• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2023

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
When it comes down to the first game of the season there will be more continuity than people think. Arteta will still try things in the community shield.

Martinelli-----Trossard------Saka
------------Havertz--------Ødegaard
-----------------------Partey
--Timber----Gabriel-Saliba---White
--------------------Ramsdale

Two changes. Everyone else knows the game model back to front.

Awfull decision to play Timber as a LB he isnt i already mentioned a few times just because he is capable of cutting in the middle like Zinchenko does doesnt mean he is suited for a left back role.

I also would start Rice and Partey against City and drop Havertz.

Ofcourse not to criticise you but you are right with those eleven we will start most likely.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I really liked the Rice signing, but the hype and expectations the forum put on the signing kinda dampened it for me a bit.

Without Partey, I think the season ambitions are capped at a 4th placed finish at best anyways.

Rice needs to learn the ropes and him being blown away by the training was quite telling to me.
Not gonna say anything until the actual season but there are interesting observations.

Tbf it wasn’t just this forum though everywhere you looked it was the same, I still think it was mostly English hype.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Was @BigPoppaPump right to be worried about Arsenal's midfield? Like everyone was so happy to get rid of Partey and Xhaka not that long ago.

I agree some have been keen to get rid of them for a few summers but I wouldn’t say everyone tbf. You’d be a fool or have a hidden agenda if you wanted Xhaka to leave after last season (17 G/A in all comps).

Personally I wasn’t that invested in either Havertz or Rice as I was skeptical whether both significantly improve us whereas Timber does.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Awfull decision to play Timber as a LB he isnt i already mentioned a few times just because he is capable of cutting in the middle like Zinchenko does doesnt mean he is suited for a left back role.

I also would start Rice and Partey against City and drop Havertz.

Ofcourse not to criticise you but you are right with those eleven we will start most likely.
I don't think Rice is fit. Timber is better on the ball than Tomi and offers more defensive solidity than Zini. He keeps getting played there. He will probably start there vs Forest.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This pre season reminds me of when I used to play FM and I had a very good season and then make bunch of mistake in the transfer window and before the new season start I realised I don’t like what I done. So I quit the game without saving and go back to end of May and buy differently

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
This pre season reminds me of when I used to play FM and I had a very good season and then make bunch of mistake in the transfer window and before the new season start I realised I don’t like what I done. So I quit the game without saving and go back to end of May and buy differently
Damn it. I know exactly what you mean. Let's hope Arteta hasn't emulated this.

djpeat

Pre season means nothing really. Look at results for everybody its all over the place.
A starting eleven vs city of
Rams
White saliba gab timber
Saka øde Partey rice martinelli
Trossard
Can get it done. I believe we saved who we are untill this game👌

lomekian

Essays are my thing
As an experiment I set up the same transfers on a new FM game starting July 2023. Havertz in a more advanced version of the Xhaka role is a beast on the game..

9jagooner

Pre season means nothing really. Look at results for everybody its all over the place.
A starting eleven vs city of
Rams
White saliba gab timber
Saka øde Partey rice martinelli
Trossard
Can get it done. I believe we saved who we are untill this game👌
I don't agree.

Preseason games, especially the ones played closer to when the season starts (vs Barca and vs Monaco for us), go a long way in showing if you are ready for the season especially in our case where our engine room is yet to be decided. We will potentially start two new players in key positions - left back and midfield (in place of Zinchenko and Xhaka). When we look at how poor we were last season whenever these players were not available, we should be worried about our next two three games.

Add that to Jesus not available for those games.

I think the results will be based on the opposition's performance rather than our own good performance

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Arteta should pick the best performing 11. And the best performing/most talented 11 we have on paper at this moment are -

Ramsdale (Raya could change this)
White
Saliba
Gabriel
Timber
Partey
Havertz
Ødegaard
Saka
Trossard
Martinelli

That’s a fact. White is a trusted soldier as is Partey. Only potential change will be Eddie for Trossard.

IrishGooner93

I'd start Partey and Rice again and even though I like Trossard a lot and don't want to see Kai back at 9 in general , I'd still play Havertz up front.
Reason why is any team with trossard or nketiah at 9 is what we've done before against them and failed. Havertz was signed to give us more variation, aerial presence and enable us to go longer and bypass the press.
City suffocated us in the 2nd half of the emirates and in the etihaf with their pressing. Timber and Rice ball carrying and Havertz as a forward target might help with this. Worth a shot anyways.

djpeat

I don't agree.

Preseason games, especially the ones played closer to when the season starts (vs Barca and vs Monaco for us), go a long way in showing if you are ready for the season especially in our case where our engine room is yet to be decided. We will potentially start two new players in key positions - left back and midfield (in place of Zinchenko and Xhaka). When we look at how poor we were last season whenever these players were not available, we should be worried about our next two three games.

Add that to Jesus not available for those games.

I think the results will be based on the opposition's performance rather than our own good performance
Just look at the results in the games between. Us manu Barca an real m
There is little value to take result wise from those games imo

djpeat

I'd start Partey and Rice again and even though I like Trossard a lot and don't want to see Kai back at 9 in general , I'd still play Havertz up front.
Reason why is any team with trossard or nketiah at 9 is what we've done before against them and failed. Havertz was signed to give us more variation, aerial presence and enable us to go longer and bypass the press.
City suffocated us in the 2nd half of the emirates and in the etihaf with their pressing. Timber and Rice ball carrying and Havertz as a forward target might help with this. Worth a shot anyways.
Trossard deserves a start up front. The added intensity and pace is needed.

djpeat

Trossard deserves to start upfront we need his intensity and tempo. Hes prob our most ready offensive player

9jagooner

Just look at the results in the games between. Us manu Barca an real m
There is little value to take result wise from those games imo
Results wise, yes but I'm more focused on the game play itself. I didn't see any game in pre-season that I can say showed an improvement on last season. Not on any section of the field (defence, midfield, attack).
If anything, we looked worse than last season.
We're still relying on Saka upfront, we're broken in midfield and Arteta is yet to make up his mind on who will play in defence.

I am hoping that two or three games before Nottingham forest should sort us out. Games where he can play his preferred first team (obviously without Zinchenko and Jesus). This is why I said earlier that I don't think we're prepared for the season.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Results wise, yes but I'm more focused on the game play itself. I didn't see any game in pre-season that I can say showed an improvement on last season. Not on any section of the field (defence, midfield, attack).
We're still relying on Saka upfront, we're broken in midfield and Arteta is yet to make up his mind on who will play in defence.

I am hoping that two or three games before Nottingham forest should sort us out. Games where he can play his preferred first team (obviously without Zinchenko and Jesus). This is why I said earlier that I don't think we're prepared for the season.

Remember as well, we are building new playing combinations on the field. It is expected that we look disjointed because we are adding unpredictability to our setup.

Almost all our combinations from last season remain, with only Xhaka having departed. So expect those related patterns to show up again during this coming season, particularly the earlier part.

What we have seen in pre-season is what's currently being worked on for later on in the season. Then we should see a little more cohesion there.

Legend14

Established Member

We are not prepared to overrun the beginning of the season like last year, but we are much better prepared for the grind of cup competitions and a long league season.

What other teams are better prepared? I think we need to stay near the top and allow our consistency take over.

9jagooner

We are not prepared to overrun the beginning of the season like last year, but we are much better prepared for the grind of cup competitions and a long league season.

What other teams are better prepared? I think we need to stay near the top and allow our consistency take over.
It seems to me that teams like United and Chelsea are better prepared.
Again for me, it isn't about the results,it's the number of games played to bed your new signings in. We still need an extra game or two preseason games to let Arteta know his first eleven. At the moment, we're going to be chopping and changing over the next 3 to 4 premier league games and with points at stake, we'll just have to hope other teams are poorer

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom