• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cedric Soares: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
The circumstances of the loan are largely irrelevant, he was injured and there isn't anything anyone could have done about it. Clubs buy players who have never played a game for them all the time; that's in fact how pretty much all signings work lol
But he was signed as a loan deal, that's the point. If the club were so convinced of his absolute quality in January then why not sign him on a permanent deal back then?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Dodgy as f*ck signing if you ask me. Speechless.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

But he was signed as a loan deal, that's the point. If the club were so convinced of his absolute quality in January then why not sign him on a permanent deal back then?

Money.

Nvm he's free, f*ck dis club.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Two reasons:

1) Just like last January, we seemed to be short on money and a loan deal with the potential to buy in the summer was likely more financially feasible for us than buying outright. And we wanted him then instead of getting him free in the summer because we were very short at RB.

2) Even if we felt he might be a good fit, getting a trial period of sorts never hurts. It's a shame we didn't get that but based on what we knew of him before and how he has looked in training, we might feel good about signing him on anyway. Iirc, most seemed fine with this arrangement at the time, it made logical sense.

roz

Fake News Merchant
The main issue for me is the degree of strength of each position. I'm not expecting us to have 2 world class players in each position, however there has to be a measure of progression that we can see. I don't see much progression in a duo of a potentially waning Bellerin and a guy like Cedric who doesn't really push the needle. Smacks of more mediocrity and I think we could have been more creative.

That said, we at least have bodies in those positions as opposed to before, now we just need Cedric to be fit so we can actually see what he's about. I just wish we had a younger RB to challenge both of them. Swanson is there but I doubt they'll use him and Oyegoke is too young. Osei-Tutu is playing as a winger so we'll probably sell him. Jayden Bogle was the obvious signing for me - he's basically as good as Aarons IMO without the huge price tag.
Osei Tutu did pretty well during his Bochum loan no? plus he’s played fullback a fair few times I think?
Be nice to see him get a chance pre season at the very least before selling.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Two reasons:

1) Just like last January, we seemed to be short on money and a loan deal with the potential to buy in the summer was likely more financially feasible for us than buying outright. And we wanted him then instead of getting him free in the summer because we were very short at RB.

2) Even if we felt he might be a good fit, getting a trial period of sorts never hurts. It's a shame we didn't get him but based on what we knew of him before and how he has looked in training, we might feel good about signing him on anyway. Iirc, most seemed fine with this arrangement at the time, it made logical sense.

But we paid Southampton a "loan fee" in January, and with all things considered that would have more than likely have ended up as the same "transfer fee" had we negotiated for a permanent deal.

If we wanted to give him a "trial period" to make sure then why are we completely forging that and instead handing him a 4 year contract?

It's fine if you disagree but I think people are fully within their rights to be baffled at the fact the club has gone from being unsure about him so getting him on loan to check him out to then offering him a 4 year deal without having him play a single minute.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Osei Tutu did pretty well during his Bochum loan no? plus he’s played fullback a fair few times I think?
Be nice to see him get a chance pre season at the very least before selling.
His most impressive performances have come as a winger, he played RB for them and was subsequently benched. His form has definitely improved after being played further forward.

I'd like to see him given a chance aswell as I think having an offensive full-back could prove to be very fruitful, but given his defensive frailties so far at first team level it seems a bit difficult for him. A good compromise would be a loan to a top flight league.

Aevi

Hale End FC
But we paid Southampton a "loan fee" in January, and with all things considered that would have more than likely have ended up as the same "transfer fee" had we negotiated for a permanent deal.

If we wanted to give him a "trial period" to make sure then why are we completely forging that and instead handing him a 4 year contract?

It's fine if you disagree but I think people are fully within their rights to be baffled at the fact the club has gone from being unsure about him so getting him on loan to check him out to then offering him a 4 year deal without having him play a single minute.
True, I'm assuming going into negotiations looking for a small loan instead of buying put us in a better bargaining position but the difference is probably pretty negligible if there is one at all.

However, this doesn't detract from my point. I think the mentality of this signing was probably more along the lines of "We like the player but we have an opportunity to give him a test run before committing to a contract. Let's take it in case he unexpectedly, wildly flops so we have the chance to pull out, it wouldn't hurt." Unfortunately, we didn't get to see much of him for reasons beyond our control but we liked him before so we're happy to take him anyway. Especially given financial constraints, it's a better deal than anything else we could get. We don't have to go off of a trial period that didn't pan out, we can go off of his solid tenure at Southampton. Just as clubs often go off of a player's performances at other clubs, as they never really get an opportunity to trial them (which again we did get but were unable to capitalize on).

To try an shorten my response as a tldr, thinking that we wanted to base the entire decision of signing Cedric on the loan is an assumption I don't agree with. I believe it was more like free insurance in case we spotted something that would put us off signing him.

His most impressive performances have come as a winger, he played RB for them and was subsequently benched. His form has definitely improved after being played further forward.

I'd like to see him given a chance aswell as I think having an offensive full-back could prove to be very fruitful, but given his defensive frailties so far at first team level it seems a bit difficult for him. A good compromise would be a loan to a top flight league.

I wonder how he would do now at RB that he has built up a lot of confidence on the field.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

"I'm delighted to announce that I have signed a long term deal to stay at Arsenal"

:drool:

How can you not love a face like that!

Last edited:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
According to David Ornstein of The Athletic, Southampton expected that Cedric Soares would leave the club in the summer as his contract was close to expiry. The Saints thought he would move abroad or to a lower league. However, all of a sudden Arsenal approached them over the availability of the defender.

The right-back picked a knee injury on January 21 against Crystal Palace. Thus, Southampton assumed that leaving for free would be the most likely scenario.

"As deadline week drew closer, news of Arsenal’s interest surfaced and Southampton could hardly believe it was true," the journalist writes in his report.

But the Gunners on their part, believe they got just what they were looking for. The north Londoners consider Soares as a very good addition and expect him to recover soon.

The 28-year-old was brought in as a defensive cover but he could play an important role in the next few months, concludes Ornstein.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Credit to Kia, getting his boys the big deals, imagine getting 4 years at Arsenal at 29 for someone like Cedric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom