• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

DasBootist

Really positive game for Reiss, best in quite a while for us...if he can play like this for the rest of the Europa group games, then he could really force himself into the first team for the second half of the season.

He, like Saka, has everything Arteta wants in a wide player.
He's forcing his way in sooner than that, fella. That was Reiss in full on BEAST MODE. I want him to start against United, Willian can sit one out.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Willian isn’t trash btw. He’s just suffered like the rest of the attack.

He’s a decent technically gifted football player. We should be using him to get the ball to our front line instead of playing him in it.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You guys are setting the bar way too low for Nelson. There were actual multiple crucial moments where he should have done a lot better, and he’s capable of doing better too.

Think a few dribbles and successful take-ons have gassed everyone up. He should be able to do that in his sleep, he’s that talented.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
This is slightly unjust. Wenger didn't give Gnabry away. Bayern practically poached him. Arsène wanted him to stay.

And Sylvestre was a stop gap signing that didn't work well. I can't defend him over Cech though. Selling Wojiech for so little was criminal.
One of the ways you get a talented youngster to stay is giving them game time. Walcott and Welbeck were playing ahead of Gnabry. He looked good pretty much every time he featured for us. At the very least we should have forced Bayern to pay us a proper fee for him rather than giving him away to a feeder club and then looking stupid immediately when he exploded.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

You guys are setting the bar way too low for Nelson. There were actual multiple crucial moments where he should have done a lot better, and he’s capable of doing better too.

Think a few dribbles and successful take-ons have gassed everyone up. He should be able to do that in his sleep, he’s that talented.
I think that's his issue. Guys who are really technically exceptional often fall into 2 kinds of casual. He's the wrong kind. Neymar is the right kind(minus the occasional antics of course) where he already knows he can get wherever he wants on the pitch whenever he wants and thus he just relaxes and focuses on end product. Maybe with an extended run and some confidence, Nelson can be the right kind of casual.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Young players need to show more than Nelson has so far to get games. It’s funny all of last season and this season no one was advocating for him to play cause he shown so little. And the manager wanted to loan him out and only reason he is here is cause he refused. As the season goes on I rather have Willian who has shown he can do something for years rather than gamble on kid who has never shown much

Jokes :lol:

What exactly is he supposed show while sitting at home during match days?

In his last league start he scored a winning goal against the league and European champions, yet was dropped from the squad in subsequent weeks.

Developing players need continuity and trust.

The only youngsters Arteta gives relatively regular opportunities regardless of form are Saka and Nketiah.

Nelson and Willock are two who are less positionally disciplined and that is Arteta’s biggest pet peeve.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Jokes :lol:

What exactly is he supposed show while sitting at home during match days?

In his last league start he scored a winning goal against the league and European champions, yet was dropped from the squad in subsequent weeks.

Developing players need continuity and trust.

The only youngsters Arteta gives relatively regular opportunities regardless of form are Saka and Nketiah.

Nelson and Willock are two who are less positionally disciplined and that is Arteta’s biggest pet peeve.
The same manager who made a younger Saka an important player wanted to send Nelson out on loan as he felt he didnt need him this season. He watches him everyday in training. a lot of the love for Nelson here is rom youth football and he was supposed to be the one who made it. Also the fact that he was close friends with Sancho makes people think he is another Sancho. He is not. He may have skills and good attributes. Doesnt make you a very good player. We seen so many players who has good attributes who dont put it together. Nelson lacks the one thing that makes young players become top players and thats between his ears. He simply lack football intelligence and intelligence in general as he seems slow outside of the pitch as well

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Nelson has everything. He just needs Arteta's trust.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The same manager who made a younger Saka an important player wanted to send Nelson out on loan as he felt he didnt need him this season. He watches him everyday in training. a lot of the love for Nelson here is rom youth football and he was supposed to be the one who made it. Also the fact that he was close friends with Sancho makes people think he is another Sancho. He is not. He may have skills and good attributes. Doesnt make you a very good player. We seen so many players who has good attributes who dont put it together. Nelson lacks the one thing that makes young players become top players and thats between his ears. He simply lack football intelligence and intelligence in general as he seems slow outside of the pitch as well

That was Emery. By the time Arteta arrived Saka had developed confidence from regular first team game time.

Also what exactly do you mean by ‘he seems slow outside of the pitch’?

His personal friendship with Sancho has nothing to do with anything. David Beckham’s best man was Nicky Butt. Nobody cares.

You’re reaching into a black box here chief.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Only problem is that we've already got a good LB in Tierney. Unless we're playing 3 at the back we can only get one of them on the pitch at LB.

I know. Due to that I'd probably put him someone in central midfield.

Toby

Willian isn’t trash btw. He’s just suffered like the rest of the attack.

He’s a decent technically gifted football player. We should be using him to get the ball to our front line instead of playing him in it.

Willian is a waste of money, tbh. Too much focus on short term success and getting back into the CL. Yes, that is important for the club, but you shouldn't just chuck out short term "solutions" at the problem. The team needs a complete rebuild and that's going to take time, and a crucial part of that rebuild would've been to seriously rely on the youngsters instead of trying to push back into the CL as quickly as possible by e.g. signing guys like Willian. Should've tried to organically grow a new squad over 2 seasons and all these young players should play a part in that. There's no better time to throw them into the deep and than now. Willian is taking gametime away from e.g. Nelson. Let the boy play.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Willian is a waste of money, tbh. Too much focus on short term success and getting back into the CL. Yes, that is important for the club, but you shouldn't just chuck out short term "solutions" at the problem. The team needs a complete rebuild and that's going to take time, and a crucial part of that rebuild would've been to seriously rely on the youngsters instead of trying to push back into the CL as quickly as possible by e.g. signing guys like Willian. Should've tried to organically grow a new squad over 2 seasons and all these young players should play a part in that. There's no better time to throw them into the deep and than now. Willian is taking gametime away from e.g. Nelson. Let the boy play.

So a free signing is a waste of money? I know we have his wages but that's like £18m over 3 years. We paid double that for Mustafi in fee alone. Willian is a class player, his first couple of games here were very good and he scored. He's only been poor when the team performance was poor. For me he should be played just in front of Partey & Willock/Ceballos as a 3 man midfield. Put Saka on the left of front 3.

Toby

So a free signing is a waste of money? I know we have his wages but that's like £18m over 3 years. We paid double that for Mustafi in fee alone. Willian is a class player, his first couple of games here were very good and he scored. He's only been poor when the team performance was poor. For me he should be played just in front of Partey & Willock/Ceballos as a 3 man midfield. Put Saka on the left of front 3.

Yes I think it is. It isn't even so much the specific number of how much he earns. Willian will only lose financial value and likely regress physically and thus in his performances. Nelson earns less, is younger and has plenty of potential to develop. Only one player has a potential upward trajectory in the future. I don't think Willian offers anything Nelson couldn't offer in a season or two if he's given plenty of game time. If you're not willing to play and develop youngsters during a rebuild and instead sign short term stopgaps you never really will. I don't think this speaks for a proper mid to longterm strategy on how to run, develop and eventually get the club back to the top. It's just putting blinders on, setting your sight on the next goal - to get CL back as quickly as possible - and then see what happens.

Cl is important but so is an actual club strategy and identity you can sell to players othern than the likes of David Luiz, Cedric, Willian, etc. who are basically looking for a last paycheck in a top league. You put them in front of Saliba, Nelson, etc. and down the line ask yourself why the young gungs didn't develop like a Sancho did and are faced with having to sign more stopgaps.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yes I think it is. It isn't even so much the specific number of how much he earns. Willian will only lose financial value and likely regress physically and thus in his performances. Nelson earns less, is younger and has plenty of potential to develop. Only one player has a potential upward trajectory in the future. I don't think Willian offers anything Nelson couldn't offer in a season or two if he's given plenty of game time. If you're not willing to play and develop youngsters during a rebuild and instead sign short term stopgaps you never really will. I don't think this speaks for a proper mid to longterm strategy on how to run, develop and eventually get the club back to the top. It's just putting blinders on, setting your sight on the next goal - to get CL back as quickly as possible - and then see what happens.

Cl is important but so is an actual club strategy and identity you can sell to players othern than the likes of David Luiz, Cedric, Willian, etc. who are basically looking for a last paycheck in a top league. You put them in front of Saliba, Nelson, etc. and down the line ask yourself why the young gungs didn't develop like a Sancho did and are faced with having to sign more stopgaps.

I agree Nelson and other youngsters eg Willock, Saliba should be given a chance but that doesnt change the fact Willian is a class player and in my view NOT a waste of money. He's not going to play every game for the next 3 years, this will be the season he probably plays most. If Nelson can step up next season great but in the past he hasn't shone when given the chance in the PL, unlike Saka who took his opportunities with both hands.

Toby

I agree Nelson and other youngsters eg Willock, Saliba should be given a chance but that doesnt change the fact Willian is a class player and in my view NOT a waste of money. He's not going to play every game for the next 3 years, this will be the season he probably plays most. If Nelson can step up next season great but in the past he hasn't shone when given the chance in the PL, unlike Saka who took his opportunities with both hands.

Saka was given way more consecutive chances for various reasons. At a certain stage players need runs of games to develop. Same goes for Pepe btw to a certain degree.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Decent performance, I liked his willingness to always look to create something instead of just keeping it safe.. Now he needs to show the same confidence in tougher games..

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom