• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal in for Van

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 233
  • Views 7,293

Adam

Established Member
Are you sure this £20Million is a definite figure? I thought it might be euro's.

If Wenger saves up £20Million, and the sales of Gio, Jeffers and Volz overall generate £5-10Million - then anything is do-able.

JazzG

Established Member
Yeah Johnson was the only name that came to my mind, I forgot they had bought Veron! Geremi hasn't been that good either, cost like £6mill.

Johnson is definitely one for the future, he looks a solid player. No way is he ready for the big time yet. £6mill is a lot of money for him, maybe he will live upto it, I don't know. To pay that kind of money for a player who wasn't rated that highly and not proven is insane though.

Duff has been awesome for them, I always thought he looked such a good player coz the team he played in is average but he proved me wrong. He can only play left wing though, they tried to play him in the whole behind the striker and he hasn't done too well there. Bloody good on the wing though!

JazzG

Established Member
Adam said:
Are you sure this £20Million is a definite figure? I thought it might be euro's.

If Wenger saves up £20Million, and the sales of Gio, Jeffers and Volz overall generate £5-10Million - then anything is do-able.

It could be tbh, some sites say euros some say pounds. Probably euros though as these stories are coming from spain. 20mill euros = £13.8mill. That would be a good deal, then again so would £20mill !

Adam

Established Member
They spent £100Million and bought 3 current world class performers - Makalele ( who is very good but not world class in England) Crespo (not being played!) and Duff who has been a bright spark so far, but not as bright as Pires and Scholes have been for Arsenal and Man Utd.

Since none of these players are showing their world class ability - they are currently playing no better than their team last year.

lewdikris

Established Member
Well, they're one position better off than last year, so things have improved a bit.

Just a shame us and Man U have become even more relentlessly consistent - which is down to experience, not money.

Adam

Established Member
JazzG said:
Adam said:

It could be tbh, some sites say euros some say pounds. Probably euros though as these stories are coming from spain. 20mill euros = £13.8mill. That would be a good deal, then again so would £20mill !

So it won't just buy his shoes?!

Excellent. I think Reyes for £13Million is about right considering he is 70 percent ability and 30 percent potential at the moment. He still has a bit to prove and cannot command a 20Million plus figure.

He is one of Spains brightest young star - brighter than Torres - yes, but Joaquin? That's unclear.

patrick42uk

Established Member
JazzG said:
I think our RvP bid actually means 2 things. First Wenger rates him and wouldn't mind him at this club, 2nd to let Sevilla know that Reyes isn't their only option and if they don't hurry up we will go for RvP instead. Thus putting pressure on them, we might of made a good bid so they will know they will have to act quickly to get that money.

the RVP bid means one thing, wenger wants RVP, end of. Wenger can be very prudent. he wouldnt waste any amount on a player he 'wouldnt mind at the club'. Wenger would rate the player a lot more highly than that if he was going to spend a certain figure on him. Wenger, i'm sure, didnt want the RVP bid to be public at least not till the player signed. so how would sevilla had known we were negotiating for a similar player? With all the KLuivert, reyes rumours flying about, the only certainty seems to be that we made a bid for RVP.

lewdikris

Established Member
Quite possibly true - though it is a fact that Dein was in Seville this weekend, and seems to be a fact he had face to face talks with Sevilla's president...

Adam

Established Member
"Dein is on holiday" - Wenger.

Turns out his Dein's holiday may just have been in Seville, and the kids and wife sure as hell didn't go with him....

patrick42uk

Established Member
can it be possible that we are trying to buy RVP and reyes, surely not? they are both young, both similar. what would that mean for our so hyped up youngsters as well? And isnt this the same arsenal that a month ago was praying for miracles from santa clause to buy a player? Now we are making bids amounting up to 20 million

lewdikris

Established Member
No. i don't think it's remotely possible we're going for both.

I'm 60% percent confident however we'll get one of the two in the next week...

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
the RVP bid means one thing, wenger wants RVP, end of. Wenger can be very prudent. he wouldnt waste any amount on a player he 'wouldnt mind at the club'. Wenger would rate the player a lot more highly than that if he was going to spend a certain figure on him. Wenger, i'm sure, didnt want the RVP bid to be public at least not till the player signed. so how would sevilla had known we were negotiating for a similar player? With all the KLuivert, reyes rumours flying about, the only certainty seems to be that we made a bid for RVP.

I don't know about that, he could of told them he has made a bid as well. Why would we go for 2 very similar players at the same time? You might be right for all I know but I ain't so sure.

Dein has been in talks with Sevilla, Wenger isn't the type to say "oh he has gone for a quick chat with Sevilla's people" so he has said he is on holiday. He probably having a holiday and having a chat with them.

So that kinda definitely means we have been in talks over both. I'd like to believe we are getting both but I'm 90% sure that isn't the case.

patrick42uk said:
can it be possible that we are trying to buy RVP and reyes, surely not? they are both young, both similar. what would that mean for our so hyped up youngsters as well? And isnt this the same arsenal that a month ago was praying for miracles from santa clause to buy a player? Now we are making bids amounting up to 20 million

This same Wenger then said we had £10mill to spend and he hoped to get 20mill in the summer. Don't ever believe what he says in public, he will always twist the truth to get the media off his back

patrick42uk

Established Member
how big a part do you guys think man utd signing saha has played in wenger changing (or at least making a concession) in his stance of not signing someone in january?

lewdikris

Established Member
He'd never admit it, but he must have at least considered it.

Man U and Arsenal have scored and conceded at pretty much the same rate all year. There's sooo little to divide the two sides in terms of quality..

But Saha MIGHT, and it's a big might, spur them on to new heights - in which case we need to be able to match them. With an unfit strike force, that could be more tricky.

But who knows...

laolu

patrick42uk said:
how big a part do you guys think man utd signing saha has played in wenger changing (or at least making a concession) in his stance of not signing someone in january?

it is the defining factor coupled with the fact that wiltord's recovery is quite some time away, aliadiere is still far from a recovery, kanu is with nigeria and henry needs a rest.

he needs a new striker. simple.

Mark

Established Member
van persie would be a good signing, one thing that would be useful is someone to take our free kicks on the right, since henry takes them better on the left.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

He probably had a few names in mind but after seeing Saha move I think he knows that his main rivals now have 2 good strikers upfront. Bergkamp/Wiltord/Kanu are all as good if not better than Saha on their day but the problem is they ain't consistant enough. Wenger knows we probably won't win the title with only striker, even if his name is Henry. Thankfully our midfield has chipped in with goals otherwise we would be really ****ed.

We need to bring someone in, I hope it is Reyes but I'm pretty sure he won't come. I've good things about RvP so I'd be happy with him as well.

Mark

Established Member
it's true i don't think bergkamp, kanu and wiltord can really do a job for us, especially wiltord who just doesn't give a sh*t, bergkamp might not be able to handle too many games at his age and kanu isn't really the player he used to be either, and i don't know how long ali is out for, but he still needs to improve. loaning him somewhere might be a good idea, although not if it's another one of those loans that leads to the player being sold. i intend on watching dutch football tonight on channel 5 as they are showing feyenoord so i hope to see van persie. i think he'd be the best option as he is arguably as good as reyes and available for much cheaper.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom