• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

skip spence

Against Liverpool I'd rather Maitland Niles started over Monreal at LB, Monreal's proved over the years that he struggles badly against quick, skillful wingers and Salah/Mane would of ruined him. Maitland Niles has done well for us at LB, I've been impressed so far.
To be honest I can see the rational in that, AMN is very fast and should on paper be better equipped to deal with Mane/Salah. Still I feel that atm both Monreal and Kolasinac are much better left backs overall but I guess this is a case of Wenger and the coaching team actually trying to be tactical.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

AMN was fine against Liverpool, no idea why there's such a big thing being made of it.

skip spence

Better speed but caught out of position a few times and Liverpool exploited that. The kid seems way composed though. Like his style & presence. Think he'll be a good player for us. Could probably do with some good coaching if he's going to play in the back 4 or as wing back.
He has some interesting attributes, he's fast and, as you say, composed. But I've not seen much edge in his game. Kolasinac has shown he can be decisive and deadly in the final third, AMN has shown little of that. But I guess Niles was in the team to neutralise Salah with his pace. Still, odd decision. Both nacho and kola are much better left backs overall at the moment, imo

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
AMN was fine against Liverpool, no idea why there's such a big thing being made of it.
he did get caught out of position a few times but don't think he was the real issue as to why we were so crap at the back.

Even Franco Baresi would probably look like an amateur in our set up.

Last edited:

StefanB

Niles is a CM/CDM. He's got pace, is decent defensively and got good technique. Why he's getting played at LB is kinda weird, but I accepted it because he got some exposure in the first team.

But now I'm getting worried because apparantly he's dispatched Kolasinac as the starting leftback. He's so much better in central midfield, but now I'm afraid he'll get stuck at playing as a fullback under Wenger, and he'll be yet another talent who's had his confidence broken by Wenger.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

That's really not what's being debated here?

The concern is that, individual players may look good here and there but collectively, we look completely disorganised and a large reason for that is players constantly playing out of position. Liverpool had 9 shots on target against us at the Emirates. 9. They got in at will. That can't happen.

Our balance and shape matters because we are so reliant on passing options for the man on the ball and it's fundamental to how well we contain the opposition without the ball.

eyoba

I would play him in cm if it was up to me in place of either Xhaka or Wilshere. He is faster and stronger than both and his passing and his ability to get the ball out to our players when pressed has impressed me the most.

Mraven

The concern is that, individual players may look good here and there but collectively, we look completely disorganised and a large reason for that is players constantly playing out of position. Liverpool had 9 shots on target against us at the Emirates. 9. They got in at will. That can't happen.

Our balance and shape matters because we are so reliant on passing options for the man on the ball and it's fundamental to how well we contain the opposition without the ball.

Problem is lack of structure and leadership. Both Monreal and Koscielny are experienced CBs, yet they kept messing up all through first half. AMN pressing high on first goal is how we play. Wenger clearly instructs it.

Playing AMN at LB was a great decision. Kolasinac hasn't played well for a while and playing Monreal up against Salah is a laughable suggestion.

Impact

Established Member

I don't think that Maitland-Niles playing at left-back had anything to do with this. It's moreso that our midfielders and attackers were unbalanced for several reasons:

- playing with three left footed midfielders reduces your passing options/lanes/angles;
- Xhaka doesn't have the mobility to play as sole anchor with Wilshere/Özil as interiors;
- Wenger asked Xhaka to push up to occupy players during our build up so that Özil and Wilshere could drop deep to start our attacks but this left us exposed if either of them lost possession or toothless if Xhaka (aka mr slow feet) received the ball in the final third
- Alexis and Iwobi offered no width;
- Alexis and Iwobi wanted to operate in the same spaces as Wilshere/Özil which led to narrow and predictable attacks;
- Lacazette was isolated as our wide forwards wanted the ball to feet and made little to no runs in behind; and
- Wilshere and Özil had far too great distances between them during the game which inhibited our build up.

^ That's not even an exhaustive list. It's just the first few things that came to mind just now.

nick gould

Kolasinac and Nacho are both rubbish at LB.
Give Kolasinac a break, we have not seen him play as a Left back. He has been playing as a wing back for most games and I concur that he struggles mainly with getting up and down. Which makes sense because he is built like a sprinter so I would not expect him to have the stamina especially for a team which keeps losing position forcing our wing backs to sprint back. Having said that, I am yet to see him beat one v one by a winger. He give the winger a kick they would not try it again. So for the Liverpool game I would have gone with Kolasinac.

This is not good for miles. Deep down he knows he cocked up for the first goal and as a young finding his feet in a star studded team, this can’t be good for his confidence.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
AMN has looked very promising.

I like seeing him getting some game time. He's done well and gives a solid rotational option to Kola who I've liked as well so far. I see no harm in giving Kola a couple of games on the bench here and there.

Wilshere1010

Impressed by him but I'd like to see him get a chance in CM. Whether you rate Xhaka or not, there's no doubt he needs to dropped even if its only to give him a kick up the backside.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He did okay in his cameo tonight. He effortlessly got us to the corner flag to relieve pressure and has a real ability to eat the yards on the pitch. It's a shame Coq took up his place as we didn't really see him at CM.

StefanB

I'd rather Debuchy in for Bellerin and give Niles a well deserved try-out in midfield.

But if RWB means he gets to play (as opposed to not) then RWB is a far better option then LWB.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'd rather Debuchy in for Bellerin and give Niles a well deserved try-out in midfield.

But if RWB means he gets to play (as opposed to not) then RWB is a far better option then LWB.
Debuchy has already reiterated his desire to leave the club since the EL group stage stopped, I don't see him being a serious option after saying such. AMN has now become the main deputy for both full-back spots - it makes sense to sub him in for Bellerin when the time calls for it, particularly if Debuchy is truly intent on leaving the club in January.

I'd much prefer AMN to get a run in midfield, but Xhaka/Wilshere is beginning to gel as a partnership (Xhaka had a pretty good game vs Palace) and I doubt Wenger will want to break it up - he's often loathe to do those things. He'll probably also trust Coquelin more. What's interesting is how far down the pecking order Elneny looks to have fallen.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Latest posts

Top Bottom