• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I don't see why a player who is delivering needs to be used to bash others but neither should we be all PC and not give credit where credit is due.

No other young Arsenal player in the current squad has taken his chances the way Martinelli has. Therefore Martinelli is ahead of them in the pecking order because the pecking order should be determined by performances and not reputations or preferences.

In fact only Auba can be considered to have performed as well or better than him so the idea of playing him more, without giving him two 90 minute outings a week, is just plain common sense. Also, let's not cotton-wrap a player who is 18 so that he'll be great at 30 because he ain't gonna be here at 30. Whilst he's here we use him and enjoy the benefit.

I'd be perfectly happy if we found another player like him to cash in on both Laca and Auba - doesn't look like either of them are minded to stay anyway - and build a strike partnership which could last for 5/7 years.

Kav

Established Member
Oh give over, bro. it was just a bit of light hearted banter. I don't want a **** measuring contest (although I'd win, obviously).
its fine Mark, i will take your word for it. I try my best not to see other people's dicks.

Last edited:

Symbia

Dicks, dicks, dicks.
Seriously, guys?
Sounds outrightly disgusting in an open sports message board.

Last edited:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
The faux outrage is cringey tbh. I think most people knew what I meant, there was nothing literal about the post.

Anyway, moving on...

Hopefully Martinelli can keep this form up because he's going to be a real asset to the team, won't be long before the likes of madrid and barca come sniffing.

ksarp

I think this is the main thing and people are slyly ****ting on Saka and Nelson's mentality. The latter two have shown nothing that calls their mentality into question.

Let me break it down for you....Nelly and Saka have no concept of defense. Gabriel plays on "both" sides of the ball. Those two entitled pricks will get dispossessed and shrug or moan for a foul like they're Michael Jordan or something. Gabs just says "hell no"!
You get it now?

Plenty of instances on tape where those two have fallen asleep defensively. Then there is the workrate. They'll both end up in other leagues if they don't turn it up in games.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The faux outrage is cringey tbh. I think most people knew what I meant, there was nothing literal about the post.

Anyway, moving on...

Hopefully Martinelli can keep this form up because he's going to be a real asset to the team, won't be long before the likes of madrid and barca come sniffing.

Tbf you did say you didn’t want a **** measuring contest, you were tryna avoid one.

Make

Player:Ødegaard
I love his passion, it's a very good player. In all of the games that Martinelli played, he did very well, running for all the balls and fighting until the end.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Martinelli is just a better player and a part of that is probably due to his experience playing with grown men for a longer time.

Don't know anything about his playing career in Brazil but from a few articles I read when he was about to sign for us it was mentioned he was fully promoted to Ituano's first team only in 2019. If that is true he can't have played many games against fully grown men. At least not enough to build a solid foundation on it.

But even if he did. That would further highlight his enormous potential. He would have been 16 and 17 years old at that time. If you put most kids that age against grown men they will drown. Only exceptional talents will swim.

ksarp

he did very well, running for all the balls and fighting until the end.

The average British based Arsenal academy player getting into the first team is really entitled, the prospect of high work rate and fighting for the ball doesn't come natural.

Kav

Established Member
Let me break it down for you....Nelly and Saka have no concept of defense. Gabriel plays on "both" sides of the ball. Those two entitled pricks will get dispossessed and shrug or moan for a foul like they're Michael Jordan or something. Gabs just says "hell no"!
You get it now?

Plenty of instances on tape where those two have fallen asleep defensively. Then there is the workrate. They'll both end up in other leagues if they don't turn it up in games.
Thats a bit harsh, in particular to Saka. Many instances he's tracked back and pressed consistently. He's lost the ball and ran back. Nelson....well i can't say much. However Willock does the same and he doesn't get shafted so i'm not sure where the bias comes from.

We all agree that Martinelli is a excellent talent. Our other youngsters are also good, they each will develop at different paces and in different ways. Watching them grow will be fun.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Don't know anything about his playing career in Brazil but from a few articles I read when he was about to sign for us it was mentioned he was fully promoted to Ituano's first team only in 2019. If that is true he can't have played many games against fully grown men. At least not enough to build a solid foundation on it.

But even if he did. That would further highlight his enormous potential. He would have been 16 and 17 years old at that time. If you put most kids that age against grown men they will drown. Only exceptional talents will swim.
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand, he's played more regularly than Saka and Nelson. You could make a case that Nelson doesn't count but we've all witnessed Saka break through this season so why are we trying to pretend that Martinelli is less experienced than him?

Wenger also mentioned that South American players have that hunger that just can't be cultivated in a European environment. Saka and Nelson are extremely coddled footballers who have been at an elite club most of their lives. Just because Saka and Nelson don't display that hunger doesn't mean their mentality is lacking.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand, he's played more regularly than Saka and Nelson. You could make a case that Nelson doesn't count but we've all witnessed Saka break through this season so why are we trying to pretend that Martinelli is less experienced than him?

Wenger also mentioned that South American players have that hunger that just can't be cultivated in a European environment. Saka and Nelson are extremely coddled footballers who have been at an elite club most of their lives. Just because Saka and Nelson don't display that hunger doesn't mean their mentality is lacking.
So you exclusively mean Saka? Coz Nelson has pretty much played just as much as Martinelli. i think your point is rubbish tbh. Hunger to succeed comes from mentality so....
All this coz you said people were having “snide” digs at Saka and Nelson yet the only snide comment i see are yours.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

Who said Martinelli is less experienced than Saka? All I pointed out was this vast experience Martinelli gained playing against fully grown men could be as little as 18-24 games.

Just because Saka and Nelson don't display that hunger doesn't mean their mentality is lacking.

I never questioned Saka or Nelson's mentality. I think they are developing just fine. Breaking into the starting 11 in a top 6 team is extremely hard for any youngster. They will need more time. I can still praise Martinelli without people thinking I'm ****ting on our academy players. Martinelli is an exceptional talent, there is no shame on Saka or Nelson if they haven't reached his level yet. They will still get valuable minutes this season to further develop.

boyinneedofhumor

...I held back from replying "I'm going bananas..." yesterday
... and opted for submarine mode instead...

It was too risky at that moment... :lol: sorry mate...

http://idioms.languagesystems.edu/2016/01/to-go-bananas-idiom-go-bananas-meaning.html?m=1

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bananas

https://grammarist.com/idiom/going-bananas/

Yup... let's move on...

boyinneedofhumor

I actually think there's some difference and expectations need to be adjusted for each player.

Example,
if its Nelson or Saka, for me scoring is secondary if either came on. I would look at whether he's stretching the opponents and opening the gaps by staying wide. Assuming that's the instruction given...
Whereas with Martinelli I may envisage him interchanging with Auba or Pepe.

Imagine if Saka or Nelson played similarly like Martinelli and went back to the dressing room, only to be told off "what did you do out there? You weren't following the game plan and left your position..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom