• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A bitter Edu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think Edu's card was marked the minute he started f'cking us around last summer and Brazil became more important to him than the club that pays his wages.

JGooner

God, I'm going to miss this guy. He makes Flamini look like a headless chicken. So much class and composure. I don't what it was about our initial negotiations that upset him, but we're going to regret it if we have injury problems in central midfield next.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
so it wasnt about wages but now it is? and what prevents him from accepting our offer now? bye bye edu.

Exactly, it's not like we only just offered him a contract.

I won't miss this grinning mercenary one little bit.

Ratinho

Established Member
burnsjed said:
losing players to the free transfer is becoming a bad habit

Yep. Edu, and....erm....help?

He dind't want to stay, because if he did, he would have.

informed1

OneteaminLondon said:
Wiltord, Kanu and (I think) Parlour...

I thought it was wiltord, keown and kanu....someone went for £500,000 I think or was that Kanu...jeez dont remember I am getting old.

However I think Edus head was turned at some point and it was inevitable that he would leave unless he was gauranteed regular starts as well as a pay rise. I dont think we would have given him what he wants even if they make a last ditch attempt.

Aussie

Established Member
Edu dont push it to far mate.

Your lucky with the send off you got.

If you wanted to stay at Arsenal you wouldnt have made stupid wage demands that you did.

JGooner

Where in that interview does Edu mention wages? All he says is that club talked to him in a different way, which is more likely to hint at a lack of urgency to give him a new deal (which would conform to Bergkamp's criticisms of the club in recent weeks) or to indicate clearly where he would be in the midfield pecking order than it does to anything about money.

Oneteaminlondon - you will be missing this "grinning little mercenary" if we have a midfield injury crisis next season and Flamini ends up having to play 10 straight games in the first team. Flamini runs around a lot but he lacks Edu's physical presence and has the distributional capacity of a bazooka.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Aussie said:

If you wanted to stay at Arsenal you wouldnt have made stupid wage demands that you did.

shut it. you don't know the specifics of the negotiations...

patrick42uk

Established Member
one way or another i feel money played a part. if it wasnt when negotiations first started with edu not feeling enough 'love' (as mourinho aptly put it referring to the extra dollars cudicini will be getting to stay), then it will be now when he has admitted the club's stance has changed but his will not. surprising considering he loved the club so much so why cant he forgive a little transgression? he's obviously been offered enough money somewhere else that has turned his head. and if its a top club, its clear arsenal's top limit for a squad player, which is what i assume he was offered now, wont match that.

_scorpion_

Established Member
No doubt we will miss him...

I do think our club has probelms when it comes to negotiating with players....that cannot be denied, I mean look at how we stalled on Lauren for instance.

I always had the impression that it was originally about money....but later became about pride. I think Edu wanted to stay but was probably too upset with how he was originally handled.....

I agree with JGonner in that we will miss his physical presence, but Gilberto is better at the 'mop up work'.

The thing I liked about Edu is that he could play the attacking Vieria role when needed and offer us more size than young Cesc.

satan_beckham

onviously arsenal haf some problems regarding extension of deals of players...bergkamp and edu already voice out the fustrations, wiltord already left!! Campbell at 30 plus now ,will he be subjected to that only extend 1 year deal which the club haf for 30+ players? if so, campbell is likely to leave soon too....Pires another problem....

patrick42uk

Established Member
perhaps the club is fairly prudent in terms of contract negotiations, but consdering our size, its understandable. look at the size of the stadium for instance. big wages is something we cannot afford to do, not if we want to maintain the stability that is the hallmark of this club. the problem is that as the players we sign, origninally unknown and unpopular, improve their status by riding off the success of a club punching way above its weight, their wage demands start to change. sometimes the players become big enough and important enough to this club that we do meet these demands e.g. henry and vieira. but unfortunately, we will have to make do without others. its a sad fact but the club moves on. i'd only be worried about this if i felt wenger was unhappy about the prudency. but i think he actively encourages and his transfer policy is geared to dealing with it.

Aussie

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
Aussie said:

shut it. you don't know the specifics of the negotiations...

Im sorry but if Edu really wanted to stay at Arsenal he would have made reasonable wage demands and from all reports he didnt, we cant afford to pay him want he wants so he leaves. Its just the way it is.

He is a very good player. Never would have been a regular starter for Arsenal however and clearly thats what he wants along with a bigger pay day.

bittersmile

what's difference between now and one year agao? The only one is he is free to go now and this will earn him a lot of money. He just wants to hide this and find other excuse.

Biggus

Established Member
Hmmm Edu is pure class.....Hes never had a real long run in the team......I would have liked to have seen him and Gilberto together in midfield......when Vieira was going on with all his crap......guess we'll never know now :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom