• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bergkamp must retire at the top!!!

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 757
A

Anonymous

I know many of you won't agree, but by that, I mean enough Dennis you should hang up your boots now. Honestly, he has been an absolute legend, one of the finest players on the ball I have ever seen at Highbury, if not the finest, and the best scorer of top notch great goals.

However, I feel that he has been dragging his feet a bit lately, and there is no need of him to keep wanting to extend his cotnract, especially that he is not a major part of things any longer. I also feel that he has lost a bit of that sharpness, the scoring touch and inevitably, his fitness and physical strength.

He should allow the likes of vanPersie and Reyes to develop nicely, plus of course, we might buy an Owen or a Trezeguet or whatever in the summer, so I think with him retiring with an FA Cup winners' medal in a couple of weeks' time would be a perfect ending for him, with a lavish testimonial too after a fantastic 10 years at the club.

Opinions???

asajoseph

Established Member
From Arsène's most recent interviews, it sounds to me like he won't be offered a new contract, and even if he is he certainly won't be playing regularly. Either of these scenarios would certainly lead to him deciding to retire.

Gunner Ossie

As much as dennis has been a legend for arsenal, it is DEFINATELY time for him to retire.

WHY?

for the simple fact that arsenal are NOT going to improve if he stays. weve all seen, and apreciate, what he has done and, what he can do. However, the latter is unfortunately diminishing rapidly.

Arsenal need to improve and that requires us to do something new. and him staying is just delaying the evolution of the team.

shariefoo

He is a legend.. There is no Bergkamp like Bergkamp..

Personally i think he should be offered one last year.. Of course he will not be playing regularly but the likes of Reyes and RVP would learn alot from him on the training ground.

I beleive that the only reason he was given a contract this year was because Arsène wanted RVP to learn from the master himself.
I think he should be given one last year contract so that the youngsters would learn more from him. Of course next season i would prefer seeing Reyes or RVP to partner Henry but the idea that Dennis would pass his experiance to them on the training ground is just fantastic.

sabret00the

Established Member
Wenger beleive in him too much for me, but alas what can you do, he should finish with Highbury but this season he's not been good enough to command the place that he's automatically given, i don't wanna see him ahead of anyone next season but it wouldn't be too bad if he stayed on, especially for training purposes.

A

Anonymous

if he's holding out for the last season at highbury, and possibly the chance to win the european cup then fair do's. but i would personally only start him occasionally, as has been the case lately.

Lukazan

Established Member
Ah come on, last season at Highbury, let him stay! Especially since he has said money isn't an issue and he is willing to play less.

LEGEND.

turtle

Bergkamp must retire at the top!!! So we must give him one more year, and when we get our league champion back from Chelski, then he can retire. That's what retire at the top should mean.

Chicago

yeah, obviously he shouldn't be starting games unless we have injuries/suspensions but I think as a squad player he still has something to give.

IndoGunnerz

last night we see two sides of Bergkamp....

when Cesc/Lauren pass the long ball to the left side, he have allready ahead of Caragher but cant controlled the ball so the move broken down, bergkamp of last year would've easily juggle the ball through carra head and create a wonderfull goal

but then, he give 3 amazing through ball to Aliadiere, Silva, and then Fabregas and remind us again why he's an arsenal legend :D

_scorpion_

Established Member
He will get 1 more year.

And I can understand why.

If Wenger decides against this. I can understand also.....so it's not a huge delima and should not impact heavily on who we bring in (if we do in fact bring in a forward).

IBL

Established Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DENNIS BERGKAMP!! 36 years old today.

Cant believe its been 10 years already since his arrival. The man is a living legend, I really hope he is signed on for another season and plays at least a few games in the new stadium....his talents must grace the new pitch, as a sort of blessing ;D

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom