• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,587
  • Views 181,874

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I've gone off striker tbh.

We were a top 2 team last year and will be top 3 this year, with potential for a PL title. With Havertz and Jesus, the upside of another striker is less than the downside of an injury to Saka, Øde, Rice or Saliba/Gabriel. So backups/alternatives for those should be the priority imo, together with a playmaking midfielder to replace Jorgi if/when he leaves (could be either 6 or 8, attributes more important than position).

The most obvious like for like backup for Saka would be Kudus, it's a shame we didn't go for him last summer, it was such an obvious one. Now I really don't know. Feel Williams is a different profile.

Øde you probably can't find a like for like replacement so what you do is look for an 8/10 hybrid that can take creative responsibility when Øde misses out. Paqueta, Barella and maybe Musiala or Simons although the latter two might be too much 10's and too little 8's?

Onana is probably a shoo-in Rice replacement, but will he come and sit on the bench?

Jorginho I honestly don't know. FDJ or Luiz and play Rice/Onana as 6, although I really don't like this based on how we looked with Rice there vs Jorginho. Completely different dynamic.
We won nothing last season and we may win nothing this season as well. Relying on Jesus for another season is pure madness and playing with fire

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

We won nothing last season and we may win nothing this season as well. Relying on Jesus for another season is pure madness and playing with fire
Agree it's not ideal, but relying on the others to be fit for another PL and CL campaign is waaaaay worse. It's more about choosing the lesser evil imo, especially when the striker market is as cack as it is. Not convinced any player on the market makes us a better team tbh.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Agree it's not ideal, but relying on the others to be fit for another PL and CL campaign is waaaaay worse. It's more about choosing the lesser evil imo, especially when the striker market is as cack as it is. Not convinced any player on the market makes us a better team tbh.
You say striker market is cack. But we have two strikers who has not even cracked double digit league goals by April. Both guys have been 1/3 for years. The strikers we are linked with are better strikers than what we have

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

We'll be bringing in zubimendi to rotate with jorgi as he gets use to the league

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

You say striker market is cack. But we have two strikers who has not even cracked double digit league goals by April. Both guys have been 1/3 for years. The strikers we are linked with are better strikers than what we have
At what? Scoring goals? Sure. Linking up and creating space for others to score? Maybe, maybe not, in some cases definitely not.

An Osimhen doesn’t equal this or last season’s goal tally + 20. City have scored less goals per game since Haaland joined, compared to the season before and their two most recent PL titles prior to Haaland they had a midfielder score most (15 and 13 respectively).

If it comes down to Osimhen+Nelson/Vieira or Jesus/Havertz+Williams I'd definitely want the latter. Add in the difference in price and the ability to make more transfers and it's an even easier choice imo.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I hope not. His passing from deep isn't good enough. 57th percentile for progressive passes compared to Jorginho's 97th percentile. I want 1 of Bruno Gimares, Douglas Luiz, Alex Garcia or maybe Caquerete
Progressive passing stat can depend on the team one plays for. All of Luiz, Zubimendi and Onana have similar progressive passing per 90.

Onana seems to have improved his passing this season, if I remember his earlier season stats correctly. He is very young for a midfielder, so it's not a suprise. Have always liked him, but still not sure if he is the best option if only one midfielder is added.

Luiz is my first choice if he costs about 80 million pounds, but when looking at his stats, remember that he gives corners and freekicks.

Press "toggle per 90" for every stat.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

At what? Scoring goals? Sure. Linking up and creating space for others to score? Maybe, maybe not, in some cases definitely not.

An Osimhen doesn’t equal this or last season’s goal tally + 20. City have scored less goals per game since Haaland joined, compared to the season before and their two most recent PL titles prior to Haaland they had a midfielder score most (15 and 13 respectively).

If it comes down to Osimhen+Nelson/Vieira or Jesus/Havertz+Williams I'd definitely want the latter. Add in the difference in price and the ability to make more transfers and it's an even easier choice imo.
Why does it have to come to those two scenarios? Nelson has no future at the club and will be moved on. Vieira if we could find a buyer would be sold as well. He will be behind nwaneri next season anyone. So neither has anything to do with us buying a striker or not

Sungod

City had to change so much to accomodate Erling Haaland and that's not how we should approach exactly.

We need full Deadwood removal this summer.
And if we don't win a CL/PL then it makes it difficult to get our targets this window.

Good people who are starters should be willing to come to Arsenal without guarantee of First place.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I've gone off striker tbh.

We were a top 2 team last year and will be top 3 this year, with potential for a PL title. With Havertz and Jesus, the upside of another striker is less than the downside of an injury to Saka, Øde, Rice or Saliba/Gabriel. So backups/alternatives for those should be the priority imo, together with a playmaking midfielder to replace Jorgi if/when he leaves (could be either 6 or 8, attributes more important than position).

The most obvious like for like backup for Saka would be Kudus, it's a shame we didn't go for him last summer, it was such an obvious one. Now I really don't know. Feel Williams is a different profile.

Øde you probably can't find a like for like replacement so what you do is look for an 8/10 hybrid that can take creative responsibility when Øde misses out. Paqueta, Barella and maybe Musiala or Simons although the latter two might be too much 10's and too little 8's?

Onana is probably a shoo-in Rice replacement, but will he come and sit on the bench?

Jorginho I honestly don't know. FDJ or Luiz and play Rice/Onana as 6, although I really don't like this based on how we looked with Rice there vs Jorginho. Completely different dynamic.

This is a very long winded way of saying that I was right and we should go all in on ⛱️

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

I hope not. His passing from deep isn't good enough. 57th percentile for progressive passes compared to Jorginho's 97th percentile. I want 1 of Bruno Gimares, Douglas Luiz, Alex Garcia or maybe Caquerete

Luiz is the preferred option for me too overall. But I have a feeling Arteta really likes likes Zubimendi.

Last edited:

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Progressive passing stat can depend on the team one plays for. All of Luiz, Zubimendi and Onana have similar progressive passing per 90.

Onana seems to have improved his passing this season, if I remember his earlier season stats correctly. He is very young for a midfielder, so it's not a suprise. Have always liked him, but still not sure if he is the best option if only one midfielder is added.

Luiz is my first choice if he costs about 80 million pounds, but when looking at his stats, remember that he gives corners and freekicks.

Press "toggle per 90" for every stat.

Luiz plays further forward than the other 2 though and contributes high numbers of goals and assists. It's easier for a DM to have high progressive passing stats when a pass out to the fullback is a progressive pass. Luiz is simply better at passing incisive passes between the lines.

I suppose in big games though either Rice Onana or Rice Zubimendi would be interesting. We'd be completely suffocating teams in the counter press

Also I know everyone wants us to clear out Partey but I think Mikel likes him. I can Partey andd Jorginho here next season with only 1 midfield addition.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom