• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Liverpool, August 20th 2011, 12:45

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
We've been fine at the back, really.
Those holes in midfield, once Frimpong was sent off, just became too big to handle, then you only need one individual mistake combined with a referee-howler, and suddenly you're 1-0 behind.

Koscielny has been good alongside Verms, for the first couple of minutes, until he had to come off injured. Miquel did really well, same with Jenkinson, with an eye on the circumstances.

The squad just lacks quality in nearly every area, that's what costed us on Saturday. Our attacking play was woeful.

mo50

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
We may have to change our formation to better suit Frimpong's strengths, or even use him as a CM alongside Wilshere with Song anchoring in behind. I think we should alternate between him and Ramsey this season, depending on the opponent. Frimpong is an all action midfielder, and using him as a DM is a waste of his talents. It's akin to placing him on a leash, and not to mention that he'll end up routinely vacating his position, to the detriment of the team, if he is perform in the hole.

That's what I was thinking the other day. Playing both Song and Frimpong at places like Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford would be beneficial to us but the man in charge will play his favoured team regardless of opposition.

outlaw_member

Established Member
One thing that seems to have gone amiss is that Liverpool started the game with Luis Suarez on the bench. The clubs best players wasn't given a starting role in a major game, something which Ferguson too is known to do on occasion. Wenger could learn something from that.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
We may have to change our formation to better suit Frimpong's strengths, or even use him as a CM alongside Wilshere with Song anchoring in behind. I think we should alternate between him and Ramsey this season, depending on the opponent. Frimpong is an all action midfielder, and using him as a DM is a waste of his talents. It's akin to placing him on a leash, and not to mention that he'll end up routinely vacating his position, to the detriment of the team, if he is perform in the hole.

I'd like to see Frimpong developed in the long term in the same role as Vieira was. He's tailor made for it. He needs the experience of how to play the role and a better passing range though.

burnsjed

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
One thing that seems to have gone amiss is that Liverpool started the game with Luis Suarez on the bench. The clubs best players wasn't given a starting role in a major game, something which Ferguson too is known to do on occasion. Wenger could learn something from that.

Though hopefully he will hold off trying this out until we have more than a couple of good players!!
Though we did go to OT years back with Henry on the bench right?

DOUBLE-YOU

qs said:
:lol:

A better player? Don't be so reactionary. The lad had a good game but then got sent off. I'm a big fan of Frimpong but he's a few years off Songs level yet.

Not that i'm trying to get into an argument about this, but my judgement was based on characteristics i saw in his game rather than how he played. You are right in saying i shouldn't be so reactionary, and in an earlier post I mentioned, that i would be interested to see how he plays away from home.

Why i feel Frimpong is better than Song is because he has a better first touch. Song takes 3 touches to move the ball on, Frimpong seemed to know what he wants to do with the ball straight away. He may not have always picked the best option, but he had an idea. When i watch Song i don't think he knows until after he has controlled the ball and looked up.

Frimpong also seems more dynamic. I never knew he had that in his locker. To me, Song ambles whereas Manu powers forward. Its an attribute more suited to the premier league.

The final characteristic which really impressed me was his talking. He was always encouraging and cajoling team mates into the right defensive areas. Few in the squad are vocal, so to see a teenager communicating like that in his 2nd game is promising. Song doesn't, neither Diaby nor experienced players like Sagna.

But I will add this, I don't know what Frimpong is like in the air, where Song is very good, and he has a temper which could get him into trouble. I am surprised no one has mentioned that he gave Lucas the middle finger after Lucas fouled him.

to me experience is the only visible difference. With that will come consistency, and hopefully we'll have one hell of a midfield partnership with Frimpong and Jack.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Latest posts

Top Bottom