• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2007-2008 Matchday Player Ratings

MDGoonah41

Established Member
The first post here has been edited, as I felt this would be a good place to compile all the player ratings. We can continue to discuss a "better" rating system, but for the rest of the season, check back on this first post, you'll see all of the weekly ratings, as well as an updated graphic that shows the average ratings for every player for every match.

Overall graphic, updated through Wigan

2072158556_55b8d606c0.jpg

Click here for a larger image.

Man of the Match, according to you

Fulham: Hleb
@ Blackburn: Sagna
City: Hleb and Toure
Portsmouth: Fabregas
@ Spuds: Fabregas
Derby: Adebayor
@ West Ham: Flamini
Sunderland: van Persie
@ Liverpool: Hleb
ManU: Fabregas/Clichy
@ Reading: Hleb
Wigan: Gallas

KY

Established Member
why don't we just rate players in every game in this thread instead of starting up a new one after every game. 60++ extra threadsa season for ratings is a bit overdoing it i think....

rednwhitearmy

Resident Noob
i think this was proposed a couple years ago here. But yes, good idea, and im sure Jonathan and the elders ( :lol: ) would like the idea and support it aslong as it was your worry.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
ky, if we just rate them in this thread, it would be very very messy, i think the current setup is fine, no need of any changing

Lancelot

Established Member
That is a very good idea indeed, MDGoonah41. How kind of you to offer yourself as a ratings collector as well.

It could turn out to be quite a heavy workload for you as there could be even more people who are interested and want to participate once they know that their ratings count for something.

The problem is how many people exactly is needed for this to start? Are we talking about unanimous consensus or are some of us going to do this anyway despite the fact that some others insist on giving out the usual 1-10 ratings?

What was your initial expectation on this?

banduan

Established Member
I propose one pinned thread with ratings for each match from a panel of 5 elected members.

The existing ratings threads are fine for a general opinion. nobody takes them seriously anyway.

qs

Established Member
You think you can do a 1-5 rating system? The lads here are indecisive when its out of ten they have to use halves as well.

I like the player ratings threads individually. If we had one big thread for them it could confusing when the fixtures are bunched together.

I see nothing wrong with how its done now TBH.

Standardised out of 10 no halfs would be cool but who'd collect the data? Any actuaries on here who love stats and stuff?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
1-5 ratings doesnt leave enough room for "slightly better than average" or things like that.. 1-10 has always been how people have rated players, even for Sky... to be honest, we should have a player rating thread for each match... you cant have one thread for all ratings, it would end up being 200 pages long.. not even you would keep up with that...

asajoseph

Established Member
qs said:
You think you can do a 1-5 rating system? The lads here are indecisive when its out of ten they have to use halves as well.

I like the player ratings threads individually. If we had one big thread for them it could confusing when the fixtures are bunched together.

I see nothing wrong with how its done now TBH.

Standardised out of 10 no halfs would be cool but who'd collect the data? Any actuaries on here who love stats and stuff?

Acutaries? Nope, it's students you need - they're the only ones with enough free time.

To be honest, this seems like a bit of a faff to me - not really sure we'd collect anything particularly interesting out of it, considering all the effort it would require. MdGoonah, if you want to go ahead with this, I suggest you just keep this thread going, and collect the data provided - but you may find it somewhat challenging to keep up with this over the course of a 60 match season!

Oh, and it's 1-10 all the way. Not nearly enough flexibility with 1-5

belgianfan

This will be very difficult, because the ratings will need to change.

Like if a player was the best on the field, but still pretty average, but the rest was bad, ratings are given too fast. He would probably get a nine, because of the motm, but his performance could be just a 7.

Didn't talentscout wanted to do something like this, with match difficulties asswell.

If you could select a few people on this forum who give trustworthy ratings and everybody on here agrees with those chosen ones, maybe you could get a special acces for these guys?

Is a poll possible after every match for ratings or so?

dutchMasta

MDGoonah41, if you're willing to do this, then it would be great. But you'd have to check every ratings thread rather than get people into this thread and rating it. Just keep editing your first post in the thread with the updated average ratings after each match. And to keep things standard, best leave it out of 10 like how most people do.

If you could have some sort of POST form or whatever, where users select the rating and post it after every match, on your website, so it collects all the data automatically, then it would make things easier, though not sure everyone would do it, could have the opposite effect and get loads of people voting (but we'd have to try and restrict access or else tons of Sp**s fans could bring it down). You could even do it so it's per match (categorising each match under it's respective tournament/league), and then have overall league/overall champions league/overall fa cup,etc. and overall in the season (so far, until it's complete), so we can see if certain players have more impact in Europe or in the league or whatever. Voting will stop 3 days or so after the match finishes, and people can post comments about the player too....anyway, that's going to be hard to code assumably (I know NOTHING about website coding). Just throwing some ideas around.

Would be even better if it could be integrated into the site/forums somehow.

Adding other info could be useful, but not too much or else it'll be too much work. Just like, rating, and appearances, with brackets next to it for substitute appearances and MAYBE minutes on the pitch, but I'm sure you can find that easily on any of the big sports sites, or just leave it out, doesn't matter all that much.

Of course, you'd have to ignore a lot of joke ratings or else Song would probably be our player of the season. This could be like our official A-M player of the season based on ratings, and we can compare our ratings with players of the month/year, etc.

Hope you go through with it! Good luck.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
OK, well since it's here for discussion now, here is my plan and the idea I had. I can start a thread in the Topic Relegation for Matchday ratings of every match. Having 1 thread for 60+ matches isn't practical at all. I'll just start the thread, post the rating scale, and then have everyone post their ratings. It won't take long at all for me to collect the data, I'm good at stuff like this, and I can build a spreadsheet that makes entering and organizing the data painless. I love numbers and statistics, and use them all the time for baseball, which is even more in depth and thorough.

My goal for using the 1-5 was to make it easier and much more clear cut. As I mentioned in the original post. Has anyone ever rated any player a 1? If the scale is 1 to 10, and no one ever gets lower than a 4 or higher than a 7.5, then it really seems kind of strange to have a 1-10 scale. Half points are ok, and I suppose you could use the 1-5 scale and allow half points. I originally wrote

5: Excellent performance, man of the match type effort
4: Above average performance, not quite elite
3: Average all around
2: Below average effort
1: Very poor showing

If you wanted to give a player a 3.5, or a 4.5, that would be fine, and it wouldn't be a problem in terms of me calculating and collecting the data.

So, as I see it, the biggest key for this project to work is there to be a universal format for each Matchday Ratings thread. I'll submit this post, then my next post will be an example of how I'd write up the post.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
[thread title]

Sparta Prague v Arsenal, CL Qualifying [Official Player Ratings]

Please submit your player ratings for today's match using the following scale

5: Excellent performance, man of the match type effort
4: Above average performance, not quite elite
3: Average all around
2: Below average effort
1: Very poor showing

Half points are acceptable, 5 is the max score, 1 is the lowest possible score. All scores will be tabulated and the results posted before the next match.

---------------------------

If you post that at the top of the thread, hopefully people would adhere to those guidelines and be helpful to the process. Invariably, some people will just hit reply and not even bother to read it, but hopefully it will catch on. I really think it would be an interesting thing to look back on.

We could use this thread, stickied at the top, to post all the links for all the threads so we could look back and find an archive of all previous ratings threads, and I can post the results in this thread as well.

If anyone has suggestions, let me know. Again, I'm willing to do all the work here. It looks like yesterday's game got about 40-50 replies, that wouldn't take me more than 30 minutes to compile.

stuart

Established Member
I hate the matchday ratings threads to be honest. I mean, whats the point? Who actually goes through analyzing how everyone rates the players? All it is, is peoples opinions from the matchday thread, condensed down and with numbers beside them!

MDGoonah41

Established Member
'tis ok. It's clearly not for everyone, but I'm a numbers junkie, so the concept appeals to me. In fact, the actual ratings themselves don't interest me that much, just how different people perceive the same act. Like, how someone can rate Gallas a 6, but another person could rate him an 8. It's the same performance, but it's two different views. That's the stuff that I like.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
here's the thing... you are going to have 1 of 2 things happen...

1. you will start your thread where you want a 1-5 rating.. most on here dont want a 1-5 rating system.. never had it, seems too "qualifying".. so they will start a different rating thread where people can use the 1-10 rating system...

2. you will get people posting in your thread who whill give a 1-10 rating....

either way, you have created more work for someone.. either yourself to sift through and find those that gave a 1-5 rating or the bandwidth that will be wasted having 2 separate threads open for ratings...

if you dont care about sifting through pages and pages of posts trying to find people who actually scored the way you wanted them to, feel free.. if the other version happens, then we will have to step in and decide which thread gets locked.... and just based on observations for the past 7 years on here, most people like to use the 1-10 rating system as it has always been that way and is more universally used.. which will invariably lead to your thread getting locked...

if i were to suggest something (and again, purely a suggestion), i would say to try to do your analysis based on the threads that already get created and use the rating system in there.. trying to re-create the wheel would be a bit of a waste of time, IMO...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
personally, i would like to see some sort of mechanism like a poll that you could "select" your rating for players in the games.. the forum, however, doesnt have that function, and would be a fair amount of work for the Administrators to create it...

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom