• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: He came, he saw, he conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Ra

It will be interesting to see what will happen when Özil's form does drop eventually, as it is bound to do. What will happen if his stats go back to maybe being a bit better than the previous seasons?

My guess would be that the "doubters" will be back pretty much in an instant. I don't know why, but there seems to be something about him, maybe his laid-back elegance or his shyness that makes him very likeable for some people but provokes others.

At the moment it's virtually impossible to disregard his achievements but once any opportunity to do so arrives the backslash will be even harder I guess. Somehow he just seems to be a guy some people love to hate on - in a very strange way. It was the same at Madrid and still is very much the same in Germany.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It will be interesting to see what will happen when Özil's form does drop eventually, as it is bound to do. What will happen if his stats go back to maybe being a bit better than the previous seasons?

My guess would be that the "doubters" will be back pretty much in an instant.

I don't think it will ever be as bad. He's shown what many, if not all, wanted to see now. He's adapted physically and mentally--as he and Wenger have said themselves--and he knows what he himself is capable of in this league. Once he drops off, it will be just another player losing a bit of form. It's expected.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Even in the league, he has been poor at home while most of his best performances have come away from home, with the team attacking and him getting acres of space. At home, when teams crowd the middle of the park to prevent some from moving the ball around, he is handicapped.

Expect another below par performance on Saturday. Morgan and Carrick will mark him out of the game and he will fail to influence the proceedings, unless we can nick an early goal and United bomb forward for an equalizer.

Ah yes another one predicting a poor performance from him vs United. :lol:

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
This is a fantastic post:

I really admire Özil at times, but anyone who thinks we can't improve on him is delusional. I'd swap him in a heart beat for someone like Gotze or Fekir next summer. Someone that shows a bit of fight and can actually score goals too?

It actually begs to be exposed, as he's calling people delusional, when his post is exactly that, delusional.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This is a fantastic post:

It actually begs to be exposed, as he's calling people delusional, when his post is exactly that, delusional.
Dont want to put a dampener on the lolz, but I think that's harsh.

Nobody came in then to poo poo that post, and this is the crux of it. Then. Because up until then, he wasn't a pivotal part of the side. Nobody was laughing back then. It wasn't really 'delusional'.

FWIW, I wouldn't have wanted Gotze or Fekir, but that's besides the point.

say yes

forum master baiter
A Benyayoun/Özil comparison was and will always be ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on the Milner one.

What else are we actually debating here? Özil was underwhelming during his first season, all the more frustrating given his ability. He came back looking a different player in January and was arguably our best performer until the end of the season. Technique was always there but he's improved physically and mentally appears to be taking far more responsibility.

As good as Özil was at the end of last season, there's been a definite step-up again this year. He has been spectacular. Our best performer (or close to it) in every game right from the off, and his end product has gone through the roof. He's world-class, end of.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
'He is football's Ian Bell, if any English cricket fan can make sense of this analogy. Majestic technique, looks wonderful, does a great job when the team is playing superbly, but totally out of his depth when the chips are down because of he has no cojones and aspires zero confidence. In truth, a nothing player.

In spite of being around for years, none can claim with a straight face that prior to a match, they do not fear that he will be dire.'

Guess who liked this post?:lol:

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
*eating popcorn furiously*

iamfurious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom