• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Liverpool - Wednesday April 2, 7.45pm CL

RC8

Established Member
liverpoolarsenalclev8.jpg

I'm busy as hell, so I won't be able to write a more detailed match thread.

Needless to say, this game is huge. It's all unpredictable, really. We face Liverpool at home 2 times in a row and then face them at Anfield straight away. They recently won against Everton, pretty much securing 4th spot. Meanwhile, we came back at the Reebok to get a well deserved victory in the last minute and with 10 men.

A prediction for this game? I have no idea.

A prediction for this weekend's game? It depends on this game.

A prediction for the return leg? It depends on both of the previous games.

We'll know where we stand after the first leg is done. Don't forget Liverpool are monsters in Europe. It's a good thing this season and 2 seasons ago it has been a characteristic of our team as well as theirs.

Before kick-off, there is going to be Rocky Rocastle remembrance ceremony, where our supporters are expected to sing the old Rocky Rocky Rocky song. If you are going to the game, make sure you are out there at least 15 minutes before kick off. Never forgotten.

rocky-rocastle.jpg

Zico

Established Member
RC8, don't worry about all the details. You guys spoil us silly.

On to the game: my only fear at this juncture is that Liverpool are now in no-man's land. They're well ahead of Everton and well behind Arsenal, so they have little to play for in the league. Having beaten Everton yesterday, I fully expect Benitez to neglect the leauge match and focus his charges on the two Champs League games.

The keys will be how Flamini tracks Gerrard, and how our central defenders perform against Torres. I am confident that Sagna will babysit Babel.

On the offensive front, Fabregas-Mascherano will be a battle for the ages.

Finally, given our lack of depth at Attacking Midfielder, I would not be surprised to see Wenger employ a 4 4 2.

Dez

I'd like to see Walcott start by Im expecting a 4-5-1 start which can easily move to a 4-4-2

So this Line Up: Almunia, Toure, Gallas, Senderos, Clichy, Hleb, Cesc, Flamini, Diaby, RVP, Adebayor...

With RVP out the left, regardless hoping for a good win at home, cleansheet is necessary.

Wokich

I cannot believe I'm saying it, but I think that Theo's made it. He should start instead of Diaby.

Theo's done great as the energy off the bench for the last 30 minutes. It's time to see if Theo can go 90.

Also, I think that Toure should start in the middle with Gallas on the wing for two reasons. First, Toure's looked better in 1 on 1 defensive situations. Second, Gallas has a knack for finding the far post on a cross and he'll have more freedom to do that out wide.

This probably won't happen, because it would be tantamount to Wenger admitting that Toure should have been made Captain.

My lineup
Aluminia
Gallas-Toure-Senderos-Clichy
Walcott-Flamini-Fabregas-Helb
--Adebayor--RVP----

This is the first time I've typed Adebayor and RVP up front in awhile. :)

Zico

Established Member
dutchMasta said:
quincy42 said:
I am confident that Sagna will babysit Babel.
He's out for all 3 games isn't he? Huge miss.

My mind was on holiday. You're right. Well, hopefully Eboue can be disciplined and show us some of that April 06 form.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Will be in France for a few days, could any French gunners tell me what channel the match will be on?

Edit: Looks to be TF1, can anyone comfirm this?

Lancelot

Established Member
My lineup:

Almunia
Eboue Gallas Senderos Clichy
Walcott Flamini Fabregas Hleb
Adebayor RvP

Expected lineup from Wenger:

Almunia
Toure Gallas Senderos Clichy
Eboue Flamini Hleb Fabregas RvP
Adebayor

ibby

Established Member
Theo shouldn't start, let him come on and cause havoc.

And Banduan, you are forgetting Baptista :x

Juicy

You know it's not a good time to play Liverpool in the Champions League when the Ebel fastest goal of the month award goes to your right back with a goal in 57 minutes 56 seconds from a header off a corner. I'm looking forward to the game though.

Lancelot

Established Member
ibby said:
The reason I put him there as a starter is simply because we will be playing at home first and I rate an opening goal in the first half highly, especially when it involves us.

I'm more than confident that we are able to control the game with ease if we manage to get that all important lead.

stuart

Established Member
Absolutely no idea how this ones gonna turn out so im not even gonna try and predict a score. Beating Liverpool will give the lads confidence that they can win this competition. It's a massive game. If we can knock them out of the CL and beat them in the league it should have us on a high for the rest of the season. That said, i think it's unlikey we'll beat them in both.

Gutted about Sagna being injured for such crucial games. He's solid as a rock and with Liverpool being poor down the wings, whoever the threw on would have got nothing on him. I can see someone like Babel giving our makeshift right back a hard time.

ibby

Established Member
Lancelot said:
ibby said:
The reason I put him there as a starter is simply because we will be playing at home first and I rate an opening goal in the first half highly, especially when it involves us.

I'm more than confident that we are able to control the game with ease if we manage to get that all important lead.

But remember earlier on in the season?

Liverpool get very tired very quickly.

True Gooner

Established Member
Does anyone think that Rafas early season rotation policy will give them some kind of advantage?

I want to see Walcott on the right and Hleb on the left.

Id also like to see Eboue as RB but that would mean dropping Toure, which doesnt look likely.

Lancelot

Established Member
ibby said:
But remember earlier on in the season?

Liverpool get very tired very quickly.
That is true, mate, but we are also in different condition now in term of endurance when compared with earlier in the season; our engines like Flamini and Fabregas have been used non-stop while Liverpool's have been enjoying the benefit of rotation.

That kind of evens things out for me.

stuart

Established Member
true gooner said:
Does anyone think that Rafas early season rotation policy will give them some kind of advantage?

I want to see Walcott on the right and Hleb on the left.

Id also like to see Eboue as RB but that would mean dropping Touré, which doesnt look likely.

Im not sure, i think we're one of the fittest teams in the league. Although we're tired at the minute i think we should be able to pump ourselves up enough to match them in terms of fitness. It's no coincedince that Liverpool for the past 2 seasons finish as one of the strongest teams. His rotation pays off eventually, just with too many consequences.

RobinVanPersie

Pieter Vink is the referee, a Dutchman.

He made some big mistakes this season in the Dutch League. The fans call him Blind Vink (a kind of meat in Holland).

Asterix

Established Member
Torres is their key player, and the biggest threat to us. It's not a good time for our defence to be facing him I don't think.

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom