• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby - The Square Peg

raidersoftheark

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Diaby has played 2 or 3 times in his preferred position this season. If that constitutes as a real chance, than there isn't much that can be said. People need to stop quoting his bloody age, every player progresses at a different rate. What makes it all the more hilarious, is that he suffered an injury that set his progress back years, but that just get's conveniently ignored.

I agree completely.

People are just looking for things to moan about. His talent is plain to see and I think he'll be a fantastic player, and this is the key idea here - in the right set-up.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Diaby is quicker than he looks. He must be, the way he pulled away from agbonlahor at Villa park with some pretty powerful strides.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Flamini played in a position and is the type of player that doesn't need abundance of intelligence or talent to be great. Thats why he was able to do what he did. Diaby on the other hand...

FrankArsenal

raidersoftheark said:
outlaw_member said:
Diaby has played 2 or 3 times in his preferred position this season. If that constitutes as a real chance, than there isn't much that can be said. People need to stop quoting his bloody age, every player progresses at a different rate. What makes it all the more hilarious, is that he suffered an injury that set his progress back years, but that just get's conveniently ignored.

I agree completely.

People are just looking for things to moan about. His talent is plain to see and I think he'll be a fantastic player, and this is the key idea here - in the right set-up.

That's exactly what I was thinking while reading the posts above what Outlaw said. I have nothing add to that but I keep on wondering where the whole myth comes from that Diaby is weak mentally? Not tracking back (which is another myth) makes someone mentally weak?

I'm not saying he's going to make it but the jury is still out on him, he needs to get a run of 15+ games not 3. And he's got al the natural attributes: Skill, technical, height. Someone work much more on stamina and understanding of the game. (Not saying you can train Fabs-vison, but you can sure learn a bit).

DaGunners

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Diaby is quicker than he looks. He must be, the way he pulled away from agbonlahor at Villa park with some pretty powerful strides.
Yeah, his long strides make him look slow. And that was such a dirty tackle from that cheat Agbonlahor on Diaby. Really dangerous play...

kamikaze80

Established Member
FrankArsenal said:
I have nothing add to that but I keep on wondering where the whole myth comes from that Diaby is weak mentally?
i think it comes from the fact that he's exactly the same player now that he was when he bought him (jan 2006?). likewise for players like denilson, song and eboue. when the chips are down, they crumble. eg, Sp**s, villa, any match where the opponent is within two goals of equalising..

theyre losers. by way of example, van persie is a winner. right foot is weak? he'll work on it and use it to score. taking too many touches compared to pires? then he'll try to add some efficiency to his game. i know most of you disagreed with me, but when he got that red card, i loved it because i could tell he was feeling the same way i was. but some of these losers in our squad, i'm not sure they give a damn.

DaGunners

Established Member
I am not convinced yet by Diaby, but I do think he has a lot of ability and should not be written off. I can count on one hand the amount of times he has played central midfield since his devastating injury. We need to be patient with him because this run in the team could be his making. Like I said, I'm not convinced but I am willing to be patient with him. There's just something about him that tells me he will be quality...

Anzac

Established Member
FrankArsenal said:
I'm not saying he's going to make it but the jury is still out on him, he needs to get a run of 15+ games not 3. And he's got al the natural attributes: Skill, technical, height. Someone work much more on stamina and understanding of the game. (Not saying you can train Fabs-vison, but you can sure learn a bit).

But unless he develops some killer defensive capabilities pretty damn quick, OR AW changes the formation, Diaby has only got the time while Cesc is out (or AW doesn't bring in another MC) to prove himself. Under normal circumstances he won't get to play a run of 15+ games for us as he's not a starting player on merit in his preferred role/s.

Anzac

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:

added for emphasis - IMO the current set up here means that he's going to be the offensive equivalent of Eboue = bench player/cover. Ramsey & Wilshere will both pass him for opportunities as soon as AW determines they are up to it, which if AW doesn't sign this window will be before the end of this season.

outlaw_member

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
i think it comes from the fact that he's exactly the same player now that he was when he bought him (jan 2006?). likewise for players like denilson, song and eboue. when the chips are down, they crumble. eg, Sp**s, villa, any match where the opponent is within two goals of equalising..

theyre losers. by way of example, van persie is a winner. right foot is weak? he'll work on it and use it to score. taking too many touches compared to pires? then he'll try to add some efficiency to his game. i know most of you disagreed with me, but when he got that red card, i loved it because i could tell he was feeling the same way i was. but some of these losers in our squad, i'm not sure they give a damn.

If you think that improving on your weaknesses is a sign of a winner, which is right of course. Than Diaby certainly is one, he too was one footed, yet he improved on his left foot and has now even scored goals with it.

I really think that by the end of the season, we will have a very good Diaby on our hands, or I hope so anyway. That's provided he doesn't get injured, which is probably inevitable. :evil:

patrick42uk

Established Member
DaGunner, one of the reasons I requested the 98 cup final from you was to refresh the memory on a young Vieira and make comparisons to Diaby. What I noticed was that, from a defensive point of view, it was very much a team effort. Vieira to me looked quite passive defensively, certainly more so than he grew to be. Petit and Parlour put a lot of work in. I wonder how that vieira would fare in this team.

I really believe Diaby can improve. Wenger is spot on in saying that in teerms of the natural qualities required, physically and technically, he has nothing to learn. The mental side, that extra edge required for cm, can be developed. I'm even hopeful now that he can build enough confidence in the cm position to be able to play next to Cesc when he returns. W

DaGunners

Established Member
Parlour really was fantastic in that game.

Do you remember that long hoof by Vieira in the first half? He over hit Anelka by a good bit but Anelka made up about 30 yards on Dabitas in a flash. The pace was scary...

the dawn raids

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
I'm even hopeful now that he can build enough confidence in the cm position to be able to play next to Cesc when he returns.

again, this is where the issue arises with him. being part of a two man midfield is just something hes not ready for because he doesnt release the ball nearly fast enough yet. the opposition would sure as **** sit back and wait for him to come into posession, disposess, and counter like there was no tomorrow. that isnt to say he cant grow into it still, but hes nowhere to the level required yet.

General

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
again, this is where the issue arises with him. being part of a two man midfield is just something hes not ready for because he doesnt release the ball nearly fast enough yet. the opposition would sure as s**t sit back and wait for him to come into posession, disposess, and counter like there was no tomorrow. that isnt to say he cant grow into it still, but hes nowhere to the level required yet.

I do not understand. Diaby has the ability to play one touch football in the middle of the park. This is exactly what he's been doing the past few games- keeping it simple and and surprisingly sticking to the defensive task. Sounds to me like the guilty by default comments already littered across this thread (without actually taking the time out to evaluate his performance in the past few games)

And he's also one of the hardest to dispossess amongst our current collection of midfielders. As people have already mentioned, he needs to improve the defensive and mental side of his game but the latter will come with maturity.

the dawn raids

Established Member
General said:
I do not understand. Diaby has the ability to play one touch football in the middle of the park. This is exactly what he's been doing the past few games- keeping it simple and and surprisingly sticking to the defensive task. Sounds to me like the guilty by default comments already littered across this thread (without actually taking the time out to evaluate his performance in the past few games)

And he's also one of the hardest to dispossess amongst our current collection of midfielders. As people have already mentioned, he needs to improve the defensive and mental side of his game but the latter will come with maturity.

i didnt say he doesnt have the ability, i said he doesnt posess that skillset in his game YET. a more advanced position (a free role like we saw at villa park) im all for where he has a bit of space and a larger margin for error. but not when hes one of the last lines protecting an already fragile defense.

and you even acknowledge his defensive game needs work yet you want him partnering cesc, being that last line? hes come on of late im not arguing that, but lets not jump the gun here.

hackajack

Established Member
General said:

I'm a fan of Diaby's but though he's had two reasonable games in CM I'm not convinced about his mobility, tackling or discipline for that position - particularly against tougher opposition.

General

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
General said:
i didnt say he doesnt have the ability, i said he doesnt posess that skillset in his game YET. a more advanced position (a free role like we saw at villa park) im all for where he has a bit of space and a larger margin for error. but not when hes one of the last lines protecting an already fragile defense.

and you even acknowledge his defensive game needs work yet you want him partnering cesc, being that last line? hes come on of late im not arguing that, but lets not jump the gun here.

No one is jumping the gun! Of course he can improve his game defensively but in comparison to Denilson, he's much less of a liability. We all would've taken a more disciplined player to partner Cesc at the onset of the season, but considering the options we've been left with, I'm prepared to advocate his cause.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom