• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,906
  • Views 196,434

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Basically a chaos creater works aswell. Liverpool plays a system which allows for chaos on its own. But Artetas system is too structured. In a low block even someone like Doku can create Chaos although he is a high risk player and rarely clicks.

This is unless you can get a player like Özil/KDB/Salah/Mahrez/TAA(?)/Vini/Mbappe/Musiala who can unlock defences individually with a skill or pass consistently.

Saka/Ødegaard has potential to reach that but are not there yet.
Part of the x-factor discussion is due to the collapse of our left side and the nuetering of Martinelli this year (partly due to that side not functioning and partly due to his form and fitness issues). His pace, directness and occasionaly explosive finishing provided a bit of that last season, but rather less this.

But yes we need at least one more body who is either a risk taking 'something from nothing' type, or a stone cold killer in the front 3.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Nico Williams:

Got Talent Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Nico Williams:

Got Talent Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent's Got Talent
He's very two-footed which is awesome, but Martinelli would have similar comps if he'd be allowed more freedom I reckon. It's not just the opposition that are suffocated by Arteta's tactics...

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He's very two-footed which is awesome, but Martinelli would have similar comps if he'd be allowed more freedom I reckon. It's not just the opposition that are suffocated by Arteta's tactics...

It’s his final ball and decision making which makes him really dangerous, has that Saka quality about him along with being lightning.

He’s one I see blowing up.

sdotzdot

Established Member
A starting quality midfield and winger or CF is an absolute must. Martinelli and Havertz cannot have clear runs at starting spots in this team, both are good but not good enough consistently (Havertz still early in his career here though).

Ideally we actually need both a top quality winger and CF, but I can’t see that happening.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Well he has suffocated Martinelli completely. Atleast with Nico we can enjoy for 2 years before Arteta coaches all creativity out of him. All we can do is throw as many creative players on Arteta so he gets overwhelmed with all the creativity he has to battle and end up going crazy and resign

Goonger

So overall I agree with you - but on this point when Rice has been at 6 we’ve had Havertz at 8 - we don’t know how it would look with a proper midfielder in there but I’m willing to bet large sums of money it will look awesome.

In general I’m a fan of playing players in their preferred positions. Rice has been pretty unequivocal that he wants to be 6. When he’s asked to play 8 I just feel like the amount of ground he has to cover is ridiculous. He’s in the second and sometimes even first line of our press and is still expected to cover and sweep in front of the defence. He’s got a good engine but even Mo Farah would struggle with that assignment.

It’s all just really sub optimal in my mind.

I wouldn't even label Rice and Jorginho as a 6 or 8, both can interchange. If we need help at build up, Jorginho drops a bit deeper, if we want more protection, Rice can sit deeper.. If we are playing a high press, Rice has the freedom to really hound players all over the pitch, winning balls high up, he done it on Wednesday against Laimer for instance. I think of them more as a partnership rather than defined roles

Each has strengths and weaknesses, and as long as they compliment each other that's the main thing that matters. So with that said, it's obvious Rice partner needs to be at least a good ball progressor. He's a prick but Bruno G would be a very good partner, because he can do it all, he can press high, he can defend deeper, he can progress the ball, he can play higher up the park, he can break into the box if needed.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Well he has suffocated Martinelli completely. Atleast with Nico we can enjoy for 2 years before Arteta coaches all creativity out of him. All we can do is throw as many creative players on Arteta so he gets overwhelmed with all the creativity he has to battle and end up going crazy and resign
I don't think he's had the creativity coached out of him yet. More so Saka if anything.. But I do think it's starting to happen. Even more so, I think they're just scared of Arteta's reaction if not playing to the system.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Rumours going around about us chasing Isak or Gyrokes as a striker then Michael Olise from CP as a bit of winger depth. I've always liked Olise, if we get him & one of those 2, Isak preferably would be a great window. Ousmane Diamonde from Sporting CP aswell would be a decent window.

CannonBals

Part of the x-factor discussion is due to the collapse of our left side and the nuetering of Martinelli this year (partly due to that side not functioning and partly due to his form and fitness issues). His pace, directness and occasionaly explosive finishing provided a bit of that last season, but rather less this.

But yes we need at least one more body who is either a risk taking 'something from nothing' type, or a stone cold killer in the front 3.
Don't think so. It started at the end of last year when teams started to go in the low block against us.
Martinelli has underperformed and we do miss Xhakha but regardless the issue is Martinelli is a transitional player who provides little against low blocks.
Saka/Ødegaard/Jorginho(?) can do that but we need more/bigger x factor than what they can provide and someone who can do consistently.

Xoxo

This season was doomed the moment we signed havertz and sell xhaka.

The only way to rectify it is to sell havertz and sign vlahovic and bruno guimares

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

This season was doomed the moment we signed havertz and sell xhaka.

The only way to rectify it is to sell havertz and sign vlahovic and bruno guimares

Havertz and Rice have literally contributed more than Xhaka did.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom