• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I feel like we are predisposed to rate young players for their end product before anything else. I remember Saka's breakthrough game against Frankfurt and for the first 80 minutes he was poor. He really struggled at LW and couldn't hold the ball without losing it but then in the 80 th minute he struck that goal into the bottom corner and then played in Auba to make it 3 nil. 2 assists and a goal and that basically kickstarted his career. Just think how end product has really changed what we see as a good performance.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

He played for himself a bit which is gonna happen when you’re starved of opportunities.

I feel for him and don’t understand how he doesn’t get games, but at the same time I get that playing kids costs results essentially.

Me personally, there’s enough things I like about him that I’d find a way to shoe horn him into my team. Feels like his last season though.

DasBootist

He played for himself a bit which is gonna happen when you’re starved of opportunities.

I feel for him and don’t understand how he doesn’t get games, but at the same time I get that playing kids costs results essentially.

Me personally, there’s enough things I like about him that I’d find a way to shoe horn him into my team. Feels like his last season though.
That game will instill much needed self-belief for Nelson. I see him having a big season.

Impact

Established Member
That game will instill much needed self-belief for Nelson. I see him having a big season.

It very much depends on Arteta. If Nelson’s season is restricted to Europa League group stage cameos and the Carabao cup, there is a limit to how big it can be.

Nelson has been a lot more direct in his two starting appearances this year. He has a profile we badly need in the first team. Seems to have also got a yard quicker. I think he has all the talent in the world and have regularly said he is our best talent from the Academy since Wilshere but he needs to prove it now.

These are steps on the right direction. Mikel needs to trust him with material consistent game time.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Must be very discouraging for Nelson and Willock to not even get a look in on the bench after the performance they put in against Dundalk, Have a feeling both will look for a way out if he's not given opportunities soon.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Must be very discouraging for Nelson and Willock to not even get a look in on the bench after the performance they put in against Dundalk, Have a feeling both will look for a way out if he's not given opportunities soon.
I actually don't think it was a big deal in the context of the last 7 days. It's an away game at Old Trafford. I didn't expect them to be in the squad given both played full 90s in the previous game and they likely would have had a difficult time getting into the 18-man squad ahead of the more experienced and trusted options. Given the tightness of the game and how it finished, it's unlikely they would have come off the bench anyway.

I think building up their confidence in the EL is the way for now, with a view to bringing them in after another strong performance. We have to remember that while they played really well, it wasn't the strongest opposition, and they'll have a tougher test this Thursday coming, against Molde - who've won both their games aswell and are the 2nd best performing team in the group. I want them to be given opportunities in the bigger games, but they also need to build up more momentum and confidence in their performances in these smaller games.

Hoping to see good, perhaps better, performances vs Molde. They got a good bit of confidence under their belts for the Dundalk game, against Molde I would like to see Nelson sharpen up his end product in particular. It's something he's normally very good at so I expect his passing and shooting to improve in the next game. Willock has the bit between his teeth and just needs to show it against better opposition.

I think if they both have excellent games vs Molde yet still don't make the bench the following game, then we can be a bit more worried.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

You could see from the way we ended the game with like 7 defenders that Arteta’s plan was always to nick a goal then bolt the door shut.

He prioritises experienced defensive subs on the bench. His attacking subs rarely involve a changing of shape or player’s position during the game.

I think it’s unfortunate because you can see that Saka still needs managing carefully to avoid burnout and the quicker we integrate Nelson the sooner we can do that.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Good thing that both Nelson and willock will play next game that what europa league useful for at times let's see if Nelson keep it up.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You could see from the way we ended the game with like 7 defenders that Arteta’s plan was always to nick a goal then bolt the door shut.

He prioritises experienced defensive subs on the bench. His attacking subs rarely involve a changing of shape or player’s position during the game.

I think it’s unfortunate because you can see that Saka still needs managing carefully to avoid burnout and the quicker we integrate Nelson the sooner we can do that.
I think a lot hinges on the coming game vs Molde. They'll be tougher opponents than Dundalk. We need to see if Nelson can continue to build his confidence in this game. Another dominant performance should earn him a spot. I fully agree re: Saka, although they still seem to be using him pretty deep. The attacking spots had all the experienced guys in it - Auba, Laca and Willian all hugely experienced. Even Pepe isn't getting much of a sniff.

Nelson still has a lot to do IMO, and I believe he's capable of doing it. I do think he should have been on the bench at least but I didn't expect it to happen, and I firmly think there's still an opportunity here to build momentum on Thursday, then we will see.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
So I guess man is done out here....:lol:

He is just unlucky. Plays decent, perfect game to impress after what he did last time out and he gets injured. Might be growing pains, but things may not end up working out here for him. Not because of lack of talent, but poor timing, mismanagement and prob some other psychological issues. I really think Sancho breaking out the way he did affected Nelson. Not that he was jealous, but it must have put even more pressure on him, then later Saka, someone younger and not as highly rated in the academy also made it look easy at times with the first team. Even Martinelli breaking out. Nelson might need a change of scenery. Maybe like Zaha, he will start breaking out by like 23/24 and establish himself on a lower level EPL team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He is just unlucky. Plays decent, perfect game to impress after what he did last time out and he gets injured. Might be growing pains, but things may not end up working out here for him. Not because of lack of talent, but poor timing, mismanagement and prob some other psychological issues. I really think Sancho breaking out the way he did affected Nelson. Not that he was jealous, but it must have put even more pressure on him, then later Saka, someone younger and not as highly rated in the academy also made it look easy at times with the first team. Even Martinelli breaking out. Nelson might need a change of scenery. Maybe like Zaha, he will start breaking out by like 23/24 and establish himself on a lower level EPL team.
Yeah, it's unfortunate but I think just dumb luck has lead to this. He would 100% have started today if he stayed fit. He will most likely be fit for the away leg of this Molde tie so hopefully he does well enough in training to get that start.

It's not great that he keeps getting these small injuries though, they probably prevent him from getting minutes more than anything else. Him and ESR.

Let's play Aubamawang

Yeah, it's unfortunate but I think just dumb luck has lead to this. He would 100% have started today if he stayed fit. He will most likely be fit for the away leg of this Molde tie so hopefully he does well enough in training to get that start.

It's not great that he keeps getting these small injuries though, they probably prevent him from getting minutes more than anything else. Him and ESR.
I agree, although I can't help thinking that these niggling injuries are caused by a lack of game time. It surely has to be hindering his fitness?

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Nelson is an arteta style player too, he is strategically aware, tidy on the ball and able to follow directions more so than some of our other younger crop.

nick gould

I was so so disappointed when the boy was not even on the bench on Thursday. Is it because his father is Zimbabwean or what, and Zimbabwe is not deemed a footballing country. I guess it's Arteta again. I mean the boy has been just a good as Willian. His dribbles have been successful. Acceleration with the ball great. Come on Arteta.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I was so so disappointed when the boy was not even on the bench on Thursday. Is it because his father is Zimbabwean or what, and Zimbabwe is not deemed a footballing country. I guess it's Arteta again. I mean the boy has been just a good as Willian. His dribbles have been successful. Acceleration with the ball great. Come on Arteta.

Yes it's because Reiss's father is probably pro Mugabe. Another Arsenal Player exiled for political reasons.

The real reason Sokratis isn't in the squad is because he's pro Trump

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He was injured mate. Comes back to training by tomorrow earliest most likely.

I really wish we had him available today though. There's a real opening for him if he can up his game.

Let's play Aubamawang

I'm inclined to agree @MutableEarth. At this point, we should just give game time to Nelson, Willock and Nketiah and see if they can make the step up. Willock's been playing well, Eddie is more of a handful than Lacazette, and Reiss is finally showing some of his potential. If they're fit, play them. We can't be much worse.

No goals from open play in 6.5 hours is pathetic. That's four and a half games since our last goal from open play. It's great being solid defensively (when it actually works), but we are so terrible in front of goal. Too many crosses with nobody on the end of them, not enough shots, and the ones we do have are rarely on target.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom