• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

There's plenty of room for players like Iwobi though, is he any less special than someone like Willian for example who's pretty much main use is his transition play, work rate, tidy passing and occasionally his set-pieces. Even Rosicky and Hleb in our 07/08 season weren't exactly scoring and assisting every week. To me he doesn't look like someone who you'll see as a vital attacking player in the coming years, but he could be an extremely useful player for us. He has so many positive attributes. I'd also say Fabregas and Wilshere are rarities, there's been plenty of players who've emerged without looking like world-beaters in their teen years.

If you go around comparing every youngster to Fabregas and Wilshere then you'd give no one the chance of making it. And I understand a very small percentage do actually make it but I still wouldn't write off players based on not looking like those two at a certain age either.

Sweggeh

Iwobi will be a top player. Has real intelligence on the ball. Miles ahead of the likes of Walcott and Ox in terms of on the ball intelligence at such a young age. He makes the right decision more often than not.

Once he gets more confident in the first team, you will start to see what he is really about in terms of end product. For now he is showing he can fit into our team, and its a great start.

Reyes

There's plenty of room for players like Iwobi though, is he any less special than someone like Willian for example who's pretty much main use is his transition play, work rate, tidy passing and occasionally his set-pieces. Even Rosicky and Hleb in our 07/08 season weren't exactly scoring and assisting every week. To me he doesn't look like someone who you'll see as a vital attacking player in the coming years, but he could be an extremely useful player for us. He has so many positive attributes. I'd also say Fabregas and Wilshere are rarities, there's been plenty of players who've emerged without looking like world-beaters in their teen years.

If you go around comparing every youngster to Fabregas and Wilshere then you'd give no one the chance of making it. And I understand a very small percentage do actually make it but I still wouldn't write off players based on not looking like those two at a certain age either.

Willian is actually a very good comparison. He has some similar attributes for sure. Just a more goofy style, but the type of player is similar. Smart, collected and sometimes capable of magic. That would be great, if he could get to something of that level I'd be happy.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Genuinely don't disagree with anything much you've written there.

It's a credit to him that he didn't look particularly out of place. But at the same time, he's nothing to shout out about like Wilshere/Fabregas etc were at the same age. No-one likes to admit it but you've got to be really really special to make it at the top level.
Everyone thinks every young player will make it.

Unfortunately they won't. At least not here but they'll go somewhere and make a tidy fortune and retire at 34 .

Reyes

Everyone thinks every young player will make it.

Unfortunately they won't. At least not here but they'll go somewhere and make a tidy fortune and retire at 34 .

No one who is seriously discussing Iwobi today is saying every youngster will make it. They just say Iwobi has a chance, he has played well, why not develop him and try to envision how he could play in two, three years? Stylistically, I think he almost embodies Arsenal, that's why I rate him and that's why I think a lot of people rare him. Including Wenger. It's fun to come along a player who plays like you want him to play.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Needs to go for more through balls imo, but overall good passing and forward dribbling.

You know that when he has the ball, it'll safely get to another player, which is a very good start. He'll arrive at a point where he needs to do that extra little bit more though, wish to see a bit more risk in his game once in a while.

Sweggeh

Needs to go for more through balls imo, but overall good passing and forward dribbling.

You know that when he has the ball, it'll safely get to another player, which is a very good start. He'll arrive at a point where he needs to do that extra little bit more though, wish to see a bit more risk in his game once in a while.
You can't expect him to make risky plays when this is literally the second or third game he has ever started for us. Look how long it took Campbell to get comfortable to really start showing off his passing and skills.

New players tend to go for the safe option first because they are wary of making a mistake. Give him time to get comfortable and we will see the best of him.

Aevi

Hale End FC
You can't expect him to make risky plays when this is literally the second or third game he has ever started for us. Look how long it took Campbell to get comfortable to really start showing off his passing and skills.

New players tend to go for the safe option first because they are wary of making a mistake. Give him time to get comfortable and we will see the best of him.
Read my comment again. I referred to risk as being a goal of the future.

And through balls aren't always that risky, as much as safe is good at a young age he passes sideways a tad too much. I'm just trying to be constructive, you can't only be full of praise.

Reyes

I think he means long term, Sweggeh. If he gets more chances, he will need that indeed. I have seen a few nice dribbles of him in the box already that ended unlucky. Also, what Aevius said about him playing to a red shirt every time he gets the ball, that's a huge positive if you see Ox sometimes. And, he plays the majority of those passes forward, if I'm correct. He was already running in behind the defense against Burnley a few times too. Didn't really see that as much against Sunderland. He is getting more confident.

say yes

forum master baiter

The **** :eek:

There's a lot of overrating of Arsenal players on this forum, and especially our younger guns, but this really takes the biscuit.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm saying that Willian wasn't a Wilshere/Fabregas level youngster and if Iwobi was to progress to a top level he'd probably be around what Willian is in terms of how he plays and his overall productivity.

Sweggeh

I'm saying that Willian wasn't a Wilshere/Fabregas level youngster and if Iwobi was to progress to a top level he'd probably be around what Willian is in terms of how he plays and his overall productivity.
Its obvious what you meant. I think reading isn't that guys strong point.

Reyes

It's. Guy's.

Don't worry though, it's obvious what you meant.

I like your persistence in refusing to acknowledge you didn't read very well. Going with the change-of-direction grammar nazi kind of thing seems the sort of thing that fits your style. Points for staying in character. As for the Iwobi ceiling: I guess his floor at the moment is decent Sunderland player, and a Willian ceiling is pretty reasonable. Not saying he will get there, but I like his chances as an Arsenal squaddie.

say yes

forum master baiter
I like your persistence in refusing to acknowledge you didn't read very well. Going with the change-of-direction grammar nazi kind of thing seems the sort of thing that fits your style. Points for staying in character. As for the Iwobi ceiling: I guess his floor at the moment is decent Sunderland player, and a Willian ceiling is pretty reasonable. Not saying he will get there, but I like his chances as an Arsenal squaddie.

I read perfectly well and am writing up a response to Tir Na Nog at the moment. Apologies for taking time over my posts rather than turning out mindless drivel. Guess that's more points for staying in character.

Impact

Established Member
Really like him. Technically strong; effortlessly mobile; tactically intelligent and humble. Could make it here.

say yes

forum master baiter

Pretty optimistic. Willian's a champions league regular and brazilian international, who's already been transferred for ~£70m worth, won the league as a starter in two different countries and is currently the best player at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I'd say that's significantly more 'special' than Iwobi. Maybe I'm wrong and we've got quite the talent on our hands but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom