• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: 20 Years and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom

Interesting article....

"The closest Wenger has come to leaving Arsenal was seemingly in 2014, when he delayed a decision about his future until after the Gunners' 3-2 extra-time FA Cup final victory over Hull City. Some sources close to Arsenal believe Wenger would have walked away had Arsenal been defeated, and in the immediate aftermath of the victory the manager appeared more emotional than at any other point during his 20-year career in English football -- almost disorientated as he navigated his way around Wembley Stadium. In post-match interviews, though, he confirmed his desire to continue.

Had Wenger decided to resign, however, Arsenal would have had options. 2014 was a relatively fluid summer for top-level managers changing jobs, partly because the summer of international tournaments generally sees a lot of coaches on the move. Today, there are fewer genuinely viable candidates."

http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/3...atives-arsenal-should-give-him-a-new-contract

That game was stressful for the fans but if Wenger had decide before the match to resign if we lost, at 2 down he must have been at the outermost limits of human endurance.

Last edited:

Goonerozil33

From the senile Myles Palmer. The bolded part is just some wild imagination and something he faithfully sticks to. I have not seen someone cooks wild theories with as much conviction as this fellow. He is the one who famously told that Arsenal made a mistake in signing Thierry Henry. He said they should have signed Robbie Keane.
"
Myles says:

Ivan Gazidis was astounded at how much power Wenger has.

Whatever happens this season, I don’t see him leaving Arsenal.

He thinks: I am the club.

He’s a politician and a policy maker.

He sells the future more cleverly than anyone in human history. When he becomes unpopular and it’s time to sell a future with himself stepping down next summer, he talks about leaving. But he doesn’t mean it. He’ll never go. He’ll never hand over power.

Against Chelsea, when his team were thrashing a hated rival by 3-0, he was waiting for the crowd to sing, “One Arsène Wenger, there’s only one Arsène Wenger!”

They didn’t. The crowd could have sung that but they didn’t.

A VERY REVEALING MOMENT: That told us how disaffected Gooners are.

However, after an impressive undefeated run in the near future, the board will announce that Arsène has signed a new three-year contract.

I’ll bet my entire vinyl collection on that.
"

Robertoe

There's some nice stats here on Wenger's 20 year reign - looks like they've gone a little deeper than most articles on the subject. http://www.thestatszone.com/articles/20-years-at-arsenal-wenger-by-numbers

An interesting read. I always ask myself two questions when I think of a managerial change.

1. If Arsène had done this 20 years elsewhere and we were after a new manager, would he be near the top of our candidates to take over?

and 2. We know what to expect from him. From all the candidates that we could attract, who could we confidently say could take us forward?

To be fair, I'd expect a transition regardless of who came in. However, it is only when I see his achievements like in this article which is very well written I should add, that I still prefer Arsène to the unknown.

TriniGunner

From the senile Myles Palmer. The bolded part is just some wild imagination and something he faithfully sticks to. I have not seen someone cooks wild theories with as much conviction as this fellow. He is the one who famously told that Arsenal made a mistake in signing Thierry Henry. He said they should have signed Robbie Keane.
"
Myles says:

He sells the future more cleverly than anyone in human history. When he becomes unpopular and it’s time to sell a future with himself stepping down next summer, he talks about leaving. But he doesn’t mean it. He’ll never go. He’ll never hand over power.

Against Chelsea, when his team were thrashing a hated rival by 3-0, he was waiting for the crowd to sing, “One Arsène Wenger, there’s only one Arsène Wenger!”

However, after an impressive undefeated run in the near future, the board will announce that Arsène has signed a new three-year contract.

"

I want first dibs on those records if you lose that bet.

carlito'sway

Established Member
"
Myles says:

"

How someone gets up and writes such tripe is beyond me....SMH.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

"
Myles says:

"

He's been writing this crap for years ,at least 12 , the editor of ANR at times edits his posts- it get's that malicious.

Anyway this is not the thread to mention him in.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Probably would have been the best time to leave, on a relative high with good foundations for a new manager to take over, with funds to invest. What followed were Wengers two worst seasons as a manager in the league, last season being particularly painful.

I'm undecided if it's mitigated by a transitional phase which we're going to have to endure at some point though.
If winning his 6th FA Cup (the most FA Cup wins in football history for one manager) and then runner up in the most difficult league in the world, are his two worst seasons . . . I'd say your opinion of Wenger is even higher than mine. Respect for that post mate :eek:

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Interesting article by Michael Cox - he doesn't generally do those sort of pieces.

His article doesn't touch on the fact that there is the likelihood that some high calibre managers could make themselves available once it is known the Arsenal top job is available.

Devils advocate - If a completely different manager was managing us over the past two seasons, would the past two seasons be enough to grant him a new contract?

Would be interesting to hear from others.

Doom

Interesting article by Michael Cox - he doesn't generally do those sort of pieces.

His article doesn't touch on the fact that there is the likelihood that some high calibre managers could make themselves available once it is known the Arsenal top job is available.

Devils advocate - If a completely different manager was managing us over the past two seasons, would the past two seasons be enough to grant him a new contract?

Would be interesting to hear from others.

Hypotethetical Manager would have in the past two seasons won the FA cup, led the team to it's highest league position in a decade. This summer he would have made some astute buys, and judicious releases and loans, giving the squad it's best shape in years.

Gutsy calls on tactics and player positions have also given the team an excellent balance with an assured defence, dynamic attack and a will to win.

Yeah I'd say Hypothetical Manager deserves a new contract.

I feel there is some good things going on with the academy at the moment. A lot have been built how the team play, and how we operate. Hopefully the manager who will come in will be young, hungry and can respect what has been done here since we moved to Emirates.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Hypotethetical Manager would have in the past two seasons won the FA cup, led the team to it's highest league position in a decade. This summer he would have made some astute buys, and judicious releases and loans, giving the squad it's best shape in years.

Gutsy calls on tactics and player positions have also given the team an excellent balance with an assured defence, dynamic attack and a will to win.

Yeah I'd say Hypothetical Manager deserves a new contract.

Fair, however

Hypothetical Manager also loses the league to Leicester City by 10+ points, after failing to add a single outfield player the previous summer, on top of another failed title challenge the previous year due to not addressing glaring deficiencies within the squad.

Hypothetical Manager also sees the lowest goals scored tally since 1998, and the lowest goals scored tally at the Emirates Stadium (IIRC)

Hypothetical Manager continues to suffer embarrassing CL defeats to minnows, exiting at precisely the same stage as in the past 5-6 years

Hypothetical Manager would have this season to salvage his career at Arsenal IMO. Another failed PL challenge ie. within striking distance in May and it would be curtains for Hypothetical Manager.

Two sides to every coin ;)

Doom

Fair, however

Hypothetical Manager also loses the league to Leicester City by 10+ points, after failing to add a single outfield player the previous summer, on top of another failed title challenge the previous year due to not addressing glaring deficiencies within the squad.

Hypothetical Manager also sees the lowest goals scored tally since 1998, and the lowest goals scored tally at the Emirates Stadium (IIRC)

Hypothetical Manager continues to suffer embarrassing CL defeats to minnows, exiting at precisely the same stage as in the past 5-6 years

Hypothetical Manager would have this season to salvage his career at Arsenal IMO. Another failed PL challenge ie. within striking distance in May and it would be curtains for Hypothetical Manager.

But he tried to sign good players like Xhaka that summer, it's no shame to get knocked out of the CL R16 by Barca or Munich, or even Monaco really in that they could focus on that one competiton, on away goals too, especially when for a chunk of those years the club was insolvent.

I agree a bad year this year would be sobering but I think Hypothetical Manager now that the albatross of debt has been lifted has put together a very competent squad and will be in the mix come May.

:eek:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Fair, however

Ffs give it a rest. The team are doing really well and we're all enjoying the 20th celebrations.

There'll be plenty of opportunity to wheel out this 'embarrassing Arsenal' drivel when we lose our next match.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Surely it'll be this season he'll be judged on whether he gets a new contract (well I mean he himself decides if he signs one or not, obviously he's getting offered one no matter what happens).

I see, starting from 2013, as a building process after leaving the "banter era" behind us starting with the signing of Özil. We've won 2 FA Cups and progressed in terms of league position that year and managed to add players like Alexis, Xhaka, Cech, Mustafi, etc while also seeing the emergence of Bellerin, Iwobi and Coquelin. Now we're at a point where we've got a well balanced squad with excellent depth. I'd say any hypothetical manager who'd come into a job like Arsenal up against clubs like City and Chelsea, who's managed to get us into this position after a few years would be deserving of some praise at least.

But as I said, now it's down to what this squad do going forward. This season is what matters and so far we've made a pretty decent start playing some of the best football we've seen in years in process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom