• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alberto Zapater

Asterix

Established Member
Longrufus, i agree with you about height not equalling aerial ability, but I do think that if our team was largely all under 6 foot then it would not be good. It wouldn't send out overt messages of strength, and would make it harder at set pieces etc.

I do think that the best teams have a mix of physiques and playing styles.

Largely for other reasons, as outlined by kamikaze80, I think getting rid of Gilberto this summer would be extremely foolish, and terminal to our chances of success in 07/08.

longrufus

Established Member
Getting rid of Gilberto is sheer lunacy after the season he just had, he was one of few stand out performers who performed when it really mattered.

Collectively a team can be too small, but it is only a problem if there is a lack of ability (whether it be aerial or strength).

Would i drop Gilberto for someone like Essian, in a heartbeat.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Got this from Jaded in the lobby:

I just have a talk to a friend of mine who has a very strong connection with Zaragoza. I posted about Arsenal watched Zapater a month ago. And I can confirmed it now, that Arsenal is very very interested in bringing Alberto Zapater next season.

According to him, Arsenal have sent scout to several Zaragoza game throughout the year. And a week ago, an Arsenal rep has been seeing talking to one of his agent, Gines Carvajal after a match against Bilbao.

There's an interview with Zapater few days ago linking him to Arsenal:

Have you talked to Arsène Wenger?

No.

He's crazy for you . Arsenal has put a strong fight for you.

They might said that, but i don't know anything. I don't really take this thing seriously. But if its true, then you just have confirmed it for me. But i take it as nothing. I don't really think about this.

The links exist because of your 10 mil Euro release clause that invite teams to approach you.

They fear it may happen, but i already say i don't take this thing as an important thing.

Zaragoza has put a statement a day after NOTW put the story about us chasing Zapater. They made it very clear that Zapater is 'intransferable' and will not do any sort of negotiation for Zapater's exit.

But, from what i understand. Arsène Wenger will do everything to bring him to Arsenal, who will be the perfect partner for Cesc for years to come.

It will be super hard to convince him to come, as he's very happy at Zaragoza who has done superbly well this season. But if we managed to pull this off, i can assure you guys, it will be a sensational coup for us. I've seen him more than enough to say how good he is. He's 21, tough as nail, a superb tackler, reads the game very well, a compose passer, has very good range of passing. He has the built of Gattuso (i think he's taller), great upper body strength, fast and intelligent.

Mostarac

Established Member
Why are so few teams interested in Diego Milito? The guy is a true quality striker. Could it be something to do with his as far as I have read unsolved contractual situation with Genoa?

Legend#1

Established Member
Mostarac said:
Why are so few teams interested in Diego Milito? The guy is a true quality striker. Could it be something to do with his as far as I have read unsolved contractual situation with Genoa?

QFT.

Brilliant striker.

Grampus_Eight

Legend#1 said:
Mostarac said:

QFT.

Brilliant striker.

A big game striker too...

By the way, anyone know if there's anything to the Lorik Cana link from a while back?

Also, anyone want to compare Zapater to Cana? If anyone here watches a significant number of Zaragoza and L'OM games, I'd love to here their take on these two players.

Grampus_Eight

Grampus_Eight said:
Legend#1 said:
Mostarac said:

QFT.

Brilliant striker.

A big game striker too...

By the way, anyone know if there's anything to the Lorik Cana link from a while back?

Also, anyone want to compare Zapater to Cana? If anyone here watches a significant number of Zaragoza and L'OM games, I'd love to here their take on these two players.

Too big an ask for the scouting department?

Jaded

I only watched Lorik Cana one or twice before, so i'm in no ground to speak anything about him.

But this taken from the lobby:

arsenal1first said:
Cana impressive this years he's versatile he can play CB too physical presence good header he doesn't fear putting his foot in a battle he's a leader i really like him.price tag 10-15M euros but i don't think that he will go.

But from what i can gather from other forum site especially from l'OM fan, Cana is a very commanding player, great aerial player, tenacious tackler and a great leader in the middle of the park unfortunately some of them think he's very reckless, commits alot of fouls and has a long history of collecting silly yellow cards. Stats shows 42 yellow cards, 3 red cards in the last 4 years.

I've watched Alberto Zapater since his first debut for Zaragoza in Primera Liga 2 yrs ago. I try to watched as much Zaragoza games as I could, because the talent Zapater got astound me.

He has the built of Gattuso (in fact i think he's taller and bigger than the Italian beast), most of the time he would just wander around in front of the backline, but every single time any opposition steps into his half, he will call into duty. He's a great tackler, crazy upperbody strength (last game against Bilbao, there's a small example to highlight his strength, Yeste was pulling and kicking him, Zapater just go on with his business like the guy's not there).

His pace is not his noticeable attributes, but don't let that fool you, i yet to see any player can out pace this guy. He will just follow you around and make his trademark 'edge of penalty box' clean tackle. He reads game very well (perhaps not as good as Makalele or Gilberto, but he's 21 and can improve rapidly).

And he's very good player under pressure, i rarely see him make any silly passes, also he has a very good range of passing. Some of his passing game reminds me alot of Xabi Alonso. Its very accurate and rarely wasteful.

His stats shows 20 yellow cards, and 2 red cards in last 3 seasons. But i don't really take that seriously, both red cards came from 2 yellows. He's a clean player as far as i can remember.

Viper

Established Member
Jaded said:
I only watched Lorik Cana one or twice before, so i'm in no ground to speak anything about him.

arsenal1first said:
Cana impressive this years he's versatile he can play CB too physical presence good header he doesn't fear putting his foot in a battle he's a leader i really like him.price tag 10-15M euros but i don't think that he will go.

But from what i can gather from other forum site especially from l'OM fan, Cana is a very commanding player, great aerial player, tenacious tackler and a great leader in the middle of the park unfortunately some of them think he's very reckless, commits alot of fouls and has a long history of collecting silly yellow cards. Stats shows 42 yellow cards, 3 red cards in the last 4 years.

I've watched Alberto Zapater since his first debut for Zaragoza in Primera Liga 2 yrs ago. I try to watched as much Zaragoza games as I could, because the talent Zapater got astound me.

He has the built of Gattuso (in fact i think he's taller and bigger than the Italian beast), most of the time he would just wander around in front of the backline, but every single time any opposition steps into his half, he will call into duty. He's a great tackler, crazy upperbody strength (last game against Bilbao, there's a small example to highlight his strength, Yeste was pulling and kicking him, Zapater just go on with his business like the guy's not there).

His pace is not his noticeable attributes, but don't let that fool you, i yet to see any player can out pace this guy. He will just follow you around and make his trademark 'edge of penalty box' clean tackle. He reads game very well (perhaps not as good as Makalele or Gilberto, but he's 21 and can improve rapidly).

And he's very good player under pressure, i rarely see him make any silly passes, also he has a very good range of passing. Some of his passing game reminds me alot of Xabi Alonso. Its very accurate and rarely wasteful.

His stats shows 20 yellow cards, and 2 red cards in last 3 seasons. But i don't really take that seriously, both red cards came from 2 yellows. He's a clean player as far as i can remember.
Great summary mate.

Seems like a player worth signing.

Kenyonhater

Sounds like an ideal back up/replacement for Gilberto. We need someone with real commitment, drive and power in there. Our own Gattuso-type. I like the sound of him. One for the ladies, too!

Grampus_Eight

Jaded said:

arsenal1first said:

Thanks for the insightful summary. I was hoping for something just like that.

For me, one of the big holes in the squad remains an experienced DM who can step up if Gilberto goes down and also challenge long term for the DM spot. Right now - it would be nice to have a player with a good range and tackling ability to complement what we have.

Watching Mascherano at work, especially against Kaka was inspiring. We could use some of that here, but what team couldn't?

I will watch Zapater carefully today.

Not to discount your post at all, but Yeste isn't the hardest player to shrug off, is he?

Jaded

Perhaps i sumamarize that bit too much, what i meant is Yeste is pulling him and doing a Judo kick tackle to bring him down, Zapater just stood his ground and in fact capable of moving freely.

It doesn't really matter though, he is very strong player. A well disciplined volante who i believe would be a good acquisition for our team.

Important game at Seville, i won't able to see him in action though, i would be attending Salamanca match at Helmantico today.

henry79

Jaded said:

arsenal1first said:

I caught the second half of the sevilla vs zaragoza game tonight, why was zapater playing at left back and not his actual DM position surely the manager wouldnt have moved him if what your saying is right that he is really great DM.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
zapater played a left back probably because zaragoza are aware of other clubs interest in him and dont want to sell him, so they play him out of position...
imagine say for instance out scouts went to watch him...seeing him at left back would be a waste of time...smart move by their manager still!!!

Dez

Insane if they are playing for Champions league places, no manager would be that reckless.

ohboy!!!

Zapater played in the center of midfield yesterday.

In the second half, Zaragoza realized they were getting killed, so the manager took off Juanfran (who also had a knock) and put in Gerard Pique. So he switched to a 3-man defance with Diogo playing right wingback, and Zapater playing left wingback.

From what I saw yesterday (and in previous games) Zapater reading of the game is not bad, and he is a good tackler. He never gave away a pass yesterday.

But his mobility is a huge question mark. I thought that a few times when Sevilla broke quickly, Zapater was not getting into position quick enough. He almost has diaby's blasé running style. IF he could notch up his pace, he would do very well in England.

Rohit

Established Member
Yeah, he came across as a very lazy player (only on the basis on last nights game). He does have pace though, just that he doesn't run enough.

gstew

I watched the full Zaragoza/Sevilla game today specifically to view Zapater, but also to continue to check out Puerta, Navas, Adriano and Alves. Here are my observations:

Like Gilberto, Mascherano, Makelele and most other DMs, it is almost impossible to get an impression from just one game. This is especially because the camera is following the ball and so much of the dM position is about decisionmaking off the ball. So I got no impression of Zapater whatsoever. I think I would need to watch Zaragoza live at least five or six times before understanding the value of his game. It is so much easier to eveluate a DM that has more box-to-box characteristics like Senna of Villareal.

Now I have seen Sevilla play seven times this year and feel pretty comfortable evaluating their players in relation to whether they would be good fits for Arsenal:

Navas -- Too small for Premiership. Has Arsenal skill, but does not seem to have the toughness required to excel in England. I would have stated this regardless of the Reyes experience.

Puerta -- Doesn't seem to have any special characteristics that would allow him to compete with Rosicky and Hleb. I don't know why we were ever linked with him.

Adriano -- Talented, plays well, competes hard. Would prefer him to Navas and Puerta, but would still prefer Quaresma and Tuncay to him on the wing....but he could also provide cover for Clichy.

Alves -- Top, top talent. Runs all day and never seems to tire. First name on the Sevilla team sheet. I would definitely choose him ahead of Madrid's Cicinho. I truly hope that Liverpool does not buy him, as he is exactly what they need at RB.

Alexander Kerzhakov -- Every time I watch Sevilla play Kerzhakov jumps out at me. He makes smart runs and he finishes....a true striker. He reminds me of Kevin Phillips circa 2000 when he won the Golden Boot......run, turn, shoot, score. IMO, we should get Kerzhakov if he is available. He is exactly what we need.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom