• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Man City - EPL - Sat 24th April 17:30 - ESPN

law90026

Established Member
I'm not sure why Viera is being slammed.

Read his book (albeit take it with a pinch of salt since it won't be the 100% truth).

He didn't want to leave. He may have wrestled with the decision but he never ever said he wanted to go and, when he was sold, it wasn't at his request. It was Wenger doing his standard "you're overaged, time to go" schtick.

number_0

Established Member
Anyone got a picture of that Eboue banner that was in the stadium during the game, genuinely made me chuckle.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
JazzG got a point though. He was a great player on the pitch for us, but character wise he might not be the best around. I think he is selfish more than anything and always thought about himself, understandbly more than the team

Burnwinter

Established Member
Trying to read anything into Vieira's character through the football transfer press is like trying to learn about Charles and Diana's marriage through the tabloid press.

You might come away with a strong opinion, but you can be fairly damn sure it's baseless.

Wenger14

Established Member
On the subject of Vieira did he really have to hug Adebayor when he went off? Adebayor has been an absolute **** to our fans I thought it was unnecessary to do it while the fans were cheering him.

marco

song and eboue are ****s for going upto that ****** at the final whistle hugging him etc etc..i thought the 2 of them toure and ade were going to do a little dance for us..

highlight of the game was fancy fouling adebayor..other than that terrible..after the fulham game im straight outta that ground not wasting 15 mins of my life clapping those bunch of deplorable idiots off..
without cesc we are unbelibably toothless...- i cant believe the highlight of 2010 has been a flare at chelsea and beating stoke - a team that chlesea stuffed 7-0..

patrick42uk

Established Member
Wenger14 said:
On the subject of Vieira did he really have to hug Adebayor when he went off? Adebayor has been an absolute c**t to our fans I thought it was unnecessary to do it while the fans were cheering him.

Not to open up a whole new can of worms, but it does crack me up when fans get all sensitive and **** when the tables are turned. When its fans goading a player, its all good hearted banter (bar the racist/homophobic ones, of course) but when a player does it?

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Just seen the below on F365...was it so bad at the match?

Ashamed Of The Arsenal Chants
I was at the Arsenal game on Saturday and I left feeling utterly let down. You'll be expecting me to lay into the players now for their somewhat insipid and boring performance. However, you'll have to look to others for that. I am writing in to address something which for the first time made me ashamed to be an Arsenal fan: the chanting at Emmanuel Adebayor.

I'm all for booing the guy. Pantomime villains are all part of football and he left our club acrimoniously. But there was a significant minority of the crowd in my end, and no doubt elsewhere, singing two different songs which both boiled down to "we wish you'd died in the shooting before the ANC". This is disgusting and, frankly, made me ashamed to be there. Not to mention the effect it would have had on our own team to know that the crowd were largely ignoring them just to throw despicable insults at one opposition player.

If anyone who sang those songs is reading then I have a message for you: you are pathetic, worthless individuals who either have no humanity at all or are happy to suspend any sense of human decency just to bait an opposition player. Please do not darken our stadium again.
Ben, London, AFC

...Arsenal fans like to take the moral highground. We really do. And on all manner of issues: We play better football than you. We spend less money than you. Our owners have more integrity than yours. Just kids, don't you know, and when they get older...but it doesn't really work, unfortunately, if 60,000 of you sing songs about a certain player's mother being a whore, or chant racial slurs about the same player's father. It doesn't really maintain the image. And it rings hollow too, when you then get up in arms about that song all those nasty uncouth fans sing about Arsène Wenger every time he has the temerity to stand up in the dug-out. You can't really expect any better, if you do just the same.

Adebayor left. Get over it. All this fuss about him nearly a year on, it just looks a bit...pathetic.
Matt H, (when is this season over? is it soon?) Battersea, Arsenal

wellington

Anzac said:
wellington said:
Anzac said:
Just seen the EPL Highlights show - our formation was supposedly 4231............
That's how I saw it.
Doomed from the start then............again.
My view was that Wenger was expecting city to come out hard, but they were sitting back. Game was a bit tepid. Yet I felt happy we didn't lose. Maybe the players felt the same way - a bit low on confidence.

Anzac

Established Member
wellington said:
My view was that Wenger was expecting city to come out hard, but they were sitting back. Game was a bit tepid. Yet I felt happy we didn't lose. Maybe the players felt the same way - a bit low on confidence.

In which case AW's comments re our being 'cautious' were perhaps more about himself than about the team/players?

Burnwinter

Established Member
Reading between the lines from Wenger's post-match comments it seemed he'd asked all of the players to pay specific attention to defence during the match.

qs

Established Member
law90026 said:
I'm not sure why Viera is being slammed.

Read his book (albeit take it with a pinch of salt since it won't be the 100% truth).

He didn't want to leave. He may have wrestled with the decision but he never ever said he wanted to go and, when he was sold, it wasn't at his request. It was Wenger doing his standard "you're overaged, time to go" schtick.

Were you an Arsenal supporter at that time? Because to say Wenger sold Vieira because of his age is weird revisionism. Vieira had done worse than Adebayor off the pitch really. He'd more than flirted with Real and the only reason a deal broke down was because he wouldn't take a non-Galactico wage.

qs

Established Member
irishgunnerz said:
Just seen the below on F365...was it so bad at the match?

Ashamed Of The Arsenal Chants
I was at the Arsenal game on Saturday and I left feeling utterly let down. You'll be expecting me to lay into the players now for their somewhat insipid and boring performance. However, you'll have to look to others for that. I am writing in to address something which for the first time made me ashamed to be an Arsenal fan: the chanting at Emmanuel Adebayor.

I'm all for booing the guy. Pantomime villains are all part of football and he left our club acrimoniously. But there was a significant minority of the crowd in my end, and no doubt elsewhere, singing two different songs which both boiled down to "we wish you'd died in the shooting before the ANC". This is disgusting and, frankly, made me ashamed to be there. Not to mention the effect it would have had on our own team to know that the crowd were largely ignoring them just to throw despicable insults at one opposition player.

If anyone who sang those songs is reading then I have a message for you: you are pathetic, worthless individuals who either have no humanity at all or are happy to suspend any sense of human decency just to bait an opposition player. Please do not darken our stadium again.
Ben, London, AFC

...Arsenal fans like to take the moral highground. We really do. And on all manner of issues: We play better football than you. We spend less money than you. Our owners have more integrity than yours. Just kids, don't you know, and when they get older...but it doesn't really work, unfortunately, if 60,000 of you sing songs about a certain player's mother being a whore, or chant racial slurs about the same player's father. It doesn't really maintain the image. And it rings hollow too, when you then get up in arms about that song all those nasty uncouth fans sing about Arsène Wenger every time he has the temerity to stand up in the dug-out. You can't really expect any better, if you do just the same.

Adebayor left. Get over it. All this fuss about him nearly a year on, it just looks a bit...pathetic.
Matt H, (when is this season over? is it soon?) Battersea, Arsenal

I'd like to know if anyone off here who was at the match heard this stuff? I have my doubts.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom