• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal going Latino

r_blair2

Arsenal seem to be looking at players from Spain and Portugul recently. Already three members of the current squad have been snatched up from Spain - Reyes, Cesc and Almunia

Will we look to that area of the world for a Vieira replacement?? If rumours are correct then Porto's Manchie is top of the list. Also been said are Valencia's Baraja and also Xavi Alonso.

What's your views on the up and coming players emerging out of Spain/Portugal?

patrick42uk

Established Member
well we'v tried the power and pace thing in europe for the last couple of years and it has brought us no success. now we are possibly shifting towards technique and flair, which i feel personally is the way to succeed in europe.

Sigun

arsenal already have speed and technique but i know what ya mean.... i think.

lewdikris

Established Member
It's preparing for the future. Wiltord's gone, Paddy will probably follow, and Bobby can't have many season's left. The French generation's ending and a new one's beginning.

Good work Arsène.

calvinngai88

I personally think Wenger's trying to get many players from different countries. Maybe a mix blend will do well instead of keeping the old french generation. Not only is he making Arsenal going Latino, he might even turn it to African-ish (Kolo, Eboue, Ne from Ivory Coast, Trabelsi from Tunisia, Fathi from Egypt - all are African countries). :)

lee1001

Established Member
France, Spain and Holland produce the best talent thats why we are buying players from these countries. Brazil also produce great talent but there are visa issues causing problems.

Africa is also somewhere Wenger is looking. There is a good thread about that somewhere in the thread list, check it out. I think it missed a few people.

enigma

He's buying them because they're good. Anyone who thinks it's more than that is probably a bit nuts.

lee1001

Established Member
enigma said:
He's buying them because they're good. Anyone who thinks it's more than that is probably a bit nuts.

Wow, that was a hard one to figure out, afterall he aint gonna buy a crap player

lee1001

Established Member
vin de guerre said:
lee1001 said:
enigma said:

Wow, that was a hard one to figure out, afterall he aint gonna buy a crap player

He did buy Jeffers!

Yeah, but Wenger didn't sign him because he was crap, he signed him because he thought he had potential.

Mark

Established Member
I think a blend of African and Spanish players would give us a lot of energy, pace and flair we need. Good to see Wenger acknowledging that his previous methods haven't worked and he needs to try something else.

In regard to our latino midfield replacement for Paddy. Xabi Alonso would be my first choice miles ahead of Maniche.

lee1001

Established Member
EVeyrone is going on about Alonso.

What's he like??

Is he Pyschically capable of dominating a midfield?
Is he quick and a good tackler?
Creative? Good passer??

Weakerthan

Well, nobody's going to match Vieira's physicality and swiftness to go start a superb counter-attack but they are a few who could do a similar job. Xabi Alonso is good, although he was plain ****e last season, as was all of Real Sociedad. He would be interesting though. He's 6" and quite bulked. Wenger could do well with him since he has bags of technique, a great ground pass (essential with this club's style of play) and a really good long shot. If Wenger can recreate the form he had with Sociedad in the 02/03 season, or better on it, it would be amazing for the club, since he has the potential to prosper. He's MILES more suited to the position than Maniche. To stay on topic, err, he's Spanish.

enigma

Pah. Why look for a replacement when we've got one already?
If you ask me, Flamini would do a superb job given the chance.
At his age and with his potential, he could end up a better player than Paddy was.

Alexone234

Maniche, one championship and one good goal and he is on everyones want list.

Even if the figure of £23m is accurate, I would rather we bought a 25yr old who had played in that position for a couple of years at a top level.

enigma

If you're talking about bringing someone in from outside then I think we wasted a glorious chance already. Cambiasso would of been a great signing.
Heh, too bad he's at Internazionale getting his carreer ruined.

AFCG7

Established Member
Thing is.. even if we did want Maniche.. would Porto sell him..they already made a killin so far.. Fereira 13 million Carvalho 19 million and Deco too.. They dont need money..they could easily refuse to sell him.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
Thing is.. even if we did want Maniche.. would Porto sell him..they already made a killin so far.. Fereira 13 million Carvalho 19 million and Deco too.. They dont need money..they could easily refuse to sell him.

Soon Porto are going to be richer then Chelsea! Just coz Porto have sold their best players, it doesn't mean they won't be a force to be reckoned with this season. After all they have signed Quaresma, Diego and Seitaridis amongst others.

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom