• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

We were beaten by the best side in Europe at full strength. We had our first choice RB, LB and probably CB out too. Started with 3 players 21 and under as well. Plus we gave a full debut to a new player. Have some perspective.

Emery had a game plan. Had Aubameyang taken the chance after Adrian's mistake or Pépé finished his one-on-one, it could have been a different game. We conceded a good goal from a set-piece, a penalty after a bit of magic and another after a piece of individual brilliance. Demonstrated strong character to come back into the game to get a consolation goal.

Obviously, I am disappointed that we lost but if we consider this match in a wider context, there were signs to be encouraged by.

Agree with all this, think Lacazette should of started but imo he wasn’t fully fit.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

We’ve got City though.

I can see us getting outplayed there too if we’re not set up correctly.
BNJR.gif

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Spot on.

Emery’s game plan could easily have come off if Auba and Pepe had taken their chances and Luiz hadn’t so blantantly tugged a shirt.

A manager lives by fine margins. Blaming Emery is just frustration.
But if a manager's gameplan is at cross purposes with logic then he makes the margins smaller for himself. That Auba and Pepe could have scored is irrelevant. The way Emery set up did absolutely nothing but neutralize our own attacking threat and play right into what Liverpool does so well. That individual moments of brilliance from Pepe and unforced errors from Liverpool almost came off for us has nothing to do with Emery and everything to do with luck.

MLK79

Elite Drama Queen
I'm one of Emerys critics but I really don't think he was that bad today from a tactical standpoint. Had he tried to go toe to toe, we would have got pipe even harder.
I disagree with you. As a manager you should know the strengths and weaknesses of your team. Sitting back is nowhere near our strength. Even if we had gone toe to toe and lost at least we would've given ourselves a chance. Sitting back trying to defend when we've got so many players prone to the odd error is not the way to go. The scoreline might look somewhat respectable but this has been the least clinical Liverpool has been against us in a while. They had so much time on the ball that before their first goal they had 13 shots, 2 on target and 8 of them blocked. That's not some tactical masterclass. That's just getting lucky that your players got in some blocks and some generally poor finishing.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just realised that Tierney would have definitely caught Salah after he turned Luiz.

Hate injuries.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
If Xhaka starts in the derby as well...Thought we were seeing a more ruthless Emery with the way he shunned Mustafa but hope he's not mollycoddling a plodder because of his supposed "leadership skills"

JoaoFelix

He tried to counter attack them by ceding the wings and playing long balls into the channel. Percentage football. Wasmt pretty but we created chances in that first half. Now, I would have done things slightly differently but the gameplan was working OK until Matips header. They had no real clear cut chances whereas we had a couple very good ones we did not take. Had we taken them, narrative would be very different.

Listen, I'm not enamored by Emerys conservatism most times but I don't blame him for setting us up the way he did today against Liverpool. If we set up like this against a team like Villa or Bournemouth, then I'll be right here with you agreeing.

They had no chances but they were dominating the game as hell. You can't except it to defend like this throught the whole game. Except that Pepe miss we weren't dangerous at all. We weren't dangerous and VAN Djik and Matip handled the counter attack very well. He got his tactic wrong. Cause at the end of the day we lost just like everyone. We got punished by football. When you try to defend during the whole. You get punished, that's what happened. They forced the goal with that corner. We didn't give them that corner nah they forced it, they were literally miles away from us.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Last year we did and scored one goal but still got trashed. So for you we played well? Matip and Van Djik handle the game very well. We did nothing. Norwich played way better than us. We went to anfield to defend.

No, ultimately we looked shaky at the back and allowed too many unchallenged crosses into our box from the beginning. Id say we looked OK, but not in control for the first 40 and **** from there until the 82nd. Creating chances was always going to be difficult, but we created 3 good chances before the first goal. Overall, we obviously did not play well enough to beat the European champions.

Finesse

Even Bellerin. and Kieran will not save this team with Emery’s approach. Even Van Dyke and Matip would have made errors with the amount of times we were attacked in the first half. We were pummelled right left and centre. Put any defence under so much pressure and errors will come. That’s what Klopp must have said. Keep playing and you will get an error. It’s only natural. Even Norwich had a go and played their game against Liverpool. So did the Saints.

Emery must stop the tactical game and stop relying on opponents game. Study then but okay to your own strengths.

No one to hold up play and find Auba and Pepe. They had to rely on long balls down the lines.

Dani was missing. So would Özil if he played. Dani is a top player but was missing. Imagine Dani in that Liverpool midfield ! We were set up to fail.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I would have found a place for Torreira and Laca too. Bit disappointed about those omissions. Disappointed that he keeps finding a spot for Xhaka too, but I feel that will change. We need to find out best 11, but that will take time.
Torreira has played 20 mins before today I believe? Pure match fitness issue imo.

As for Laca, I get it.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Just realised that Tierney would have definitely caught Salah after he turned Luiz.

Hate injuries.

Bellerin would have been a better outlet for Pepe too.

Can’t wait until they’re both back.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It’s their full-backs, they are so vital and also incredible and go up and down all day.

Hope it’s similar with KT and HB.

JoaoFelix

We were beaten by the best side in Europe at full strength. We had our first choice RB, LB and probably CB out too. Started with 3 players 21 and under, plus we gave a full debut to a new player. Have some perspective.

Emery had a game plan. Had Aubameyang taken the chance after Adrian's mistake or Pépé finished his one-on-one, it could have been a different game. We conceded a good goal from a set-piece, a penalty after a bit of magic and another after a piece of individual brilliance from one of the world's best players. We then demonstrated strong character to come back into the game to get a consolation goal.

Obviously, I am disappointed that we lost but if we consider this match in a wider context, there were signs to be encouraged by.

Adrian gave Aubameyang the ball. Apart from that Pepe miss, tell me what we did offensively. We basically played like Stoke. We got punished. Last year we scored one goal too? We still got trashed. We got outclassed from the start.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Has been interesting to read this thread. People losing their sh*t losing to Liverpool away, who are UCL champions, 2nd in EPL with record points. Not nearly all posters though, which is very nice.

Sokratis was at fault for the 1st goal with his shirt pulling that pulled also Guendouzi down, Luiz 2nd. Bad one for Luiz, but he is still a lot better than Mustafi. When Mustafi gets the ball to feet, cold sweat comes pouring down the back for any sane person.

People of course getting their agendas in limelight here, blaming Emery for tactics. We have many players adjusting to new team, also youngsters. Not Bellerin, Tierney, Holding like some others have said. Bingobob very on point that we will continue to improve. I like a lot what I saw from Pepe, but he is still nervy in EPL. Also two 20-year old midfielder at Anfield playing well, good to see.

People are blaming Emery for not putting long balls to Auba. :D He cannot get even 1/10 of those to own teammates even when he is so tall and good at jumping (I am a fan of him of course still).

And people wanting us to lineup head to head attacking against Liverpool away, hahahah. That has been a disaster in recent years. They will get the break against us, and our slow midfield cannot cover the space. It just doesn't work. It's a ****.

Also I think Torreira is not yet match fit, and that was a reason for him to be on the bench. People seem to be some crystal ball seers knowing what is going on in the team. "Why didn't Emery do this obvious thing, he is so stupid" etc...

I'm certainly not against constructive criticism against Emery, but like others have said it was individual mistakes that cost us. Was better than last year and we will keep improving and getting important players match fit. Funny to see how people come out with their agendas after a game we knew we will lose.

Let's smash Tottenham next week.

JoaoFelix

I disagree with you. As a manager you should know the strengths and weaknesses of your team. Sitting back is nowhere near our strength. Even if we had gone toe to toe and lost at least we would've given ourselves a chance. Sitting back trying to defend when we've got so many players prone to the odd error is not the way to go. The scoreline might look somewhat respectable but this has been the least clinical Liverpool has been against us in a while. They had so much time on the ball that before their first goal they had 13 shots, 2 on target and 8 of them blocked. That's not some tactical masterclass. That's just getting lucky that your players got in some blocks and some generally poor finishing.
You said it all. Merci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom