• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Agree with this 100% mate. I think 90% of our foreign players don't understand what it means to play for a club like Arsenal. They have no attachment to us and in my opinion they have shown that they are playing for themselves first and foremost and not the club.

People on here seem to have problem with "overrated British players".

I've noticed how most British players are automatically despised on here, except those we've promoted from the academy

any British player brought in from another British team seems to be universally looked down on in favour of foreign players no one has heard of

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
There is no ideal formation in modern tactics. It’s more about field occupation. Players are not static on the pitch, they are fluid and be in different position at different time.

Tactics are all about creating numerical advantage in certain area of the pitch temporarily.

Your defensive formation would be determined by how you want to press, and determined by your opponent formation in their building up phase. For example, if your opponent is playing a very attacking 2000s brazilian 3-5-2. You may want to press their back line aggressively with 3 players up front. So your defensive formation would have 3 strikers. And this is based on how many players you would like to commit to the press, and how your opponent set up.

And in attacking, formation isn’t that important anymore. Because what in your mind should be field occupation and players movement.
For example, most team would arrived to the below field occupation in their final phase of attacking.

You can achieve the same field occupation using the same or different “starting formation” from different players movements.

That 4-4-2 with Martinelli and Pepe as strikers is quite interesting actually. Although you'd need a much better right-hand side.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

There is no ideal formation in modern tactics. It’s more about field occupation. Players are not static on the pitch, they are fluid and be in different position at different time.

Tactics are all about creating numerical advantage in certain area of the pitch temporarily.

Your defensive formation would be determined by how you want to press, and determined by your opponent formation in their building up phase. For example, if your opponent is playing a very attacking 2000s brazilian 3-5-2. You may want to press their back line aggressively with 3 players up front. So your defensive formation would have 3 strikers. And this is based on how many players you would like to commit to the press, and how your opponent set up.

And in attacking, formation isn’t that important anymore. Because what in your mind should be field occupation and players movement.
For example, most team would arrived to the below field occupation in their final phase of attacking.

You can achieve the same field occupation using the same or different “starting formation” from different players movements.

To conclude. In defending, formation is more determined by your opponent. More and more modern managers would change formation or players position constantly during a game, as a reaction to the opponent changes (which is a reaction to your formation changes). In attacking, field occupation can be achieved by different starting formation anyway. As a result, an ideal starting formation is not that of an important aspect in modern football.
1c5.gif

GoonerJay24

20 years ago we were one of the best teams to ever play in the premier league with some of the best players. But as soon as the money men came we couldnt compete. And we didn't even try.

Liverpool fans cried for 30 years. United fans cry not expecting to be challenging. Every fan wants their side to win. And when it sees those around it winning it's frustrating.

United dominated Pl football for 20 years and won 2 CL in that time.

Chelsea have won more in 10 years as we won in 25 or so. They also have a EL and CL trophy.

We just want success and each year we get further away from it. Why should we accept that while paying more than every other club in the PL. If you hire a **** plumber he normally doesnt cost more than the best one. So why do Arsenal expect fans to pay top whack to watch crap?

That's another reason fans are fed up and disconnected.

It's football no team is entitled to success and usually the club's with more spending power achieve most.

You haven't read or understood my previous quote fully, their is a different tone towards Arsenal when they are in a bad spell compared to our rivals.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It's football no team is entitled to success and usually the club's with more spending power achieve most.

You haven't read or understood my previous quote fully, their is a different tone towards Arsenal when they are in a bad spell compared to our rivals.

Why do you think that is? Just coincidence or the fact that Chelsea/United/City/Liverpool (our rivals) have all won significant trophies in the last 10 years. They have also seen their clubs fall away abit but rise again.

Those clubs do not charge the highest ticket prices in England either. So no I havent misunderstood anything.

It's as simple as it is. We dont have the credit in the bank the other teams have and we continue to do worse every season without abit of a lift.

Chelsea were ****e. They won the league the next year. United were crap and out of CL. They won the Europa cup. Liverpool were crap they won the CL in 2005. They had hard times after but like us a few FA Cups and now they are winning CL again and Leagues. In 15 years were our lift. S ****ing FA cup.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Why do you think that is? Just coincidence or the fact that Chelsea/United/City/Liverpool (our rivals) have all won significant trophies in the last 10 years. They have also seen their clubs fall away abit but rise again.

Those clubs do not charge the highest ticket prices in England either. So no I havent misunderstood anything.

It's as simple as it is. We dont have the credit in the bank the other teams have and we continue to do worse every season without abit of a lift.

Chelsea were ****e. They won the league the next year. United were crap and out of CL. They won the Europa cup. Liverpool were crap they won the CL in 2005. They had hard times after but like us a few FA Cups and now they are winning CL again and Leagues. In 15 years were our lift. S ****ing FA cup.

The season tickets are a disgrace really, considering were we are in the league...but bar that, that just the way it is...we aren't a team that challenges really anymore, since the stadium move our priority has mainly been Champions League football...unfortunately that's the way it is, and there isn't much any of us can do about it.

Just by your age I am assuming you watched our 1996-2006 period or around that time, just be grateful really that you saw a golden period for the club...imagine if your became a fan from summer 2006 on, on even worse after Arsène left...you would be SO annoyed :lol:

Anyone who became a fan between 1996-2006, should considering themselves very lucky, you say Arsenal's best...even fans before that witnessed some amazing days, 1989 is the best night in our history really!

It's sad where we are, but all our decisions have pretty much gone against us as a club since we lost Highbury really, sad but what can you do...just try to find something to enjoy if you can, good crop of young players coming through at least.

Finally, don't dismiss the FA Cups wins so easily...might not be the biggest trophies, but still all great days for the club.

Jae

I've noticed how most British players are automatically despised on here, except those we've promoted from the academy

any British player brought in from another British team seems to be universally looked down on in favour of foreign players no one has heard of

I've never understood it mate to be honest. There are a lot of quality British players in this league. I think price plays a big part in it because there is definitely a "British Premium" for some players. I personally would like to see more in our team (academy graduates or otherwise).

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The season tickets are a disgrace really, considering were we are in the league...but bar that, that just the way it is...we aren't a team that challenges really anymore, since the stadium move or priority has mainly been Champions League football...unfortunately it's the way it is, and there isn't much any of us can do about it.

Just by your age I am assuming you watched our 1996-2006 period or around that, just be grateful really that you saw a golden period for the club...imagine if your became a fan from summer 2006 on, on even worse after Arsène left...you would be furious :lol:

Anyone who became a fan between 1996-2006, should considering themselves very lucky, you say Arsenal's best...even fans before that witness some amazing days, 1989 is the best night in our history really!

It's sad where we are, but all our decisions have pretty much gone against us as a club since we lost Highbury really, sad but what can you do.

Just try to find something to enjoy if you can, good crop of young players coming through at least.

Finally, don't dismiss the FA Cups wins so quickly...might not be the biggest trophies, but still all great days for the club.

Yeah I was born in 88 so I really started to understand football around 96.

I have seen doubles and invincible seasons. However I have seen more mediocrity than success. I have seen Chelsea, United x2, Liverpool x 2 win champions leagues. I have seen United and Chelsea win Europa leagues. I have seen very little from Arsenal in 15 years. I was a child when I saw Arsenal actually win things.

I paid 95 quid for a ticket against city. ( I dont have a season ticket because I dont live in London so I have to buy when I'm there).

You say I'm lucky to have seen the best Arsenal. That's debatable. We were good. Did we dominate. No. Did we win in Europe? No. So we did well and I have some great memories. But in the last 15 years I have had nothing. Nothing exciting. Nothing to cheer about.

I said before I would rather Arsenal win a league and for the next 5-6 finish 10th or so.

I had 3 years to cheer about and 20 or more disappointing. I'm not entitled. I just want something to celebrate and an FA cup isnt enough. It doesnt help us move to the next level. It actually holds us back as proven in the past.

Riou

Yeah I was born in 88 so I really started to understand football around 96.

I have seen doubles and invincible seasons. However I have seen more mediocrity than success. I have seen Chelsea, United x2, Liverpool x 2 win champions leagues. I have seen United and Chelsea win Europa leagues. I have seen very little from Arsenal in 15 years. I was a child when I saw Arsenal actually win things.

I paid 95 quid for a ticket against city. ( I dont have a season ticket because I dont live in London so I have to buy when I'm there).

You say I'm lucky to have seen the best Arsenal. That's debatable. We were good. Did we dominate. No. Did we win in Europe? No. So we did well and I have some great memories. But in the last 15 years I have had nothing. Nothing exciting. Nothing to cheer about.

I said before I would rather Arsenal win a league and for the next 5-6 finish 10th or so.

But that's football though, just because you have a great team doesn't mean you have the right to win things...look at Newcastle in the mid 90s or Leeds in the early 00s, look at all the Arsenal fans who never got to see us win the league, you have 3...that's something

When we went unbeaten in 2004 that was the happiest summer of my life, I felt like the luckiest person on the planet, I was alive when Thierry Henry was in his prime for the team I loved...when we lost the Champions League in 2006 I was heartbroken, but I wasn't disappointed in my team...they gave it their all, and that's all you can ask for...trophies do matter in football, but they aren't all that matter...you can still feel very connected with your team regardless sometimes.

I had 3 years to cheer about and 20 or more disappointing. I'm not entitled. I just want something to celebrate and an FA cup isnt enough. It doesnt help us move to the next level. It actually holds us back as proven in the past.

Think that's a bit harsh if that's how you feel, you can't just define happiness by winning, especially when we have never really had the money to dominate like a United had.

Surely there has been seasons in our past were you can be proud of the team despite not wininng?

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
But that's football though, just because you have a great team doesn't mean you have the right to win things...look at Newcastle in the mid 90s or Leeds in the early 00s, look at all the Arsenal fans who never got to see us win the league, you have 3...that's something

When we went unbeaten in 2004 that was the happiest summer of my life, I felt like the luckiest person on the planet, I was alive when Thierry Henry was in his prime for the team I loved...when we lost the Champions League in 2006 I was heartbroken, but I wasn't disappointed in my team...they gave it their all, and that's all you can ask for...trophies do matter in football, but they aren't all that matter...you can still feel very connected with your team regardless sometimes.

Think that's a bit harsh if that's how you feel, you can't just define happiness by winning, especially when we have never really had the money to dominate like a United had.

Surely there has been seasons in our past were you can be proud of the team despite not wininng?
United also produced better youth products than us whether we like it or not. Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville who were ever present in their dominant teams, all came up through the ranks

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Theres seasons I have said ok. Wasnt bad. But football is winning. Simple as. And maybe if Wenger the board etc hand that idea we would have done more. I know we cant always win. But 3 league titles in 30 years. Hardly anything to sing and dance about. The minute there was some genuine competitions we buckled.

We won leagues when united were are only rival. The minute more teams starting to get ahead we buckled.

Yes I loved watching Henry. but that is nothing more than any other fan has seen.

Riou

United also produced better youth products than us whether we like it or not. Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville who were ever present in their dominant teams, all came up through the ranks

No title winning team in the Premiership era has had as many youth products as that United team tbf, it was something else.

Adams, Parlour and Cole on our part was pretty good...plus we give spots to plenty of young players in our teams too.

Theres seasons I have said ok. Wasnt bad. But football is winning. Simple as. And maybe if Wenger the board etc hand that idea we would have done more. I know we cant always win. But 3 league titles in 30 years. Hardly anything to sing and dance about. The minute there was some genuine competitions we buckled.

We won leagues when united were are only rival. The minute more teams starting to get ahead we buckled.

Yes I loved watching Henry. but that is nothing more than any other fan has seen.

I would have loved to have won more trophies, we SHOULD have won more trophies between 1996-2006 especially...but at least we did win and I witnessed some of those triumphs...think you are right to be very frustrated from 2006 on, but we have had other moments that you can look back on proudly imo.

GoonerJay24

That's because most British players lack the technique required to play for arsenal

Riou

I think many English players would be good for Arsenal today

We should have had more English players in the early days at The Emirates...summer 2006, we should have gotten Woodgate from Real Madrid instead of Gallas, he would have been perfect for Toure to play with.

GoonerJay24

I personally believe its due to Arsenal being a club with good values traditionally and rival pundits/ ex players are jealous so put the club down.

Even during the years we perennially won and challenged for the league, I noticed a different tone when we are criticised compared to others. I'm not saying we recieve worse criticism necessarily, but as I keep mentioning the tone is different.

You cannot compare us with other clubs because they've mainly had more money throughout the last 10 years due to our stadium debt.

GoonerJay24

That's because most British players lack the technique required to play for arsenal

Only because we're struggling currently, but getting back to the Fabregas, Rosicky and Hleb style of play requires technical foreigners who are properly coached skills rather than just how to run

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom