• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Surely that means Laca is gone. Very good business. Lacazette and Mkhi wage off our wage bill, that's over 350k of wage freed up. Özil's departure could complete the holy Trifecta.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’m optimistic. He’s no slower now than he was at 25. The likes of himself, Lewandowski, Aguero, Cavani and Vardy are still at the top of their games and Auba is the youngest of that bunch.

Even if he loses a yard, his movement and finishing will remain in tact. He could alter his game a bit if need be. I hope the news is true and we get him signed. Getting him and Saka signed up would give the club a HUGE boost.

I dunno man, Father Time is undefeated and he can come calling any time. I didn’t see the Torres or Alexis fall off coming but that happened almost overnight.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be elite for another year or so, after that it’s just guesswork. For me, the club doesn’t have to sell him. If we extend him we won’t be getting a fee for him so I’d just hold him to his current contract and let him go next summer.

My fear is that like Özil an extension would be a symbolic gesture to fire up the fans and after 18 months or so it’d be another case of deadwood.

We’ve got to be paying him 250k a week when he’s 34/35 and outside of Ronaldo and Messi I can’t think of any player who’s still elite at that age.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I dunno man, Father Time is undefeated and he can come calling any time. I didn’t see the Torres or Alexis fall off coming but that happened almost overnight.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be elite for another year or so, after that it’s just guesswork. For me, the club doesn’t have to sell him. If we extend him we won’t be getting a fee for him so I’d just hold him to his current contract and let him go next summer.

My fear is that like Özil an extension would be a symbolic gesture to fire up the fans and after 18 months or so it’d be another case of deadwood.

We’ve got to be paying him 250k a week when he’s 34/35 and outside of Ronaldo and Messi I can’t think of any player who’s still elite at that age.

Hmmm I do agree with you, but come to think of it he'd be 34 when his contract runs out. By the time his has run out we'd of lost Özil who's on considerably more so while he'd be taking up a decent chunk of wage and a bit of deadwood we'd maybe have a much better wage structure for current players.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hmmm I do agree with you, but come to think of it he'd be 34 when his contract runs out. By the time his has run out we'd of lost Özil who's on considerably more so while he'd be taking up a decent chunk of wage and a bit of deadwood we'd maybe have a much better wage structure for current players.

Don’t trust these lot running the club, Cedric and Mari deals are suspicious to me.

Just replacing deadwood with more of it if we’re not careful.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Pay up. At the very least we can let him go the season after the next if we fail to qualify again and it'll probably be for the same price we'd get for him now.

The 250k a week means 40 million over the next 4 years? That's cheaper than signing a replacement.

If somehow we managed to get Mesut off the wage bill along with Laca and Mkhi...

say yes

forum master baiter
Auba has consistently performed throughout his time here which can't be said for Özil. I wouldn't let the Özil contract hold too much weight in this decision, especially if we manage to offload him this summer. Auba has shown no signs of slowing down, I think it's reasonable to assume he'll continue playing as he is.
Yep, and this is also £100k per week less than Özil’s.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If you let him go after one more year and sell Lacazette this summer you should be able to buy a replacement and you’d have Nketiah who’d be 22 going into the 2021/22 season.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

I’m optimistic. He’s no slower now than he was at 25. The likes of himself, Lewandowski, Aguero, Cavani and Vardy are still at the top of their games and Auba is the youngest of that bunch.

Even if he loses a yard, his movement and finishing will remain in tact. He could alter his game a bit if need be. I hope the news is true and we get him signed. Getting him and Saka signed up would give the club a HUGE boost.
I would argue that he has already adapted his game. Most of his goals for us have been more about intelligent movement and brilliant finishes than just being rapid. He looks almost nothing like the guy at Dortmund under Klopp who was more of a pace merchant yet the strike rate is just as good in a tougher league. Auba has done something kind of rare for strikers who start out their career with that sort of pace and adapted really before he needed to. Even Henry's movement wasn't this good before he lost a yard and had to adjust to it. He's still rapid and occasionally you'll see it but he really doesn't need to use his pace to be effective. If he's willing to stay for the figures quoted then the man is a saint and should be signed immediately. Were it I, we'd be starting at Özil's salary and working our way up.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Surely that means Laca is gone. Very good business. Lacazette and Mkhi wage off our wage bill, that's over 350k of wage freed up. Özil's departure could complete the holy Trifecta.
Nowhere for Özil to go. No German or Turkish clubs will pay his wages and his comments about the plight of the Uighur people(which I am not faulting as they were completely justified IMO) have probably ruled the only league that would pay him that amount out.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
There are a few things that go in our favour to sign Auba.

He isn't as dependent on physical attributes as Sanchez and Torres were...a big part of Sanchez game was energy...energy to run with the ball, energy to press...age took a big part of his game away...Torres was a pace merchant imo, after the injuries took his speed he was done...as others have said Auba's movement is his best weapon, that won't go with age....he's a thinker, not just a sprinter.

In the case of our Mes...Özil is completely a team player really...he plays for the team to win, not for individual accolades...that added to him approaching the end of his career on a massive wage, he has nothing to play for really since we are in a rebuilding phase...so his drive went.

Auba is a goalscorer, he loves scoring goals and winning golden boots...many strikers these days have a "as long as the team wins, I don't mind not scoring mantra", I remember Laca saying this...Pierre is like "**** that, I am checking the scoring charts after every game to see how close I am to being top scorer" .

Think his individual drive will be fine for another deal, if he wants one here.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I remember Laca saying this...Pierre is like "**** that, I am checking the scoring charts after every game to see how close I am to being top scorer" .

Think this individual drive will be fine for another deal, if he wants one here.
Ronaldo mentality right there

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Alexis showed signs of dropping off whilst he was with us. He stopped running at players and getting in behind as much- wanted the ball a lot more to feet. He was still fantastic but that burst of pace he had left him. Torres was completely done over by injuries, he (and Carragher) admitted he was rushed back a few times as well.

I think Auba will be fine- there’s no way to know for sure of course but all the signs are positive.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Get rid of Lacazette and give Auba his contract

Get someone to take over from Auba in to develop over this new contract. Or get in a cheaper second option than Lacazette who is just terrible value for money these days.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I think Auba is more suited temperamentally to being a big fish in a small pool, so staying with us on increased wages, and having the Captain's armband, is the way forward for him and us, at least until we get back into the top four

say yes

forum master baiter
Hard to really know until we see him play there again. I suppose him and Martinelli could interchange if they start together?
They could interchange going forward, but I can't see Auba being effective playing central and linking up our play from deep.

Point being that I think we'd need to buy a replacement for Laca if we sold him. Unless Martinelli can excel there, but we haven't seen him play much central either.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Serious question: is Aubameyang capable of playing as a CF in Arteta's system?

I think so, yes. Look how he's been doing great defensively, the pressing part is defo there.

Key here is fixing the midfield so that we have better chance creation, possession and most importantly our shape and tempo.

Think he's being played on the wing a lot because of KT, Nketiah are all a bit young and Auba has a higher level of concentration. If Xhaka were more mobile we'd be seeing him starting centrally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom