• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: He came, he saw, he conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Thing is, it was obvious he was going to start hitting big numbers. His chance creation has been more or less steady.

But lets not pretend people weren't writing him off and only saying he should be doing better. That's the revisionism here if anything. Calls for him to be sold, that he was a waste, and that players of his like should never brought in again are not what people say when they are merely thinking he's good enough to be doing more.
It wasn't obvious to me! Above all, I didn't have faith in Wenger managing him correctly. But he got it right eventually. Yes, I'd have sold him if I had the chance too. No shame at all in admitting that. Great players don't always come good in different environments for various reasons. That's a fact.

No, nobody has said that. All people said was he can do ALOT better, and we should expect it. Bending the truth doesn't make your point valid.

People are much happier than they were for a reason., but you seem to be struggling to accept the fact that he has improved a great deal! Just enjoy your sweet prince, and refrain from silly backtracking, blaming 'forum negativity' for wanting more. Let the truth flow through you. It will set you free! :lol:

Nah, özil always been that good. Fans with unreal expextistions were the ones trying to bring him now. Jury... Özil have been having a stormer of a season but only now recently you come to accept him as decent player. Even still you try to pop up with some negative comments about özil when most agree about him having good game.

Still remember you trying to take away a legit assist from my sweet prince!!!

No, nobody has said that. All people said was he can do ALOT better, and we should expect it. Bending the truth doesn't make your point!

Like to quote on that. The fact you didnt say it but yet only started to accept him as good player when he had fancy stat to back it up makes it true.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Nah, özil always been that good. Fans with unreal expextistions were the ones trying to bring him now. Jury... Özil have been having a stormer of a season but only now recently you come to accept him as decent player. Even still you try to pop up with some negative comments about özil when most agree about him having good game.

Still remember you trying to take away a legit assist from my sweet prince!!!

It's only recently that he's gone up to this 'insane level' that you readily acknowledge to be the case! You keep saying it for me, but then you deny it's happened! One can't have it every way :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Like to quote on that. The fact you didnt say it but yet only started to accept him as good player when he had fancy stat to back it up makes it true.
ffs, I always knew he was a great player. The question was: 'can he be a great player for Arsenal?' Being great for Madrid was all well and good, but I couldnt give a **** about his exploits in Spain.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Of course there were some saying that he was always 'overrated'. Ive never agreed with that. If I did, I wouldnt have wanted him here to replace Cesc 5 years ago. I can find you that very post if you like.

Iceman10

Established Member
Thing is, it was obvious he was going to start hitting big numbers. His chance creation has been more or less steady.

But lets not pretend people weren't writing him off and only saying he should be doing better. That's the revisionism here if anything. Calls for him to be sold, that he was a waste, and that players of his like should never brought in again are not what people say when they are merely thinking he's good enough to be doing more.

The nub was exactly this: sticking with the project and understanding it as opposed to wanting him out. It was a certain section of fans trying to hound him out which bothered me more than anything else. Also understanding that long term signing Özil as a centre-piece was superior to Cesc as a centre-piece (in the present, not 2010).

Özil's second season should have been better but there was no proper pre-season on the back of the world cup, and then he got injured, which ironically helped him in the long run to give him a chance to focus more on gym work. At the same time we're only a few seasons removed from rebuilding after selling our best players, so it was about building around Özil, which in some ways is still ongoing.

blaze_of_glory

It wasn't obvious to me! Above all, I didn't have faith in Wenger managing him correctly. But he got it right eventually. Yes, I'd have sold him if I had the chance too. No shame at all in admitting that.

It seems to me that with all the chances he creates, the assists were going to start coming. They just had to eventually.

What I'm not at all sure not sure of is what exactly has caused his production to go up as sharply as it has. His game doesn't appear to me to have changed much overall.. maybe our other players are just improving their finishing (hard to believe considering how many chances we still seem to miss), or he has learned his team mates a bit better. And maybe he's just gotten that tiny bit more ruthless in the box and that's all it has taken.

It might even just have been him getting off to a quick start and getting the confidence up right away. While I don't think his game has changed, he does look more confident in what he's doing and more willing to be the guy driving us forward.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
It's funny how little stick Sanchez has gotten in comparison, when their first two seasons are looking very similar now.

Both started like fire, both tailed off, both won FA Cup, both started the next season badly after winning major tournaments in the summer, etc.

Hypocrisy at its best, especially when you consider that Özil is twice the player.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
his production to go up as sharply as it has. His game doesn't appear to me to have changed much overall.. maybe our other players are just improving their finishing (hard to believe considering how many chances we still seem to miss), or he has learned his team mates a bit better. And maybe he's just gotten that tiny bit more ruthless in the box and that's all it has taken.

It might even just have been him getting off to a quick start and getting the confidence up right away. While I don't think his game has changed, he does look more confident in what he's doing and more willing to be the guy driving us forward.

There's been loads of quotes from Wenger and Özil himself as to why he's better now. Our finishing certainly hasnt improved from what Ive seen. People here even noted that since his injury, he's come back physically stronger at the very least.

Wenger has said he's noticed how much more he gets in and around the box. I thought this was all common knowledge!

This is beginning to play out like the scene from Dallas when Bobby Ewing woke up in the shower! :lol:

Jamrock

My guess would be that the "doubters" will be back pretty much in an instant. I don't know why, but there seems to be something about him, maybe his laid-back elegance or his shyness that makes him very likeable for some people but provokes others.

Shifting through older comments on this thread, Commenters back then were saying they would sacrifice Özil's chances created and assist stats for more fight, leadership and domination of play etc..

I think if he continues with the current bullish attitude that he has adapted this season then the chances created stat will be overlooked.. What I have noticed and come to understand is that EPL fans prefer hard workers, players who show that they care, show more fight etc.. As long as Özil dominates, shows leadership and runs about for 90 minutes like he has been doing this season then I think people will appreciate that more..

As they say, EPL fans prefer so called players that run about like headless chickens for 90 minutes.

lol..

blaze_of_glory

There's been loads of quotes from Wenger and Özil himself as to why he's better now. Our finishing certainly hasnt improved from what Ive seen. People here even noted that since his injury, he's come back physically stronger at the very least.

Wenger has said he's noticed how much more he gets in and around the box. I though this was all common knowledge!
Yeah there's no doubt the physical aspect has helped him. I just havent' noticed his game overall changing much, but I suppose it's just very subtle stuff that can make the difference.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
It seems to me that with all the chances he creates, the assists were going to start coming. They just had to eventually.

What I'm not at all sure not sure of is what exactly has caused his production to go up as sharply as it has. His game doesn't appear to me to have changed much overall.. maybe our other players are just improving their finishing (hard to believe considering how many chances we still seem to miss), or he has learned his team mates a bit better. And maybe he's just gotten that tiny bit more ruthless in the box and that's all it has taken.

There are various reasons in comparison to last season:

- Sanchez is shooting more, and creating less.

- Theo has got into the team, and he shots a lot.

- Ramsey is more hungrier for goals, and taking many shots.

- Giroud coming on as a sub guarantees you a few shots.

- Santi has left the show to the main man to create our chances.

Edit: the Santi part is actually wrong, as he was creating many chances up until recently.

We're shooting more this season at least, but it's started to tail off, we've had very few shots in recent games.

Sun Ra

Above all, I didn't have faith in Wenger managing him correctly. But he got it right eventually. Yes, I'd have sold him if I had the chance too. No shame at all in admitting that. Great players don't always come good in different environments for various reasons. That's a fact.
I only started reading this forum regularly quite recently, but as far as I remember, people who said that he was mismanaged, didn't have the right players to play his through-balls to etc, were often accused of making up excuses for him, weren't they? The general idea among the doubters was that people were trying to protect Özil from justified criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom