• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs New York Red Bulls

Vela

Established Member
Play Afobe up front. I wonder if he will be in the first team photo on Thursday at members day.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
Vela doesn't have the quality to play point against defenders who will man handle him (then again neither does Chamakh any more), nor the temperament to learn how to do so (although this is partly Wenger's fault as well for failing to whip him into shape). He's only somebody you can count on once we're already 3 or 4-0 up against Mug Side FC, where can do his tricks and chips and add another goal or two. You can't trust players like that.

Hoya

Vela said:
Play Afobe up front. I wonder if he will be in the first team photo on Thursday at members day.

This is all I care about after this game. In meaningless games, you have to look at the positives. Afobe looked like a beast on the ball, especially in the 2nd half. Comfortable, dangerous, quick, powerful, and intelligent. I'm excited, hopefully he really breaks in the team soon...

Rosicky was good. Worked really hard, showed off his passing vision, all the good things we know Rosicky can do. Really got into this game.

Gibbs has improved every game in the pre-season, hopefully he is ready.

Gervinho looks like a quality buy, really forces the issue. Would love to see him+Walcott bossing the wings. RVP showed his class to.

Thought Vermaelen and Kosh were solid too. Bartley is HUGE, will be in the defender rotation after some more development. Should make it here at Arsenal.

GOONER1991

Established Member
Afobe was a real positive in this game. Got his chance and really, really took it well. Was impressed with his touch in the box, to turn and shoot, but also his ability to go past players. Strong, quick, skillful, a very good showing from him indeed. It's that type of desire to make a good impression that I want to see from our reserve players.

Would like to see more of him. Hopefully he gets either a loan to a Premier League team, or is promoted to our Carling/FA Cup team.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Afobe done well, will be interesting to see what happens with him next season, battling for a play off place last season and playing at Wembley was great experience for the lad, these are big pressure games.

Floating

Established Member
Hoya said:
Vela said:

This is all I care about after this game. In meaningless games, you have to look at the positives. Afobe looked like a beast on the ball, especially in the 2nd half. Comfortable, dangerous, quick, powerful, and intelligent. I'm excited, hopefully he really breaks in the team soon...

Rosicky was good. Worked really hard, showed off his passing vision, all the good things we know Rosicky can do. Really got into this game.

Gibbs has improved every game in the pre-season, hopefully he is ready.

Gervinho looks like a quality buy, really forces the issue. Would love to see him+Walcott bossing the wings. RVP showed his class to.

Thought Vermaelen and Kosh were solid too. Bartley is HUGE, will be in the defender rotation after some more development. Should make it here at Arsenal.

Yes! All of these were real positives from the game. Massively impressed with Rosicky and Gibbs — fair play to Afobe, too.

GDeep™

League is very weak
ThaSaltCracka said:
whats the word on wilshere? I hear he left the game early. was the injury serious?

Minor ankle problem, nothing serious, will probably miss our game against Benfica and England's match next week.

Floating

Established Member
ThaSaltCracka said:
whats the word on wilshere? I hear he left the game early. was the injury serious?

Nah, according to Wenger, it will be something like, 5-10 days at most. He might even make the Benfica game.

ThaSaltCracka

cheers, thanks for that. I was looking for an update on the guardian and couldn't find a word on it. Good to hear its nothing to serious, hopefully he misses that England game. I want him ready to roll at season start.

Spork

Established Member
So if TH14 had played for us for the last 5 minutes - then we would have won that game! Darn. :p

patrick42uk

Established Member
Afobe is interesting. Looks more convincing than Sanchez Watt because he's more powerful and better technically.

Rosicky's performance was good too. Played good passes and pressed the ball very well. From the looks of it, he'll play this season as back up to Jack/the wingers which is fine.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Dave_Ja_Vu said:
Think the boos at the end were a bit over the top. I don't think any of us are ecstatic with the way things are going right now, but does drawing a pre-season game really warrant the team being booed?

Nope crap crowd more interested in the Mexican wave and then have the temerity to boo . ridiculous.

darthwenger

qs said:
Dave_Ja_Vu said:
Think the boos at the end were a bit over the top. I don't think any of us are ecstatic with the way things are going right now, but does drawing a pre-season game really warrant the team being booed?

The crowd weren't just booing the draw though. They were also booing the draw yesterday, the loss of 2 comfortable leads 2 days in a row, the capitulation at the end of last season and the mess this summer has turned into regarding our transfer business.

I was glad t hear them TBH.

As others have mentioned, this isn't a knee-jerk reaction to this result.

Its the fact that Arsenal supporters are getting tired of the same old mistakes year after year followed by the same excuses.

To then come to see the pre-season games and see exactly the same problems that have dogged us for years plainly obviously again - plus the clubs so far non-activity in the market to try and fix these problems has the crowd voicing their unhappiness.

I've no problems with it whatsoever. If anything, I feel the club/Board/Wenger has had this coming as they have been shortchanging the supporters for years.

heltaschelta

ebouenolike said:
raidersoftheark said:
I'd certainly play him over Vela on the flanks.

Agreed. He was pacey strong and direct. Vela again showed he is a waste of space.

Wow. I reckon you may eat those words this year.

The only players I could really criticise is eboue. Seems he just can't defend...........
I was going to say "any more......... "But he is on his way out by the sounds of it. And song. Is it just me or does it look like he is confused about his role in the team. I would say that he is most responsible for that dangerous space in front of our central defence being quite open these days. Gilberto would have never allowed himself to get dragged into the flanks and forward as much as he does.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Wow, what a terrible match.

Slow-paced, pointless possession, lack of ideas and creativity, again lost a lead, defence is a joke when you put pressure on them, midfield is dirt without Cesc and Jack as I've been saying, nobody in the box when we move the ball forward.

It's gonna be a hard season I think, can see us winning maybe 1 of those opening 3 PL matches.

Gervinho again looked lively, Rosicky had a good game and would be a great squad player if he could maintain that in the PL, which I doubt.

We need some new signings and end these ridiculous sagas involving Cesc and Nasri.

Lazaq

fabo said:
Slow-paced, pointless possession, lack of ideas and creativity, again lost a lead, defence is a joke when you put pressure on them, midfield is dirt without Cesc and Jack as I've been saying, nobody in the box when we move the ball forward.
I agree with most of that, but I think we looked okay before the subs were made. NY got nowhere then and the goal they scored was a freak thing, albeit somewhat symptomatic. It's still the same old story with us and I hope the booing was a wake-up call to the management. Spend some ****ing money.

Y va marquer

Established Member
celestis said:
Dave_Ja_Vu said:

Nope crap crowd more interested in the Mexican wave and then have the temerity to boo . ridiculous.

That Mexican wave business made me want to hide under my seat.
Nothing spontaneous about it at all and it died a death before it got all the way around.

Unfortunately the booing was a lot more heartfelt.
Wouldn't join in either.
No matter how fed up I may be I just don't have it in me to voice it by booing my own team.

outlaw_member

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Afobe is interesting. Looks more convincing than Sanchez Watt because he's more powerful and better technically.

Rosicky's performance was good too. Played good passes and pressed the ball very well. From the looks of it, he'll play this season as back up to Jack/the wingers which is fine.

He's fine as a backup to the central players, but he's an abomination on the flanks.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom