• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Laca the Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
While studying him and trying to find his weak points I've come to look at this as well, which is why I'm not particularly impressed by the high conversation rate stuff. The guy knows how to put it in the back of the net, no doubt. But he actually only averages 2,8 shots pr. game. which is kind of low for the main man. In tight games where he won't have much space he'll find it hard to get shots from good positions, so it's interesting to see how he'll cope in those games - it's not like he doesn't have a good long shot and can't create for himself, he can, but whether he has it to the desired level is the question. If he can do that, we have a monster in our hands.
Podolski famously and infuriatingly suffered here even though his shooting was top notch. He was a 33 percent conversion rate finisher but he hardly ever took any shots at goal compared to even Giroud, who does get a fair few chances per game.

Lacazette is bolstered by the fact that he will be playing for a more offensively capable team with some creativity, so he can perhaps alter the way he plays slightly for us. I see 4 shots per game as a reasonable target for him. He is a smart and clean finisher and a clever mover off the ball. Alexis if he stays and Özil - he'll, Xhaka too - could have a good time picking out his runs, long or short.

Re: conversion rate, it's a decent gauge for how consistent a player is when it comes to finishing but on its own says nothing about the players ability to generate shots and how many he takes during a game. The benchmark for shots per game is Ronaldo because he shoots all the time.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Podolski famously and infuriatingly suffered here even though his shooting was top notch. He was a 33 percent conversion rate finisher but he hardly ever took any shots at goal compared to even Giroud, who does get a fair few chances per game.

Lacazette is bolstered by the fact that he will be playing for a more offensively capable team with some creativity, so he can perhaps alter the way he plays slightly for us. I see 4 shots per game as a reasonable target for him. He is a smart and clean finisher and a clever mover off the ball. Alexis if he stays and Özil - he'll, Xhaka too - could have a good time picking out his runs, long or short.

Re: conversion rate, it's a decent gauge for how consistent a player is when it comes to finishing but on its own says nothing about the players ability to generate shots and how many he takes during a game. The benchmark for shots per game is Ronaldo because he shoots all the time.

Yeah, Poldi was painfully average to create for himself. Giroud generates shots just because of his height at times - remember the Sp**s home game where Gibbs got us a point, Giroud came in late and got like 4-5 shots away in very little time. Good attribute to have.

I'd love 4 shots pr. game from him but I'd say it's a tad high put - although would be interesting to have this debate during the season and keep track. Even Alexis hasn't been able to average that many, and he shots aimlessly at times. While Laca, as he said in his interview, likes to set it up for a teammate if he's in a better position. It's very exciting altogether tbh, just hope we don't lose Alexis.

Ronaldo is a machine in that regard. Incredible how he still can maintain that level.

Some of you guys should stop overrating the BPL so much, acting like it's all prime maldini's and cannavaro's walking around here. So many joke defenses and defenders walking around here, sick of this bias.

Preach.

Premier League isn't this behemoth people pretend that it is when talking about a player that arrives from abroad. Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy were the two top goalscorers in the league in '16 for crying out loud.

MLK79

Elite Drama Queen
While studying him and trying to find his weak points I've come to look at this as well, which is why I'm not particularly impressed by the high conversation rate stuff. The guy knows how to put it in the back of the net, no doubt. But he actually only averages 2,8 shots pr. game. which is kind of low for the main man. In tight games where he won't have much space he'll find it hard to get shots from good positions, so it's interesting to see how he'll cope in those games - it's not like he doesn't have a good long shot and can't create for himself, he can, but whether he has it to the desired level is the question. If he can do that, we have a monster in our hands.
I saw your comment and decided to see if with some research, I could assuage your fears. I think I can.

When looking at his shots per game ratio of 2.8 it might look unconvincing against other players until you dig into the numbers. For this, I used some of the top strikers in the league and Sanchez. Those strikers were Kane, Costa and Lukaku.

The key to this analysis is where shots are being taken from. Also of note, is that only Kane played as little games as he did, 30 apiece. Sanchez - 38, Costa - 35 and Lukaku - 37. All those guys outside of Kane played 700+ more mins of football.

To begin, we know that shots from outside the box are low success shots. And this is where Lacazette stands apart from these other players, he limits himself taking shots like these.

First up, Sanchez. Lacazette took 45 less shots than Alexis (83) but only 6 less shots from inside the box. Alexis took 51 shots from outside the box and only converted on 3 of them. Yes, terrible. That's a conversion rate of 6% in comparison to Lacazette's 17% on 2 goals from 12 from outside the box.

Up next is Costa. He took 111 shots total and 20 of those were from outside the box. He scored 2 of them for a conversion rate of 10%. Not bad.

Next up is Kane. He took 110 shots in total and 42 of those came from outside the box. He did convert 5 of those at a 12% conversion rate. Pretty good from him.

And lastly is Lukaku. He took 110 shots and 30 of those were from outside the box. He only scored one of those. That's a 3% conversion rate. Frankly, it's terrible but should be expected from such low percentage shots.

Once we switch over to per game averages, Lacazette actually averages 2.37 shots per game from inside the box. Only Costa who averaged 2.6 while playing 5 games more did better than him. Sanchez is the worst of the bunch averaging just 2.03.

To conclude, when push comes to shove in a tight game, only Costa averages more shots per game from inside the box. What makes Lacazette good is that he converts 35% of his shots inside the box per game average. Only Kane betters him at 35.24%. Costa comes in at 19.61%, Lukaku at 30.1% and Sanchez at 27.1%. Essentially, guys like Sanchez, Kane and Lukaku spend too much time trying to score wonder goals from outside the box. And that's why their shots per game average is so much greater than a player like Lacazette.

FinnGooner

Established Member
W

WHat does xg per 90 min stand for?

Expected goals per 90 minutes. It's a statistics model in which shots from different areas of the pitch are given goal probablility factors and then a total probability for a goal occurring is given based on which positions the player/team has attempted a shot.

Goon-Ger

I must admit i didn't realise Lacazette's stats were as good as they are. It's still an awful lot of money to pay so let's hope he hits the ground running. Is he good enough to replace Sanchez? Time will tell.

I'd love it..... absolutely love it if we started next season with both of them.

Likemusic

I must admit i didn't realise Lacazette's stats were as good as they are. It's still an awful lot of money to pay so let's hope he hits the ground running. Is he good enough to replace Sanchez? Time will tell.

I'd love it..... absolutely love it if we started next season with both of them.
Lacazette is not here to replace Sanchez since they are very different type of players. Lacazette is not those type of player who can do amazing tricks, his function is very limited, and only serve the purpose of making runs and finishing.
By the way, if Sanchez leave, Mahrez is not a bad replacement.

Last edited:

Lilwizzle

Established Member
Giroud reading AM fans thinking this guy is gonna bench him

BasicGlamorousAnteater.gif

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!

Because all the bad stats are filtered out.

His assists stats is close to that of Walcott.

His runs, dribblings also very little.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I know what he's talking about. He basically believes Lacazette's performances shouldn't be taken seriously because according to him, he's playing in an inferior league, so his attributes like good finishing or his general play is not going to be as effective in the PL because the opposition is better. I'm still calling bull on that.
that's not how i read it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom