• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v S.C. Braga, 15/09/10, ITV1, 7:45PM GMT

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Timleaf said:
Yousif, I've noticed your written English has improved massively over the last few months or so. Congrats and keep it up. :)

thx you i learned here with you all

outlaw_member

Established Member
By the way, there were some really dangerous challenges committed by our boys. Wilshere, I think, went in two-footed with the studs showing. Whilst, Koscielny went in with a high foot, whilst also showing his studs.

the dawn raids

Established Member
i know it probably goes without saying but vela scoring goals like that helps lighten the tension of two strikers being out considerably. and again, helps us afford the luxury of van persie, which is sadly what it looks like he's becoming with every new injury. great stuff.

qs

Established Member
Captain said:
Thought Wilshere ran the game for 50mins or so but then faded.

Spot on. He was brilliant but by the end he looked very tired. Great to see him doing so well though, so much for all the people who claimed he was out of his depth after the Anfield trip.

outlaw_member

Established Member
qs said:
Captain said:
Thought Wilshere ran the game for 50mins or so but then faded.

Spot on. He was brilliant but by the end he looked very tired. Great to see him doing so well though, so much for all the people who claimed he was out of his depth after the Anfield trip.

The key difference today was that he played alongside Cesc, instead of Song. So his contribution was predominantly offensive based, which is where he excels, instead of being assigned to a relatively defensive role.

qs

Established Member
He started very clearly beside Song and still had a major influence. It was only at half time I noticed the switch and it was pretty stark. He's well able to play the killer pass from deep as well as add a bit of flair and class in the final 3rd.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I thought it was clear from the very start that it was an inverted-pyramid shape. Even as early as the 5th minute, Cesc came deep to collect, whilst both Song and Wilshere moved ahead of the ball at the same time. Wilshere was playing right alongside Cesc, moving in tandem. It's largely why they managed to play so passes between each other, and why Wilshere found himself in so many goalscoring positions.

nazo

Established Member
I didn't watch the game but (from the highlights) it looked like Cesc was playing so much ahead at times.

How did the midfield block do defensively? How about the defense?

outlaw_member

Established Member
However, our shape did change later on in the game, when Cesc started playing as a striker as he looked for his hattrick.

otfgoon

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
The key difference today was that he played alongside Cesc, instead of Song. So his contribution was predominantly offensive based, which is where he excels, instead of being assigned to a relatively defensive role.

He was clearly playing deeper than Cesc, best way to see our shape is when we dont have the ball and he was clearly alonside Song. Difference was he was playing with more freedom and confidence and wasn't afriad to get forward more like he was during pre-season.

qs

Established Member
otfgoon said:
outlaw_member said:

He was clearly playing deeper than Cesc, best way to see our shape is when we dont have the ball and he was clearly alonside Song. Difference was he was playing with more freedom and confidence and wasn't afriad to get forward more like he was during pre-season.

Not in the second half oft. It was plain to see Song was playing as a lone DM when we didn't have the ball, it looked very much 4-1-4-1 when they had the ball.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I don't think it was a case of fear, but rather positioning, and possibly instructions. I think there were instances where he did play deeper, especially once we'd scored a few goals. However, for most of the first half, he was very high up the pitch, and that owed to his immense offensive contribution. As his stamina waned, he started playing deeper, and his influence diminished.

qs

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I thought it was clear from the very start that it was an inverted-pyramid shape. Even as early as the 5th minute, Cesc came deep to collect, whilst both Song and Wilshere moved ahead of the ball at the same time. Wilshere was playing right alongside Cesc, moving in tandem. It's largely why they managed to play so passes between each other, and why Wilshere found himself in so many goalscoring positions.

Definitely not, I was in the East upper and we definitely started the game with the usual 4-2-3-1. The front 4 moved around alot but when we were defending Jack was as deep as Song.

GaelForce22

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
It was the same as we've seen all season - Wilshere/Song behind Cesc. The only difference was that Braga's complete lack of a midfield allowed Jack to get forward so much.

Timleaf

Established Member
I thought Wilshere's starting positions were the same as they have been all season. Most of his offensive contributions seemed to come from long runs starting from quite deep.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I don't know, it'd definitely be much easier to discern whilst being at the stadium. But that was the first thing I noticed today, how Wilshere was positioned high up the pitch and joined the attack with greater frequency than he has done all season.

qs

Established Member
Nela said:
How was the atmosphere and mood at the ground, qs?

****e where I was. Old lads moaning at us for standing up, even after goals. Clock end and North banks made some noise though. Braga fans were really loud until the 3rd goal.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Nela said:
How was the atmosphere and mood at the ground, qs?
Not QS but... :wink:

Everyone was enjoying it as you'd expect and it was fun and loud where I was - the top of the new North Bank. A few new songs for me too, including an Eboue one (to the tune of seven nation army) that was sung almost non stop through the second half. Loads of 'Are you watching Tottenham' too.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 29

Bruno Guimaraes’ representatives have been told by Newcastle that he won’t be sold unless his release clause is triggered [TBR Football]

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs interested in Leeds’ 18 year old midfielder Archie Gray [Fabrizio Romano]

Kia Joorabchian has claimed striker Joshua Zirkzee is pushing towards a move to Arsenal [Corriere dello Sport]

Arsenal have moved on from midfielder Martin Zubimendi and are targeting other players in the position instead [HITC]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško is the club’s number one target this summer [John Cross - The Mirror]

Any move for Bruno Guimaraes or Douglas Luiz depends on the departure of Thomas Partey [Sami Mokbel - The Mail]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom