• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Having Giroud and Sanogo as our CF option in 2013/2014 title challenge was enough drive a fan crazy FFS

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Selling their best player worked for Liverpool. Coutinho's cash was reinvested and the team is now top of Europe.

Auba is a difficult one because on one hand he is our best player. On the other hand he is 30 yrs old, and probably has 3 good seasons left in him.

Is our squad good enough to compete with what we have in the next couple yrs?

If we are willing to invest as well as re sign him that would be great. I just think though it could be a difficult decision selling might be the best decision for the club in the long term.

It's true with Coutinho. Liverpool are an exception rather than a rule. Just look at Madrid since C. Ron left.

Our squad is 5 top players away from completing. We can't afford to buy these 5 players, so Arteta is going to have to develop the likes of Pepe, Salibah, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Guendouzi and Bellerin to that status.

Burt Gold

It's true with Coutinho. Liverpool are an exception rather than a rule. Just look at Madrid since C. Ron left.

Our squad is 5 top players away from completing. We can't afford to buy these 5 players, so Arteta is going to have to develop the likes of Pepe, Salibah, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Guendouzi and Bellerin to that status.
I think if you want to make that analogy you have to look really closely at it.

Madrid (who can buy whoever they want generally) selling one of the two best players of all time is not a good comparison to what Arsenal are doing.

To me it comes down to how competitive you think Arsenal will be in the next couple of season. How much is the club willing to invest in player recruitment. To me there is a scenario to keep him which involves big recruitment as well as signing him.

But then also just look how many 33+ yr old strikers are still at the top. They usually start to fall off.

In a perfect world I would certainly want to keep him.

Mraven

I’m ready to see Auba leave i the summer if we can find a replacement. For all the money we spent on him and Laca, they have not taken us up a level. I want a technical striker. Someone who contributes to Artetaball and replaces some of Aubas goal.

truth_hurts

I think if you want to make that analogy you have to look really closely at it.

Madrid (who can buy whoever they want generally) selling one of the two best players of all time is not a good comparison to what Arsenal are doing.

To me it comes down to how competitive you think Arsenal will be in the next couple of season. How much is the club willing to invest in player recruitment. To me there is a scenario to keep him which involves big recruitment as well as signing him.

But then also just look how many 33+ yr old strikers are still at the top. They usually start to fall off.

In a perfect world I would certainly want to keep him.

Agreed. A generational talent leaving Madrid is very different to Auba leaving Arsenal, but the point remains that Madrid went backwards after selling their star despite huge spending power. I'm struggling to think of any recent examples (bar Liverpool) of where a team became more successful after selling their star.

Furthermore to that, we are reliant on Aubameyang's goals. Liverpool are perhaps less creative without Coutinho, but their goal supply hasn't dried and they invested 150m on their defence.

The 40m (at best) that we would get for Aubameyang isn't going help us much, I'd rather lose him for free if he doesn't sign a new contract.

A list of the top 10 strikers in football contains a lot of 30 plus players in my opinion. The best two players in the world are older than Aubameyang. I don't see Auba declining in the next couple of years.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I’m ready to see Auba leave i the summer if we can find a replacement. For all the money we spent on him and Laca, they have not taken us up a level. I want a technical striker. Someone who contributes to Artetaball and replaces some of Aubas goal.

If we were solid in defence & midfield, a player like Auba would have won us trophies. That's our problem, having a great striker doesn't make up for the sh1t show elsewhere. We lost our spine years ago and its never been replaced!

A replacement doesn't have to be a striker, if we got Partey and used Martinelli & Nketiah as strikers we would be a stronger team. Sell Laca and improve elsewhere

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If we were solid in defence & midfield, a player like Auba would have won us trophies. That's our problem, having a great striker doesn't make up for the sh1t show elsewhere. We lost our spine years ago and its never been replaced!

A replacement doesn't have to be a striker, if we got Partey and used Martinelli & Nketiah as strikers we would be a stronger team. Sell Laca and improve elsewhere

But you're not a stronger team if you don't have a regular goalscorer.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

AM: Gazidis is terrible, he let our top players leave for free.
Also AM: Let's keep Auba for one year instead of selling him for 50m

Fell the main problem with Gazidis was instead of letting Özil and Alexis walk on frees he f*cked our wage structure and gave Özil and Mkhitaryan massive pay days?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yeah Auba has literally carried us in an attacking sense, especially this season when our attack has been non-existent particularly when Emery was here and he decided that you couldn't play more than 2 of our attacking players at any one time. Then factor in our poor defence, midfield and the like and to then go "Auba hasn't taken us up a level". I mean we've had three managers since he's arrived, four if you include Ljungberg. He's joined Arsenal at the worst possible time if you're wanting him to make an impact to an extent that he turns us into top 6 to top 4 or whatever.

He won the golden boot last season let's no forget, if you assign jobs to each area of the pitch, as a striker he did his job. He also helped fire us to the EL final with his display in Valencia. Not his fault we were so appalling vs Chelsea and our only form of attack was for Xhaka to spray it wide to Kolasinac and then hope.

Yeah Auba has literally carried us in an attacking sense, especially this season when our attack has been non-existent particularly when Emery was here and he decided that you couldn't play more than 2 of our attacking players at any one time. Then factor in our poor defence, midfield and the like and to then go "Auba hasn't taken us up a level". I mean we've had three managers since he's arrived, four if you include Ljungberg. He's joined Arsenal at the worst possible time if you're wanting him to make an impact to an extent that he turns us into top 6 to top 4 or whatever.

He won the golden boot last season let's no forget, if you assign jobs to each area of the pitch, as a striker he did his job. He also helped fire us to the EL final with his display in Valencia. Not his fault we were so appalling vs Chelsea and our only form of attack was for Xhaka to spray it wide to Kolasinac and then hope.

Yeah Auba was carrying Emery at one stage even if people cyber abused and sent me death threats in PM because I pointed it out.

But I will gladly throw a party and give up on my soberness since 4th August when we manage to get rid of Auba and Laca. They are image of one of the worst and most boring Arsenal attacks in history!

Burt Gold

Agreed. A generational talent leaving Madrid is very different to Auba leaving Arsenal, but the point remains that Madrid went backwards after selling their star despite huge spending power. I'm struggling to think of any recent examples (bar Liverpool) of where a team became more successful after selling their star.

Furthermore to that, we are reliant on Aubameyang's goals. Liverpool are perhaps less creative without Coutinho, but their goal supply hasn't dried and they invested 150m on their defence.

The 40m (at best) that we would get for Aubameyang isn't going help us much, I'd rather lose him for free if he doesn't sign a new contract.

A list of the top 10 strikers in football contains a lot of 30 plus players in my opinion. The best two players in the world are older than Aubameyang. I don't see Auba declining in the next couple of years.
I look at Dortmund. They go from strength to strength. Selling players and buying elite young talent. I don't love the model in terms of always selling but if Arsenal developed more talent like Dortmund we'd have more money to spend when we need it.

Tottenham have had better results since selling Bale. Atletico have often sold their best players and reinvested successfully. The teams that don't sell their ageing stars are usually the teams that have the most money where it isn't as important. City, United, Barca, Madrid, Juve.

I think 40 mil would be slightly low but even still. That buys you Tierney and Martinelli. Give those two a couple years and you may well be quite happy to have made that trade off.

There is a glut of older strikers
Suarez 33
Cavani 33
Benzema 32
Aguero 31
Lewandowski 31

Many of which are doing well but their teams are certainly looking to the future.

Names I could come up with
D. Villa, F. Torres, Higuain, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy were all done at big clubs around the age 31-33.

Wayne Rooney is 34 yrs old! He hasn't been a top player for 4-5 yrs.

I'd give Auba 2 maybe 3 more top yrs but after that you don't have a sellable asset. So you have to ask how competitive is our squad likely to be in the next 2 yrs? We could reinvest and develop a striker that is the age of our developing core.

It's a tough one for sure. Pros and cons to each. I just would hate to see Auba become and Özil style anchor contract we can't move let alone sell for money.

truth_hurts

I look at Dortmund. They go from strength to strength. Selling players and buying elite young talent. I don't love the model in terms of always selling but if Arsenal developed more talent like Dortmund we'd have more money to spend when we need it.

Tottenham have had better results since selling Bale. Atletico have often sold their best players and reinvested successfully. The teams that don't sell their ageing stars are usually the teams that have the most money where it isn't as important. City, United, Barca, Madrid, Juve.

I think 40 mil would be slightly low but even still. That buys you Tierney and Martinelli. Give those two a couple years and you may well be quite happy to have made that trade off.

There is a glut of older strikers
Suarez 33
Cavani 33
Benzema 32
Aguero 31
Lewandowski 31

Many of which are doing well but their teams are certainly looking to the future.

Names I could come up with
D. Villa, F. Torres, Higuain, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy were all done at big clubs around the age 31-33.

Wayne Rooney is 34 yrs old! He hasn't been a top player for 4-5 yrs.

I'd give Auba 2 maybe 3 more top yrs but after that you don't have a sellable asset. So you have to ask how competitive is our squad likely to be in the next 2 yrs? We could reinvest and develop a striker that is the age of our developing core.

It's a tough one for sure. Pros and cons to each. I just would hate to see Auba become and Özil style anchor contract we can't move let alone sell for money.

All true, but we can't really afford to be selling 25 league goals for such a low price. We have Martinelli already, so you could argue developing him under Auba saves us time and money in the future.

We 100% need Auba next year, if that means losing him for nothing or giving him a bumper new deal - I feel both are wins for the club.

Burt Gold

All true, but we can't really afford to be selling 25 league goals for such a low price. We have Martinelli already, so you could argue developing him under Auba saves us time and money in the future.

We 100% need Auba next year, if that means losing him for nothing or giving him a bumper new deal - I feel both are wins for the club.
The other option is sell him for 40-60 whatever the market is. And reinvest that money in a midfielder and an attacker. Laca can be the mentor for Martinelli. And I think Laca is def a capable player and younger.

I think Laca as a striker to argue another angle is more of a provider. I bet with Laca at CF rather than Auba, while you'd likely see less goals from the CF position, you may see the likes of martinelli and Pepe score more from out wide. Firmino effect.

Mraven

Auba has done his job without doubt, but he is also very limited. With his lack of build up play he is a part of the reason why we were only consistently creating from the wings.

We were a top 6 club before Aubas goals and we are still a top 6 club. Let’s cash in now that his stock is high and buy a better footballer

DasBootist

Auba has done his job without doubt, but he is also very limited. With his lack of build up play he is a part of the reason why we were only consistently creating from the wings.

We were a top 6 club before Aubas goals and we are still a top 6 club. Let’s cash in now that his stock is high and buy a better footballer
Aubameyang is one of the most effective footballers in the world. Look at his goalscoring record for the past 5+ seasons and argue that point.

It's extremely difficult to view his departure as anything other than a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom