• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't think fans are really in a position to judge how best to run a football club, they simply don't have enough information or experience, you can only really speculate from afar.

I think it's pretty cool though that the two most powerful football people at the club are two ex-players, plus the academy manager, and the whole executive structure is pretty young now. They also seem to be much more transparent than executives at other clubs. Time will whether it's a successful structure.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Does anyone remember was is Edu who said they aim to "balance the squad"? Or am I just remembering wrong?

That meaning they want for example better midfielders. Selling GK & RB (who seem to want 1st team assurances) where we have good depth seems like what is going on.

And I think that Arteta sees the logic in these kind of moves for the overall situation/quality of the squad.

I answer my own question.

"on whether he wants one or two more signings...
We are still active in the market, we are looking at different options. I would say we are active in the market for players in and out, at the moment the squad balance is not the ideal we want to achieve so there is still some work to do. We have to bear in mind the complication with this transfer market and the complexity and the timing, because you can see that clubs are behaving in many different ways and it is a little bit uncertain how this will work in the next few weeks.

on how the squad is imbalanced...
Firstly number-wise. Some positions are overbooked, I said some others, in terms of specific qualities that we need, they are still not there. It is going to be very difficult to achieve what we want in one window or two windows. It is a process, it has to evolve and most importantly it has to be a sustainable model that we can consistently feed in using our academy players."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-fulham-new-season-squad-balance

scytheavatar

Established Member
It never failed to begin with, it actually carried us for long periods of time because if you actually have an elite manager, which almost no one does, then he exactly knows what's needed and who would fit the bill.

Separating those two elements is actually aweful, you only do that, if you don't trust your manager and switch him every 1-2 years.

Wenger never failed, he fought the odds of time like no one before and he even did so with banter finances. He would probably still be manager, if he ever got a refresher like Chelsea this year being backed with money.

You could say Wenger wasn't as superior as before because others have catched up with young spirits and thoughts, but he was still good, just not overachieving anymore since competition became surreal.

Ffs, even Klopp, the best coach on the planet "failed" at Dortmund and got sacked there after a few years. Doing what Wenger did is unmatched

Wenger passed on Griezmann and passed on Auba for a long time because of advice from his scouts.......... ever since 2015/16 he was getting increasingly out of touch with the transfer market and weakening the squad with every transfer window. Once upon a time Wenger could look at every player his scouts recommend and judge if they will suit Wengerball, but modern day recruitment has become so cutthroat that you need someone working full time on deciding who to sign. If Arteta right now is able to "exactly knows what's needed and who would fit the bill" then he has too much free time and is probably not doing his job as first team manager properly.

Manberg

Predator
Wenger passed on Griezmann and passed on Auba for a long time because of advice from his scouts.......... ever since 2015/16 he was getting increasingly out of touch with the transfer market and weakening the squad with every transfer window. Once upon a time Wenger could look at every player his scouts recommend and judge if they will suit Wengerball, but modern day recruitment has become so cutthroat that you need someone working full time on deciding who to sign. If Arteta right now is able to "exactly knows what's needed and who would fit the bill" then he has too much free time and is probably not doing his job as first team manager properly.

Or maybe he's just dedicated? I cannot know exactly how it works but I assume that Arteta will have detailed info on players and will pick players who best fit the characteristics and mentality he's looking for and assign them as targets.
The alternative is what was happening with Raul and Gazidis, business people without football knowledge purchasing players on their instruction and expecting the manager to assimilate them into the team. That way never gets results.

Look at Klopp's buys, you can identify similar characteristics in all of them. They're fast, athletic, determined etc. Suits his style of play. That's what I hope we're doing with Arteta, building the team using players Arteta wants, adjusted to his style of play.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Why do so many “fans” on here focus on that one Sp**s game for Santi :lol:

nick gould

Great, a new season is upon us. Arsenal fans are feeling confident. I am feeling pretty confident myself. If the first 10 games go well, I can see Arteta pushing the top teams all the way. However, I have to keep reminding myself that Arteta is new in the game and is still learning especially in terms of substitutions. He looks like a good big game manager but has made some strange decisions in his short Arsenal career so far.

Firstly, AMN played well in Arteta's first games. And then out of nowhere, he was dropped. Completely frozen out to such an extent that we saw Sokratis play at right back.

Secondly, Torreira played well as well in Arteta's first games. Then without much of an explanation, he was frozen out.

Then there is the Joe willock one. Most people think he should be a 8? Arteta insists on playing him as a 10. The boy has no spatial awareness needed to play there.

Please don't you think I am being too critical. Arteta has more going for him than most. I have never felt this positive about arsenal for over 10 years.

Aubamagoal

I hope that the restructure of the scouting departmeent will allow Arteta to make a better informed decision on signings. There was an article from untold arsenal (https://untold-arsenal.com/archives/82498) that outlines the modernization of scouting into being stats driven that belies the redundancies in scouting we've seen this year.

Surprisingly, Wenger saw this much earlier but had a problem adopting it/trusting it over his old methods. The man's loyalty to people was his best quality and the reason for his eventual downfall.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I was very young when Arsène first took over and can only vaguely remember bits and pieces of the first season or 2 but hope this is a similar feeling to what fans had then with Mikel now.
Think Arsène played 3 at the back to start with as well.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom