• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL | PSG v Arsenal | 13th of September at 19:45 (GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Good result I thought, the performance....well. The first half was a catastrophe, the second half a bit better but all in all I'm still puzzled as to how ready we are for this season.

Axel_Gunner

i was so happy looking forward the game...

then the team was announced............ ****
then kickoff... aaaand its 1-0............. ****
then we play............. ****
cavani plays ****.........thank god.
we get a goal and point. okay :lol:

a 3-0 for PSG was more likely than 1-1. football can be harsh. we didnt deserve it. i take it.

all in all i am worried about our performances since season started. i dont understand Wenger's plan or tactics. We havent made a real good game for 90 mins (no, we didnt do well vs Watford!!).

Last edited:

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
We didn't have anyone who wanted to make a run, fair play to Coquelin who spotted this and took it upon himself to do it.
We missed Walcott and Ramsey, technically limited though they are they do make good runs.
The team had no structure, Özil is too deep, Coquelin was basically always beyond him, Sanchez comes much too deep for a lone striker, Coquelin was beyond him quite alot as well.
Iwobi is too narrow, he is an attacking midfielder not a winger, as a result we have no players high up the pitch and no width, oh yeah and their right back is never marked.

We should have bought a top winger who plays high up the pitch and runs behind, a Reus, Robben type, it would have done wonders for this team.
It would have helped Giroud massively as well.

We should play 433, Sanchez, Giroud and Walcott all upfront.
Özil plays too deep for what is essentially a support striker, we lose goals and numbers up the pitch.
If he wants to pick up the ball in our own half all the time then just play him in a three man midfield, like Iniesta, or City have done with Silva.

Salieri

Lord! That is Monday morning quarter backing at its best, specially when one does not have all the facts but still spouts authoritative opinions.

A couple of infos:
- Theo was injured, hence Ox started.
- Giroud is not fit to start, period. Arsène said it before the game
- Ospina is an international GK, one of the best in the world today. For him to stay, he has to have some guarantee he will play some games. He was promised to start in the CL and to keep his spot if he performs. Arsène pretty much confirmed that after the game. If he did not get that guarantee, we would have Chez the clown as our back up keeper.
- Xhaka did not start indeed, but lets wait for the rationale behind that before speculating ad nauseaum.

Mate. I think half of your reply is true, the other is a lie. And all of it is BS.

The truth: Ospina situation. Not one big club & top manager does this BS to appease his 2nd choice GK. If you agree with Wenger, then you, like him, put the players above the club!

The lie: Giroud readiness. At the 24th minute, we all saw Oli warming up with Xhaka & Gibbs. Not being ready here doesn't mean he's injured because he was warming up, right? And if he's not fir enough to play 90 minutes then by all means start him and sub him off at 60-65 mark since he is the best striker we have at this moment.

Xhaka situation is just baffling to say the least. And he wasn't speculating about his situation. Just stating the fact that he was the best player for the Swiss NT. Keeping him on the bench for one game might be excusable. But benching him for most of our games so far warrants a mention. If you are willing to wait for an explanation from Wenger then good on you, but it is worth mentioning nonetheless.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Mate. I think half of your reply is true, the other is a lie. And all of it is BS.

The truth: Ospina situation. Not one big club & top manager does this BS to appease his 2nd choice GK. If you agree with Wenger, then you, like him, put the players above the club!

The lie: Giroud readiness. At the 24th minute, we all saw Oli warming up with Xhaka & Gibbs. Not being ready here doesn't mean he's injured because he was warming up, right? And if he's not fir enough to play 90 minutes then by all means start him and sub him off at 60-65 mark since he is the best striker we have at this moment.

Xhaka situation is just baffling to say the least. And he wasn't speculating about his situation. Just stating the fact that he was the best player for the Swiss NT. Keeping him on the bench for one game might be excusable. But benching him for most of our games so far warrants a mention. If you are willing to wait for an explanation from Wenger then good on you, but it is worth mentioning nonetheless.
Last season Chelsea couldn't hold on to Cech and Courtois because Mourinho did what you just said. So Cech left and came to us, Courtois was injured, and Chelsea shipped goals like a sieve.

Playing Ospina was not only good for the club, but good for him and gave us a much needed draw. He is a very good keeper.

Whatever Wenger does, every Tom, **** and Harry who plays FIFA knows better. But the thing is . . . they don't.

Maxim

We didn't have anyone who wanted to make a run, fair play to Coquelin who spotted this and took it upon himself to do it.
We missed Walcott and Ramsey, technically limited though they are they do make good runs.
The team had no structure, Özil is too deep, Coquelin was basically always beyond him, Sanchez comes much too deep for a lone striker, Coquelin was beyond him quite alot as well.

Sorry, fair play to Coquelin for running beyond özil and Sanchez ?

He was probably told to do that but it was absolutely the wrong decision.

He's in the team for his defensive ability, we all know he's atrocious going forward so why on earth would you have him as the most advanced midfielder?

It crippled us in the first half because Santi was the only midfield option available and PSG targeted him, which basically broke our whole midfield.

We looked completely ineffectual going forward and incredibly vulnerable at the back. This strategy of Coq being more advanced than Santi has seen us absolutely scrape a win vs Southampton then avoid an absolute spanking through sheer luck.

It has to change.

Uncle Good-Advice

I think there are still some fitness issues and it's a deciding factor when it comes to team selection. Looking at PSG you could clearly see that a lot of their players are not match fit as well. In my opinion both teams are set to peak physically in second half of the season.

Of course it doesn't explain such a poor performance and usual tactical ineptitude shown by our manager and players.

Salieri

I am not sure why everyone is so upset with the team selection. I mean how do any of us know the fitness levels of these players. I think Wenger played the team based on the fitness level. Also we just bought mustafi. It will take a month or two before we will get used to pressing higher. So till such a time we will see spacing issues. I am very happy with the result. I can count so many matches where we outplayed other teams and came away with nothing. It is not important to play well now. It is important to improve slowly for the second half of the season

Going by your approach, and if he picked the team according to their readiness & fitness levels, then Xhaka should've started. He had a great Euro and a good rest. Was our first summer signing too, so should also be fully integrated into the team already! Unlike Mustafi for instance who joined the club 2 weeks ago, spending one of those with the German NT. Of course I realize that we have options in midfield compared to defense, but playing the lesser options in our opening CL game vs the strongest team in the group away from home is illogical...! Sanchez up front was illogical. Maybe he wanted to throw PSG off their game with that lineup?? But flicking through the other CL games last night, every big team had their best 11 on the pitch except Arsenal. And that's why many find it baffling. Only Wenger does that!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Speculation at best. He played deeper in the second half and was taken off, which more suggests the manager spoke to him at half-time and wasn't happy.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

He's in the team for his defensive ability, we all know he's atrocious going forward so why on earth would you have him as the most advanced midfielder?

It crippled us in the first half because Santi was the only midfield option available and PSG targeted him, which basically broke our whole midfield.

We looked completely ineffectual going forward and incredibly vulnerable at the back. This strategy of Coq being more advanced than Santi has seen us absolutely scrape a win vs Southampton then avoid an absolute spanking through sheer luck.

It has to change.

I said fair play to him for doing it because I refuse to believe that we planned to have our technically limited holding midfielder running beyond our forwards.
The fact is no-one else made any runs, Sanchez and Özil both come to the ball every time and Iwobi comes infield.
If Coquelin doesn't make those runs, chances are nobody would of and it's piss easy to defend against, his running helped create the limited chances we had.

Obviously we would rather have our forward players making runs but none of them do or at least none of them did.
If the manager was going to instruct someone to run in behind you assume he would have chosen Sanchez or Chamberlain, even Iwobi, which is why I assumed Coquelin saw what was happening and took it upon himself.

Just to be clear I'm not advocating this is something I like or see as a great future plan for success, all I'm saying is last night it helped.

natural

Established Member
Ospina saved our as*es, we were completely pathetic yesterday, and I'd personally like to thank Cavani.

Goonerozil33

Maybe you never heard of Barcelona and Real Madrid. They did the same. Barca did the same for two seasons.

Criticising Wenger for not starting him is silly. There is no need to push Xhaka to deep end. Introduce him slowly. We have not lost anything yet because of it.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I wasnt happy with starting 11 but you could sense it knowing Wenger.
Thats where I see the biggest reason for our bad patches during the game, as our team selection wasn't the best for such a game.
then again, knowing that, it was interesting to see how we do, especially after an early goal.

I saw lots of negativity after saints game, and this one, something I completely disagree.
We get into chances with such ease and quickness, and what concerns some (how ready are we for the season), actually makes me optimistic. Season is long and no one can go thru it playing top stuff all the time. With us, you can see it going natural way. Its clear we need time to get new boys click with the team, and our system to grow with that.
Its only going up for us, and I see lots of encouraging stuff

Iwobi is a monster

MagicalRozza

What a ****e performance and what a good result. With Arsenal I am used to having these things the other way around. We really sucked yesterday and it was painfull to watch. We are now proud holders of the title "the team that allowed PSG to score the quickest goal ever". I don't give a **** about "Wenger's deep knowledge of the team and the game which allowed him to stay at the top of the game for many years on limited budget" arguments. This team had no plan, no forward drive (except for Iwobi) and a midget at CF. Sure we were surprised by the goal but **** happens and proper manager adopts the tactics to such changes. I should be happy with the draw but it just tastes bitter.

Goonerozil33

Going by your approach, and if he picked the team according to their readiness & fitness levels, then Xhaka should've started. He had a great Euro and a good rest. Was our first summer signing too, so should also be fully integrated into the team already! Unlike Mustafi for instance who joined the club 2 weeks ago, spending one of those with the German NT. Of course I realize that we have options in midfield compared to defense, but playing the lesser options in our opening CL game vs the strongest team in the group away from home is illogical...! Sanchez up front was illogical. Maybe he wanted to throw PSG off their game with that lineup?? But flicking through the other CL games last night, every big team had their best 11 on the pitch except Arsenal. And that's why many find it baffling. Only Wenger does that!
Like i said, we don t have information to assess the fitness and readyness level of the players. Whether this was the strongest team or not is a question that is hard to answer. It is a squad game and you pick the players you feel is better suited to a match. That might depend on various factors. Sanchez at CF is an experiment. There is no guarantee that Giroud or Perez would have done any better. First half, PSG was pressing very well. Giroud's performance when he came on might have been an improvement. But it is hard to argue that he would have done better if he had started. If he was on the pitch earlier, PSG would not have sat back in the beginning of second half and might have pushed higher. The important thing is to get the points we need. The performance is not that important now. As long as we steadily improve that is good for me

Goonerozil33

I think playing AOC now is very important. If we plays himself into form he will be a huge asset against big teams. If he does not then we have given him sufficient chances and he failed to take it. People saying his touch is bad, decision making is bad should watch other players when they are out of form. Sanchez when he is out of form displays similar issues like AOC(I admit Sanchez is superior overall and his bad level might be better than AOC's bad level). Ramsey in 2011-12 was in a similar bad situation. Making frustrating choices and looking like a pub team player. Wenger is trying to give him confidence and game time to help him improve. If you look at his 5 years in Arsenal, he has not got a lot if minutes under his belt, which means he might not have developed well enough like other players.

Maxim

Speculation at best. He played deeper in the second half and was taken off, which more suggests the manager spoke to him at half-time and wasn't happy.

Well, yes. We're all speculating here...

I just don't think Wenger would stand for insubordination of that level - especially from a player who provides next to nothing in an attacking sense.

ScotVieira

Established Member
When I saw that team list, I thought Wenger needed to be sectioned for playing Ospina and Ox.

I was massively wrong wrt Ospina as the guy showed that he is a top class goal keeper....I still have my doubts with crosses though.

I was right in respect of Ox as he helped to confirm that he should not be anywhere near the starting line up for a team like Arsenal. The guy should be loaned out. Playing him is not doing him any favour because it shows him up negatively.

Wenger right for playing Ospina.
Wenger wrong for playing Ox.

I am happy with the result.

Maxim

I said fair play to him for doing it because I refuse to believe that we planned to have our technically limited holding midfielder running beyond our forwards.
The fact is no-one else made any runs, Sanchez and Özil both come to the ball every time and Iwobi comes infield.
If Coquelin doesn't make those runs, chances are nobody would of and it's piss easy to defend against, his running helped create the limited chances we had.

Obviously we would rather have our forward players making runs but none of them do or at least none of them did.
If the manager was going to instruct someone to run in behind you assume he would have chosen Sanchez or Chamberlain, even Iwobi, which is why I assumed Coquelin saw what was happening and took it upon himself.

Just to be clear I'm not advocating this is something I like or see as a great future plan for success, all I'm saying is last night it helped.

I understand what you're trying to say but in my eyes Coquelin running beyond everyone exacerbated the situation instead of helping.

The attacking players were dropping deep because our midfield was completely incapable of building from deep and playing it up to them, we saw similar issues when Ramsey/Flamini and Ramsey/Coquelin were in midfield last season. There is no point in the likes of Alexis/Özil/Iwobi making runs in behind if there is 0 chance of them recieving - hence they dropped.

What he should have done was actually provide an option in midfield so Cazorla didn't have to do it all on his own and the other attacking players could stay high. Xhaka came on and did this and we immediately looked better, obviously having Alexis on the wing again helped too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom