• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Analysis of which striker to bring in now

turtle

I have been in this forum for a long time just reading and not make a post. But now I want to give my view on this.

We have heard a lot of shout for a new striker in the january transfer windows and we are going to have a shortage in the forward position. I tried to look at them in sensible way and here is what I thought.

Kluivert

He is the most talkabout in this forum. He is a world class striker, the transfer fee for him is believed to be between 1M to 3M at most. He has proven himself in Serie A and La Liga. However, he has not proven himself in EPL, and will he adapt right away here, this is a big question mark.

Looking at the striker we got recently from other leagues.
Suker is a proven world class striker coming from Real, he scored for us but not a big hit.
Henry had a tough time settling with EPL and the striker position as we all know before he became the Henry he is now.
Wiltord did not really lived up to that price tag for the first season too.

So will Kluivert be good here right away to solve everything, I have doubts even though he is a proven world class striker.

Looking at Kluivert's form at the moment, he hasn't been scoring for Barcelone, will he started scoring in EPL, I don't know. He is more of a finesse player. The only type of striker who fit in right away in EPL are powerful striker like RvN and Crespo.

Another problem with him is his big wage bill. he may want a 60k to 80k per week. That would be more than 1M pound for the rest of the season. The reason he is so cheap is because he is having a problem with Barcelona. Wiltord had a problem with his previous club so we can sign him and now he may go for free at the end of the season. We had an Anelka problem already. Kluivert is fighting with RvN and Makaay for a striker position at the Holland squad, he will not stick around like Kany if he is not playing regularly and the wage we will be paying for him is down the drain. Plus, he will block the promising youth from coming up. This is a big risk for us that we are unlikely to take.

Will he be here in the summer, I don't know. Depends on who is available in the summer and the price.

Eto'o and Reyes

They are young and haven't played for a big club before and they command a high transfer fee. They will be a big risk for us now to take their wage for the rest of the season even if their wage is way lower than Kluivert. They look more like summer target than now.

Kezman

PSV have a habit of asking for more than market value. He is older than the players listed above and he is not proven in a top league too. He may be good, but not worth the risk now or in summer.

Alan Smith

Now take a look in EPL. People have mentioned his name in this forum but I don't think he is available. He is proven in EPL and is doing well except for little card problem but he is not available now Leeds got financial backing. They need to keep the players they have to fight for survival, they need to stay up to save themself. Relegation will spell doom for them because which billionaire will want to buy a club in division one. They need to stay in EPL and they need him, why would they sell him to get a few millions if they are going to lose more if they relegate. He is a risk that we may take but not definitely Leeds can take.

Other players in EPL

Players I can think of are either not available, too expensive or not good enough to play for Arsenal.

So who should we bring in?

I said no to them so somebody must be in my list and they are:
Bentley, Papadopulos, Thomas or even Owusu-Abeyie and Ryan Smith.

We are lucky we will not play any big team when Bergkamp, Kanu, Wiltord and Aliadiere are out. We should win those match whether we have Bentley as our forward or Kluivert as our forward.

We are in a situation that we must calculate every risk and their return. We don't want to end up like Leeds so we must be safe in this period of time and not get over passionate. It's a good thing we have intelligent Wenger as our manager and I can see why he will not spend now.

Here is my view and hope it make sense to other people. Sorry for the long post :eek:ops:

zerofeel

the most clearcut prospects in my view are Kluivert and E'too but Wenger has reiterated his desire not to bring in any new players cos he believes that he has a few promising youths he wants to try out...so tats good for us...but in the long run its still anyones guess who he will bring in in the summer...could be HENRIK LARSSON as well...... for all we know... :shock:

jc8gooner

Wiltord and Bergkamp are due back against Villa, so it is not too much of a crisis, but the likelihood is that we might get to see David Bentley get on the bench a bit more regaulrly in the coming weeks. In the Carling Cup, I suppose it'll be Wiltord and A.N. Other up front, either Bentley or Papadopulos. However, I would like to see Quincy at some point, who has bags of talent.

turtle

Yeah, we got enough forwards to deal with the coming games even if Wiltord and Bergkamp is not back into game fitness after they recover.

I just want to state that we don't need new player before people start shouting "bring in Kluivert now" even though I respect their passion for the club. We do have a lot of prospect that we can take a look at first. Bentley has started a few games already so he is more likely to start, but I would really like to see more of Papadopulos and Quincy too, like you said, has bags of talent I agree.

lewdikris

Established Member
Bentley for next week if Dennis and Sylv aren't back and Kanu has to go- and at least on the bench. This injury crisis ain't all that ... not worth buying for a possible problem in one game - and we can always stick Ray on the right wing, Freddie on the left and Bobby up front for a game....

The Mini

jc8gooner said:
I would like to see Quincy at some point, who has bags of talent.

I agree but he still very young, he we a sub in the last game of the reserve season, last of the season games are renouned for inexpierience, we dont want a player not really teseted for the reserves playing first team yet

wiltord11

yeh i would like to see quincy play again in the carling cup he played great against rotherham he was on the bench for th wolves game proberly would of came on if hoyte never got injured
but quincy looks good and he only 16/17 :D

lewdikris

Established Member
I have a feeling if Quincey was put in a EPL game now he would do ten times as many unnecessary stepovers as Fake Ronaldo has ever dreamed of. He likes a bit of jiggling does our Quincey MD...

Lord Dula

Established Member
Turtle "Eto'o and Reyes

They are young and haven't played for a big club before"

I think Eto'o was at Real, but I may be wrong.

zerofeel

quincy is not ready for 1st team action just yet...bentley although showed pockets of his talents when we met WBA,will find the step to 1st team action too tough for him...hes too scrawny n might get injured easily if wenger rush him too fast into action...and knowin wenger,he will probably play henry and kanu if kanu is allowed to extend his stay at arsenal until after the villa game...bergkamp will stand by at the bench comin back from injury...wiltord?? well he will be in the stands glancing around taking in all the nostalgia before we kick his ass outta highbury for good...hahaha :p just kidding guys

titi

The simple solution is to bring Jeffers back. He is not playing at everton so bringing him back and playing a few games until everyone is fit would not be too much of a problem. I'm mainly talking about the carling cup games where henry won't play and the other 3 strikers are injured.

SF Gooner

From what I have been reading, it seems as if Wenger wants to get Angel from Villa but they are asking too much for him. 20 Million pounds last I heard and I don't think Arsène would pa more than 8 million. We'll see if Angel puts in a transfer request. If he doesn't get him then you can be sure that Wenger will go after him in the summer time.

Adam

Established Member
Chelski player- there are issues with Dein doing business with Bates.

Quincy has a supposed attitude problem. He is very lazy but has bags of talent. Ajax didn't offer him a new contract, they let him go.

If Bentley is as good as what is said - then we shouldn't have to bring somebody in. He is 19, and should be 6th choice striker. Wenger already stated that he does not plan to bring somebody in because of these attacking talents. Remember there is also Jerome Thomas who has impressed.

We need to face reality - it is certain that nobody will need to be brought in especially when our wingers could easily be perceived as forwards. It's all fallacy.

Sammer

Established Member
ruud said:
can i make a suggestion?
Mikael Forsell?

Now you got it right, ruud ! Well said.

I have watched every game when Forssell was on loan at Borussia Moenchengladbach in spring/summer 2003.

Forssell would be the perfect striker-partner for Henry. His style would match perfectly - he is good in the box-area, can hold up the ball, dribble really well and he is technically quite versatile.

Give Forssell a real shot at a good club and he will be a top-class striker.

He should be affordable, too.

Damn, Arsène - why don´t you think about this option.

A

Anonymous

Sammer said:
ruud said:
can i make a suggestion?
Mikael Forsell?

Now you got it right, ruud ! Well said.

I have watched every game when Forssell was on loan at Borussia Moenchengladbach in spring/summer 2003.

Forssell would be the perfect striker-partner for Henry. His style would match perfectly - he is good in the box-area, can hold up the ball, dribble really well and he is technically quite versatile.

Give Forssell a real shot at a good club and he will be a top-class striker.

He should be affordable, too.

Damn, Arsène - why don´t you think about this option.

He didnt get a kick when he played against us.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

• A_G
Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom