• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Burnley FC vs Arsenal FC | 2nd of October at 16:30 (GMT)

What will the result be for the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yes it is worth the hassle. Because it is a legitimate goal and if we don t say that they will say it is an example of refereeing bias. You can look at the headlines in papers and see how everyone is saying it is a handball. That shows the amount of ignorance among football fans and pundits and reporters. If you don t want to correct the balance by trying then fine. But i want to. Anyways we won and we should be happy. The 3 points is all that matters, is nt it?
Since you don't want to agree to disagree then I'll start again.

Kos was offside.
Kos touch the ball first and then Ox kicked the ball to Kos' hands which was high and the ball was in. Okay the handball is contestable from FA vague rules but not the offside.
Ox kick even if there is no touch (which there was from Kos pained expression after the goal proof it - and no you can't say Ox only kick Kos' feet, the ball was also there) made Kos offside.
And no, even if you furiously defend the decision that they won't change their stance, people that call Vidic a hero for a blatant handball won't change their view.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, if I follow you, its a perfect decision. It really was an unfair decision so FA should change the rules like knvb did. Still happy though!
Do you actually think the Dutch league has its own handball rule. If they do I'll be shocked. It'll follow the Fifa rules for fouls which are

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I don't really understand how people are discounting both us and Tottenham, the teams who came 2nd and 3rd last year.

Given that Leicester are not winning it again, Arsenal should be considered the next best team and therefore the best positioned to take the title if they don't, surely? We've also fixed glaring errors in our squad, with quality additions.

I believe its us and Sp**s for the title, Pool might not even make top 4. If City avoid a big lull they'll be there or thereabouts, too. Think ManUre will finish about Pool as well, leaving them 5th.

Long time no see Markstar. Welcome back man.

Big big call you make there, namely it being a race between ourselves and Sp**s for the title.

I do not think its that simple to be honest. Yes both ourselves and Sp**s will be featuring at the top, but I dont think we can extrapolate the story of last season and just apply it to this one.

We have two excellent managers in Klopp and Guardiola. Not forgetting Mourinho as well, who is top class. I dont think it will be business as usual in line with the happenings of last year, as we have three men in the league who have more than enough ability to take the league.

It will be a four out of City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Sp**s, United, Chelsea for me. With any of those being able to win it or drop out the top four.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'd like to see them shake things up a bit when there's an opportunity and try Ramsey behind Alexis with Özil on the right. Or bring Lucas in and look at various combinations of Ramsey/Özil/Alexis behind him or wide.

It is very concerning to hear that they are jaded at this point.
I also hate it but I think the modern era football player is a pansy

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
I also hate it but I think the modern era football player is a pansy

I don't agree at all. The money, training methods, extra matches (particularly in Champions League), facilities (like flat quick pitches where the ball can be moved around quickly) that have come into the game have increased the pace, intensity, strength, athleticism and endurance required for the game, which stretches the limits of human physiology.

While all of these changes have taken place, the main things that have changed to manage these are; bigger squads, better training and recovery methods (but opposition teams also have all of these). Nevertheless, there are still 11 players on the pitch and only 1 extra sub compared to the 80s (although a bigger bench). The output on the pitch far exceeds what happened in previous eras and will result in more fatigue and more injuries of all types unless there is adequate rotation to compensate.

A tiny edge in fitness is now worth a lot in terms of money and therefore it is under intense scrutiny.

The limits of human physiology remain the same though.

What I was saying is that from an Arsenal point of view, it is concerning if they haven't been able to manage their squad to avoid feeling fatigue at this point. I'd expect it to come more later in October/November/December.

I feel that either the training or rotation should have been handled better to this point. However, Arsenal got the 3 points very fortuitously and hopefully can learn from that game. If they'd dropped points there due to the fatigue it could have been crucial. The problem of Wenger's lack of trust for a player like the Ox could become and issue again, however they are in a better position than previous years where they did not have adequate squad cover.

Last edited:

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
We have two excellent managers in Klopp and Guardiola. Not forgetting Mourinho as well, who is top class. I dont think it will be business as usual in line with the happenings of last year, as we have three men in the league who have more than enough ability to take the league.

Mourinho was **** last year. When you have a managerial style like his and you are ruthlessly exposed by your players downing tools, that is a fairly public embarrassment. He also is a manager who Utd didn't really want and passed on in favour of LVG who failed badly, and I think with good reason because his philosophy doesn't really match the club's. There's a lot of deadwood at the club to be cleared out too.

He has a lot to prove for me, and I'm hoping he has no success at Utd...

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Do you actually think the Dutch league has its own handball rule. If they do I'll be shocked. It'll follow the Fifa rules for fouls which are

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area
I honestly don't know, but I've seen so many handball situations explained in analysis and by the refs in post match interviews that I know one thing: a player can be possesed, blind, or shot by a sniper, if his hand is in the position that Kosc's hand was, and it goes in like that....clear advantage, handball, free kick and game over. Deliberate or not doesn't come into it.

*in the eredivisie.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I honestly don't know, but I've seen so many handball situations explained in analysis and by the refs in post match interviews that I know one thing: a player can be possesed, blind, or shot by a sniper, if his hand is in the position that Kosc's hand was, and it goes in like that....clear advantage, handball, free kick and game over. Deliberate or not doesn't come into it.

*in the eredivisie.
Thats their interpretation. They say the same in the Epl and Europe as well. Hand movement, natural position etc but it's all bullshit. It's deliberately handling the ball which I've only ever seen Suarez and Henry do. Actually also the German at rhe Euro's.

It's a daft rule. Unfair advantage is the easiest rule to determine cause nobody deliberately handles the ball. Even a keeper charging out of a box is most likely accidental as they think they're in the box.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Thats their interpretation. They say the same in the Epl and Europe as well. Hand movement, natural position etc but it's all bullshit. It's deliberately handling the ball which I've only ever seen Suarez and Henry do. Actually also the German at rhe Euro's.

It's a daft rule. Unfair advantage is the easiest rule to determine cause nobody deliberately handles the ball. Even a keeper charging out of a box is most likely accidental as they think they're in the box.
Perhaps it is their interpretation. I know a couple years ago the knvb instructed the refs to judge handball simply on the position of the arms you know. If its deliberate is very difficult to know, some players would not look out of place in hollywood. I like the unfair advantage form I'm used to.

This also explains the (to me) completely irregular way handballs are given in the premier league.

silent_shadow

Established Member
I blame wenger for this..........we could see the players were tired.
Why not rotate. I think bellerin was also below par.
We should have started with gibbs and the young rb we started in the league cup. Ox and elneny also should have started. What is the point of a big squad when you are not going to rotate.

Contrary to many here i knew this is how the match is going to turn in the first fifteen minutes when I said to my friend this match has a draw written all over it.

And by the way was lucas injured or something?

So you didn't know how the match would turn out then, considering we won.

nick gould

Both Giroud and Lucas were out injured but where was Chuba Akpon, or Yaya for that matter. The game was crying out for a target of some sort in the box. What was the point of having defenders on the bench and only one attacking player ( I say that with loosely). We very nearly dropped 2 points there because of lack of plan B.

TriniGunner

I blame wenger for this..........we could see the players were tired.
Why not rotate. I think bellerin was also below par.
We should have started with gibbs and the young rb we started in the league cup. Ox and elneny also should have started. What is the point of a big squad when you are not going to rotate.

Contrary to many here i knew this is how the match is going to turn in the first fifteen minutes when I said to my friend this match has a draw written all over it.

And by the way was lucas injured or something?

No.

nicky47

Established Member
@nick gould Indeed, we really could've used a different option upfront yesterday. As we couldn't get in behind Burnley at all really, this game I think would've suited Giroud a lot. Such a shame him and Lucas have picked up some niggles.

But thankfully we scrapped through it. Just! I really am gutted about Lucas though, I was hoping to see more of him by now. I still believe we could have a very good player in him, but only time will tell. Hopefully he'll be back after the international break.

Reverse Flash

Both Giroud and Lucas were out injured but where was Chuba Akpon, or Yaya for that matter. The game was crying out for a target of some sort in the box. What was the point of having defenders on the bench and only one attacking player ( I say that with loosely). We very nearly dropped 2 points there because of lack of plan B.
Out with a long term injury, I am serious.

Yeah, if I follow you, its a perfect decision. It really was an unfair decision so FA should change the rules like knvb did. Still happy though!

The rules are perfect and the ref was spot on with them yesterday.

How is it fair to Koscielny and Arsenal that we outplayed them on set-piece, got an amazing goal opportunity where he hit the ball and it is going into the net and goes into his hand unwillingly?

Burnley has only them self to blame. Got beaten by Theo Walcott for the header assists, and after all night they let no one run behind they let a defender and Oxlade Chamberlain run behind them. Talk about getting skinned. They deserved nothing from this game.

Fail to see why people would think Liverpool are contenders but not us. Klopp is playing like there is a winter break. And like last x-mas he will start losing players to injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom