• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Stupidly unrealistic. We will keep the core of our squad the same. Arteta clearly wants to spend big on 3 or 4 that will make a proper difference.

Upamecano - £40M
Aouar - £40m
Partey - £42M

Is a bare minimum just to challenge for top 4.
Read my post to B77 but if we do get Aouar and Partey I'm all in but that would also mean trimming the squad quite a bit.

I hadn't read Arteta's quotes in the previous pages but still I"m not sure we're going to get major targets like Aouar since if City can spend he'll likely go there instead.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
The confusion for me is whether Arteta, Raul and co will go the route of buying at the top end now or we're gonna go after a massive rebuild that's gradual.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Read my post to B77 but if we do get Aouar and Partey I'm all in but that would also mean trimming the squad quite a bit.

I hadn't read Arteta's quotes in the previous pages but still I"m not sure we're going to get major targets like Aouar since if City can spend he'll likely go there instead.

Not getting europa league might be a blessing in is disguise. Players like Laca, Torreira etc might say they actually want to leave for European footy. Which would be handy in terms of raising funds.

Aouar is of course the ideal scenario but even someone like Grealish would be good. United aren't after a creative mid anymore so.

Arteta's quotes suggest he wants to spend big in the key areas to allow us to get back into the CL. And with all things considered this is the best year to do it with ffp restrictions relaxed.

All the cash reserve money that has been ring-fenced can now be used if need be. Arteta can go all out if he wants to, but if he does not make CL football he's in serious trouble.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Mikel is right, 2-3 players can make a huge difference to a team which is why the idea of burning it all down and starting again is not needed.

Alison and VVD plus the emergence of Gomez and TAA transformed Liverpool from a good side to the best in Europe. Maguire, Wan Bissaka and Fernandes have vastly improved United, they were worse than we are, now they are a few steps ahead of us.

We take the physicality and creativity up a few levels in midfield for example and the defence and attack would look much better.

Without European football we could carry a smaller squad, that would give our coaches more time to improve the players we have.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Mikel is right, 2-3 players can make a huge difference to a team which is why the idea of burning it all down and starting again is not needed.

Alison and VVD plus the emergence of Gomez and TAA transformed Liverpool from a good side to the best in Europe. Maguire, Wan Bissaka and Fernandes have vastly improved United, they were worse than we are, now they are a few steps ahead of us.

We take the physicality and creativity up a few levels in midfield for example and the defence and attack would look much better.

Agreed. I think Partey, a CB and a creative mid are obviously Arteta's three main targets. 3 players of high quality change this team dramatically.

We are at a defining crossroads. Our wage bill is too high to spend another year out of the CL. We either spend big now to get back in or next summer the squad gets blown up and the real rebuild from the very bottom begins.

Hinderz

Also for me there isn't a CB that could change us in the way vvd changed liverpool. Upa is still young for example.
Not sure if he’s the right player for the PL or not but I read a report that Škriniar has fallen out with Conte, that seems like the profile of player we should be looking at if we have players to use as make weight. Physical, experienced, big reputation and could help bring Saliba through etc etc.

Edit: Just read that Inter are willing to sell and are looking at €60m and United are sniffing around. I wonder if Conte would want Guendouzi, or Torreira, or Laca or anyone else

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not sure if he’s the right player for the PL or not but I read a report that Škriniar has fallen out with Conte, that seems like the profile of player we should be looking at if we have players to use as make weight. Physical, experienced, big reputation and could help being Saliba through etc etc.

That would be an elite signing. I wouldnt rule anything out after Mikels comments. Looks like he really knows what we need and is willing to do it.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Stupidly unrealistic. We will keep the core of our squad the same. Arteta clearly wants to spend big on 3 or 4 that will make a proper difference.

Upamecano - £40M
Aouar - £40m
Partey - £42M

Is a bare minimum just to challenge for top 4.

I'm pretty sure that won't get the club anywhere. It's trying to quick fix structural squad issues by big money /Marquee signings when the issues run far deeper than e.g. throwing a CB and a DM into the mix.

Very worried about Arteta if that's his approach to "rebuild" Arsenal and he's banging on about spending money and transfers that early in his career. Seems to have leanred a lot from Pep in terms of trying to be a cheque book manager.

Toby

Sven want his old pals not sure Stuttgart can even afford his wages.

Nah, truly cannot see that coming. Stuttgart need anything but an aged stopgap or mentality player, we've got Holger Badstuber for that, and he's already a slow bit part player on massive wages who's impossible to shift before the contract runs out.

Goal at CB is two right footed players either in their prime or just about to hit it, strongest links to Mavropanos and Anton from Hannover. That's CB business sorted. Due to Corona one loan, one buy. Maybe offload Kaminski out of the lefties. That's all been pretty transparent, there's definitely no interest in Sokratis.

Hannover apparently play a bit of hardball with Anton, but I cannot see Stuttgart changing targets from a 23-year old with strong passing and the ability to play as a DM to a 32-year old washed up PL veteran who's a horrible passer. The only option might be Sokratis on a one year deal to sign Anton on a free next summer, and Mislintat might think a veteran like Sokratis comes in handy in relegation battle - but he'd cost a transfer fee and high wages, and if Stuttgart won't pay 5m for Anton they won't suddenly sign Sokratis and pay his wages. Can't really see it.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I'm pretty sure that won't get the club anywhere. It's trying to quick fix structural squad issues by big money /Marquee signings when the issues run far deeper than e.g. throwing a CB and a DM into the mix.

Very worried about Arteta if that's his approach to "rebuild" Arsenal and he's banging on about spending money and transfers that early in his career. Seems to have leanred a lot from Pep in terms of trying to be a cheque book manager.

Why wouldn't it fix the team? All 3 are very good players. Where would you go with it?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Why would you be worried about that? Klopp spent 326m over a one year period signing the main parts of his title winning team. Pep is also winning titles with City.

Are you saying you don't want Arsenal to rebuild in that way and sign players better than we already have to challenge? We don't need 500million spent to challenge, far from it.

When you sign top quality players you push the dross to leave the team and create better depth.

You cant tell me If the club signed Atal, Skriniar, Aouar, Partey and say Depay over this summer and next spending 300m in the process whilst also selling the deadwood and dross you'd be upset?

Toby

Why wouldn't it fix the team? All 3 are very good players. Where would you go with it?

Think the structural squad isses in terms of balance and other things such as e.g. mentality run far deeper than being easy fixes by throwing in a few good players. Imo the face of the team has to change, the squad has to be re-balanced, the mentality of the team has to change.

Besides I'm pretty sure Arsenal cannot get someone like Aouar and just throwing Partey into the mix of this current midfield imo won't change a lot. He might be individually better than what's currently at Arsenal - or won't, who knows - but he'll still be paired with 9 to 10 guys of the current lot and we all know how they perform.

I'm for a gradual and slower but thorough rebuild. These Van Dijk and Allisson signings Arteta talks about, they were the icing on the cake, the dot over the i, the finishing pieces to this Liverpool side, not the first steps - the first steps were to give the team a new face, a new mentality, structurally built a harmonic, working squad tailormade to the manager's needs.

With Raul and Edu and Arteta's recent comments I'm worried Arsenal will continue to stupidly throw money out the window to quick fix problems by adding supposed top players for big money, hoping just one DM or one CB will suddenly transform the team; like throwing **** at the wall trying to see what sticks.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Think the structural squad isses in terms of balance and other things such as e.g. mentality run far deeper than being easy fixes by throwing in a few good players. Imo the face of the team has to change, the squad has to be re-balanced, the mentality of the team has to change.

Besides I'm pretty sure Arsenal cannot get someone like Aouar and just throwing Partey into the mix of this current midfield imo won't change a lot. He might be individually better than what's currently at Arsenal - or won't, who knows - but he'll still be paired with 9 to 10 guys of the current lot and we all know how they perform.

I'm for a gradual and slower but thorough rebuild. These Van Dijk and Allisson signings Arteta talks about, they were the icing on the cake, the dot over the i, the finishing pieces to this Liverpool side, not the first steps - the first steps were to give the team a new face, a new mentality, structurally built a harmonic, working squad tailormade to the manager's needs.

With Raul and Edu and Arteta's recent comments I'm worried Arsenal will continue to stupidly throw money out the window to quick fix problems by adding supposed top players for big money, hoping just one DM or one CB will suddenly transform the team; like throwing **** at the wall trying to see what sticks.

Fair comments but you're talking as if it took Liverpool 5 years to sort the mess out.

They signed all of their main starting players in two years.

The manager has quite clearly changed the mentality and things you mentioned or is on the way to doing so. Hence his comments about it. He now needs the players bought in to match that.

Toby

Fair comments but you're talking as if it took Liverpool 5 years to sort the mess out.

They signed all of their main starting players in two years.

The manager has quite clearly changed the mentality and things you mentioned or is on the way to doing so. Hence his comments about it. He now needs the players bought in to match that.

Their current main starting players, but Klopp's been there since 2015. And he didn't start out with signing Salahs, Fabinhos, Alissons and VVDs. He got his squad sorted and streamlined, cleared out dross and gradually added quality.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I kind of thought thats what you're getting at, but a very reassuring thing so far about Mikel is he does seem to know exactly what he wants in terms of players. His comments last night were a bit bizarre but I don't think they really reflect how he's going to change Arsenal as he leans towards what a players mentality is like first and foremost and then talent next he said.

I trust Mikel has the final say in transfers and I also believe Josh Kroenke prefers Mikel over a guy like Emery from what we heard so it gives me faith somewhat that the board all have the same idea on where we need to go.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So Arteta says a few words and all of a sudden we're talking about Skriniar? How does that make sense. We're not finishing in Europe, the club is making losses, Kroenke has never invested.

I'm sure they'll try to do as much as possible, but they can't just conjure money out of thin air.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

So Arteta says a few words and all of a sudden we're talking about Skriniar? How does that make sense. We're not finishing in Europe, the club is making losses, Kroenke has never invested.

I'm sure they'll try to do as much as possible, but they can't just conjure money out of thin air.

This isn't true btw, last year Ornstein alluded to the fact that KSE provided some money, Pepe for 72M and a 60M bid for Upamecano suggested they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom