• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
I used to be a big fan of Özil then soured on him because of obvious reasons - but his Arsenal legacy is complex and not as cut and dry to me. I’ve learned a lot about the situation since the days I ragged on him.

It is possible to want players to move on and not hate them. I love Pepe for example, but seeing him is a downer so I hope he leaves and rebuilds his career - Id rather see him play.
I agree it hasn’t all been his doing and the club are partly responsible for the way it ended so ****ty. Thing is, a lot of his supposed “haters” agree with that but people tend to get labelled as such too easily here and I don’t think it’s fair. What is ‘hate’ anyway? That’s what irks me. What is the definition of “hate” on a football forum? They are throwaway comments most of the time, admittedly, but it doesn’t help things going forward if the ‘hater’ card is going to be pulled out all the time along with the conspiracies. We can see what’s happening with Auba and it’s not the same.

You say you love Pepe but that’s just the opposite of hate. You will defend him to the hilt and lean over backwards to do so, where as others will maybe lean the other way to discredit him. Who’s right or wrong there? People will think you are giving him too much credit and leeway and you will accuse them of hating :lol:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I agree it hasn’t all been his doing and the club are partly responsible for the way it ended so ****ty. Thing is, a lot of his supposed “haters” agree with that but people tend to get labelled as such too easily here and I don’t think it’s fair.
There are people who think only Özil is at fault, and people who think its only the club. In my opinion these groups of people are far off the mark. Its clear that its a mix of both, it just depends how much you proportion the %.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I don't think Özil is going to put a foot wrong in Turkey. Thats where he will probably live and have political interests. His PR team covered a lot of stuff here but he wont want to be a polarising figure in Turkey (although it looks like he may already be, amongst the highly educated Erdogan haters).
We’ll see I suppose but I don’t think he’ll be able to resist slipping back into comfort mode. I’m predicting a strong start which tails off into persistent “injuries”

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We’ll see I suppose but I don’t think he’ll be able to resist slipping back into comfort mode. I’m predicting a strong start which tails off into persistent “injuries”
Perhaps with the injuries, but I think that considering hes going into a last contract type scenario, he will probably have more rope to do that. Also, he will have a large audience who massively love his political views as it echoes Trum.... I mean Erdogan.

Reactions: roz

Sweet'n'Soulful

I don't think Özil is going to put a foot wrong in Turkey. Thats where he will probably live and have political interests. His PR team covered a lot of stuff here but he wont want to be a polarising figure in Turkey (although it looks like he may already be, amongst the highly educated Erdogan haters).
The super lig is such a huge drop in class that it’s actually a tad embarrassing. It’s only for the fact that it’s a sort of homecoming that makes it acceptable for a player of his years and talent to play there. He could retire, eat burgers for five years, come out of retirement and still stand out over there. I hope and expect him to have the end of career that his talent deserves.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The super lig is such a huge drop in class that it’s actually a tad embarrassing. It’s only for the fact that it’s a sort of homecoming that makes it acceptable for a player of his years and talent to play there. He could retire, eat burgers for five years, come out of retirement and still stand out over there. I hope and expect him to have the end of career that his talent deserves.
I will never forget when I once searched up Andre Santos on transfermarkt and he was in the Turkish second division banging them in as a number 10 :lol:. If Santos can play well as a 10 in the second division then I'm sure Özil can tear up the first division.

Sweet'n'Soulful

I will never forget when I once searched up Andre Santos on transfermarkt and he was in the Turkish second division banging them in as a number 10 :lol:. If Santos can play well as a 10 in the second division then I'm sure Özil can tear up the first division.
:lol: Good luck to him. No.10.... good lord :shivering:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
:lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

There are people who think only Özil is at fault, and people who think its only the club. In my opinion these groups of people are far off the mark. Its clear that its a mix of both, it just depends how much you proportion the %.
I think there is blame both sides. Personally I attribute the majority of it on Özil. If he was performing on the pitch there wouldn't have been a single issue. But he wasn't and the club tried to force him out. Mesut stood his ground and done what he had to do. A stand off happened and in the end we paid him off to leave.

I do think as I've said previously that Mesut is IMO morally wrong to not take a reduced pay off, especially in the current climate. Hopefully he has given something up and now both parties can move forward.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Personally thought when he was good he was fabulous to watch at times but post Alexis and Santi who were more important in our success during his time he was past it. The Leicester season he peaked as an individual player though.

He was highly inconsistent, ineffective and limited in most of his time here though.
agreed - he was unable to step up to even partially fill the hole left by Santi and Ramsey

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
16514716586_49e92f9306_b.jpg

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
agreed - he was unable to step up to even partially fill the hole left by Santi and Ramsey
Yeah for a player of his level, you'd expect to take up the leading role. Previously we had Cesc and RVP who'd do that on the power of personality in addition to their quality. Alexis and to an extent Santi were also capable of taking hold of games by themselves but Özil only sporadically was able to take charge.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Özil was always the perfect side guy though, he needs to play next to a more dominant personality to get the best out of him...like Ronaldo at Madrid, or Sanchez at Arsenal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Özil was always the perfect side guy though, he needs to play next to a more dominant personality to get the best out of him...like Ronaldo at Madrid, or Sanchez at Arsenal.
Really? When Özil was the best player in the team in 13/14 and 15/16, they challenged for the league. When it was Alexis in 14/15 and 16/17, they were miles off the pace.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Always felt Özil was a luxury which we couldn't afford on the pitch through the course of a season. First half of Özil's career at Arsenal, the club failed him by not having few more dynamic players, we basically gave him Giroud and in the second-half of his career here he failed everyone including himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 26

Sturm Graz Sporting Director Andreas Schicker says he will meet Arsenal next week to attempt to sign striker Mika Biereth permanently [Kurier]

Arsenal have made contact with Stade Rennais and representatives regarding a move for Désiré Doué this summer. They are joined by PSG, Manchester United, Sp**s, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in the pursuit for the 18 year-old [The Secret Scout]

Arsenal are in the running to sign Crystal Palace attacker Michael Olise alongside Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea [Darren Lewis - The Mirror]

Emile Smith Rowe will hold talks with the club this week as the likelihood of him leaving for more playing time grows [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom