lewdikris

Established Member
Le Tissier basically spent his career stuck in midfield when he should have played in the hole. We've wasted a lot of talent by not nurturing this position...

zerofeel

yeah its true i gotta agree that Bentley is getting all the hype only because he is english and Arsenal has so few first teamers that are english and the media is playing it all up although in truth,bentley does posess that talent and flair so rare in an english player ....reckon he will definetely have a role to play in the future for arsenal..Arsène seem to like this kid alot...he just need to gain some mass and more experience in the top flight.

JGooner

On the available evidence, Bentley has more potential than Aliadiere. People within the club seem to rate him higher - they have been making the Bergkamp comparison for ages, whereas they only talk about Aliadiere as someone who could end up as a very good striker, rather than an adequate replacement for one of our existing stars. In terms of pure footballing technique, Bentley has the edge. Aliadiere is older than Bentley but isn't any more advanced than him physically (it is true that he missed time through injury but so did Bentley - he broke his leg only 9 months ago!).

I don't think Bentley has an attitude problem either. He is confident, but that is an attribute. According to people with access to the club (dixon, alan smith, etc) he is eager to learn and always absorbs advice. He has never done anything similar to Pennant’s various misdemeanours. No arrogant quotes, no lateness, no laziness in training sessions, no off-field or on-field misbehavior. The few quotes we hear from him are masterworks of humility and deference (he even called Danny Mills one of the best right backs in the country and said that he would be thrilled to be half as good as Franny Jeffers!).

Adidas are already very excited about him and he is being earmarked as a future “brand” by marketing people, but he seems focused on the football. Apparently, he struggles to sleep at night because he is so excited about going training with the first team in the morning.

patrick42uk

Established Member
JGooner said:
Adidas are already very excited about him and he is being earmarked as a future “brand” by marketing people, but he seems focused on the football.

how do you know this?

JGooner

It was from a very good article (either in a broadsheet or a middle market paper like the Evening Standard) about our young players that I read last summer, around the time when Wenger was saying that our youngsters would starting coming through and we would not need to buy. There was a brief profile of all of them, and the Bentley profile mentioned the Adidas/marketing thing. it also said that his agent is a bigshot from SEM who is determined to prevent him from being distracted by the commercial interest.

Another thing: I found an article by Patrick Barclay of the Telegraph from late 2002 which says...

"A perfect illustration of (Stuart Baxter's) own belief in bringing out their personalities was the performance of David Bentley, an 18-year-old from Arsenal who, in an attacking midfield role devised by Baxter, reminded me of Pablo Aimar. What a footballer Bentley should become; seldom, since first clapping eyes on David Beckham more than a decade ago, have I been as impressed by a young Englishman. He is yet another reason for Eriksson to stay put."

As I said earlier, the hype long predates Saturday's goal.

patrick42uk

Established Member
the aimar comparison is a bit of an exaggeration. I hope we dont build this kid up too much, expect too much too soon. Patience is important with youngsters like him.

EJub

It was nice to see Bentley do well.

For some reason, I remembered how pathetic I thought it was
when Jeffers had the ball passed to him numerous times so that
he could score against Everton.

Bentley created his own chance, and it looked like one of those
special Dennis chips we tend to only see in the Champions League.

Without taking his 15 minute performance too far, he is encouraging.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom