• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Just a worry that while this kid may have all the tools we have to invest time in him. It's unfortunate but I'm fed up being a development school.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Honestly would start him in Swansea at home. Put him on the wing.

Quite honestly should be a wake up call to Chamberlain and Walcott and their future at the club.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just a worry that while this kid may have all the tools we have to invest time in him. It's unfortunate but I'm fed up being a development school.
Think you can give him minutes without him costing us points. He's not a defensive player and his decision making is already better than the Ox's.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Think you can give him minutes without him costing us points. He's not a defensive player and his decision making is already better than the Ox's.
I see a serious problem there but don't worry you're not alone.

Better decision making than the Ox in what two or three games? The Ox after his United performance was heralded to much fan fare and has been given nothing but time to improve and develop

We've seen young players stagnate and worse regress. So let's not get too carried away with what he is or what he isn't at this junction.

The reason I'm cautious is because we've seen it too often in the past. Not pushing the boat out for a signing because it might hinder someone elsewhere. With the end in sight for Rosicky, Arteta and Flamini I had genuine hope we'd go out and get the finished article and not someone we'd have to invest another five or six years into developing them. Walcott is here ten years and still a project in many ways, the same applies to the Ox and Ramsey. Elneny is another one where we don't know where he is at and if he'll turn into the player we hope for. It's another waiting game.

Wenger doesn't have the luxury of waiting any more age is catching up on him and we are a squad that is continously in transition playing catch up. This year we might catch up only to start all over again.

Last edited:

GOONER1991

Established Member
Underrated star this kid. As has been mentioned, he seems to have a top mentality. Technically he is excellent, especially in his ball reception. I thought creatively he was excellent today. Very excited to see more of him. Arsène clearly sees something in him. Hopefully he continues to improve and doesn't stand still like some of our talents.

CJJ

Established Member
I like the fact that he tries the to make stuff happen, his first touch passes are usually dangerous and well thought out.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
If he's effective for us then great, but I don't want him to stop us signing a finished article. Our "reserve" players need to get minutes which many of them are albeit elsewhere. I think there's room for him to start and come on as a sub this season but I'm not sure he's ready to play regularly yet. The last thing we want is for him to stall like Walcott and Ox and tbh we can't afford to let this happen.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I see a serious problem there but don't worry you're not alone.

Better decision making than the Ox in what two or three games? The Ox after his United performance was heralded to much fan fare and has been given nothing but time to improve and develop

We've seen young players stagnate and worse regress. So let's not get too carried away with what he is or what he isn't at this junction.

The reason I'm cautious is because we've seen it too often in the past. Not pushing the boat out for a signing because it might hinder someone elsewhere. With the end in sight for Rosicky, Arteta and Flamini I had genuine hope we'd go out and get the finished article and not someone we'd have to invest another five or six years into developing them. Walcott is here ten years and still a project in many ways, the same applies to the Ox and Ramsey. Elneny is another one where we don't know where he is at and if he'll turn into the player we hope for. It's another waiting game.

Wenger doesn't have the luxury of waiting any more age is catching up on him and we are a squad that is continously in transition playing catch up. This year we might catch up only to start all over again.
No seriously. Even when the Ox was terrorising defences he was a confidence player, he's never been an astute decision maker and his first touch,passing and general play become very inconsistent when he's low on confidence.

Iwobi demonstrates a good base level of actual football understanding, he also has the technical ability of a hale end graduate. He offers better general play than Theo already.

He's shown he deserves the minutes of a squad player like Rosicky. I for one don't want us not signing players because of him, but it's time to replace the injury prone squad players with high potential young players who can actually play when available.

Last edited:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

@Trilly I don't think we're miles apart on wanting a young player in and around the squad for minutes, particularly high quality young players. The issue I have, and the Ox is more an illustrative point of a broader issue in my mind, aside from Fabregas we've never brought through a young player who has regularly performed at a good to top level for a prolonged period of time. You could say Nasri but he frequently under performed or went missing. RVP who hit great heights spent long periods out and that comes back to my issue that we wouldn't want to block someone's opportunity. RVP may never have become the player he did had Wenger signed an elite striker. And you have to question was Wenger right to handle that situation in the way he did. Is he putting the personal interests of the player ahead of the team (without covering old ground an elite fits striker when we had Cesc could have changed the course or history but this is a point rather than something to get in depth about)

I look at our current squad and see Bellerin, Chambers, Wilshere, Ramsey, Gibbs, Campbell, Ox, Elneny* Welbeck all under 25 who've had either Sizeable game time or money invested and all of whom it can be argued should be improved upon either for not being good enough or being regularly injured. That's without looking at Giroud, Mertesacker and Cazorla (age) who need improved /replaced.

Anyway I suppose in its simplest form, if Iwobi is to be that young player we need to move on players whom we've invested the time in and not had the expected returns. We cannot simply keep collecting young players like they are trading cards.

*he has had a modest sum and feck all game time but as our only outfield signing this season he merits inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom