• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bolton vs Arsenal Match Ratings

Anzac

Established Member
Agreed that Almunia should not have been waiting on his line - it's the worst thing a 'keeper can do in those wet conditions - all too easy to get beaten by deflections as the ball plays pin-ball in the area.

It's not so easy to come out for a shot that's taken on the edge of the area, but another thing when the ball is crossed in from deep on the flanks.

And neither Diaby or Clichy put in any real effort to close the player down on the cross IMO, and Toure was also ball watching.

Biggus

Established Member
Y'see the thing about Almunia is he flatters to deceive, people point out- he can't be blamed for this goal, he can't be blamed for that one, This is technically true, he is a decent competent goalkeeper. But he can't pull off those really special saves, the ones that no goalkeeper is entitled or expected to reach, the ones that demoralises opposition teams and win games.

Biggus

Established Member
banduan said:
Almunia is a great keeper, but yes, we certainly can do better.

But can we get better?

Well he's competent, and probably the best English goalkeeper at the moment. :wink: Unfortunately that's not saying much.
But that's a very good question, Wenger should have kept faith with Lehmann after he came back, but that's water under the bridge now, Unless Almunia gets injured he will not play for Arsenal again.
So who's around? well there's Boruc but Tam mightn't be too happy at that one, and there's Timo Hildebrand because I like German goalkeepers, but some of you might remember Hilario who impressed me the few times he's played for Chel$ki, so if he ever gets tired of rotting away in their reserves.........but getting them would be very hard.

Asterix

Established Member
Sorry, you but on this occasion I must violently disagree with you on this one Biggus. The cross was low, flat and pacy, plus both Gallas and Toure were in there. It just wasn't a cross that you can come for.

If you're looking for someone to blame for that goal have a look at Toure.

Generally speaking I'd prefer a new no. 1 keeper next season because I think Almunia isn't world standard. he's a good keeper, but not top, top class. I can't believe Arsenal doesn't have a keeper that is at least No.1 or maybe No. 2 for their national team.

But to claim he should have prevented the first goal is being unrealistic.

arsmile

Established Member
Biggus said:
Y'see the thing about Almunia is he flatters to deceive, people point out- he can't be blamed for this goal, he can't be blamed for that one, This is technically true, he is a decent competent goalkeeper. But he can't pull off those really special saves, the ones that no goalkeeper is entitled or expected to reach, the ones that demoralises opposition teams and win games.

the cahil save was pretty special...and the is no way in hell we would have got even one poitn from that match if he diddnt make that great reflex save

.....the first cross was far to loa keeper out- no keeper in the world- even lehmann could have possibly come for that- toure was ball watching, and clichy and diaby made no attempt to stop the cross- al backed his reflexes to do something about the header but it was just too powerful, and too close to his foot, you cant stick out your standing weight bearing foot to stop it cos you'll end up on your backside without saving it, so you've got to try and shift your foot sideways or get your hand there......it is unreasonable to blame him for the goal

the second goal saw sloppy play form clichy and flamini, but gallas' pathetic attempt at a block has got to take most of the reponsibility for the goal, that was completely unsavable because of the spin and direction that put on the ball

jay-d

Established Member
Asterix said:
I can't believe Arsenal doesn't have a keeper that is at least No.1 or maybe No. 2 for their national team..

We do, but for some inexplicable reason, he is on the bench.

banduan

Established Member
I thought the rain affected Almunia's play. When it slowed down a bit later he got so much better.

The 1st goal I wouldn't blame him too much on. You trust your defence to deal with the speedy crosses because they are hard to catch and punching can be dangerous.
But the second deflected goal wasn't actually that strongly hit, and having seen Al-Habsi save a much more difficult deflection, I was dissapointed.

Overall I thought our midfield worked decently enough apart from Diaby, though Flamini's defensive positioning was odd at times, not marking players in his zone and instead drifting off to another zone to pressure players leaving the centre wide open to ranged shots, which are bloody dangerous in the rain.

Hleb was excellent. Might have had reason to tut-tut him for doing the hard work prior to the third goal but not taking a shot and sending the ball to a marked Cesc, but I think he saw that the ball could be played to RVP who was wide open, and he was at a difficult angle.

RVP was poor and Ade not too much better- though more focused now. Ade badly needs to learn RVP's positioning sense and timing of the run. 15minutes on and he already had so many offside calls against him compared to RVP, who ended up having more shots in the same period. The fact is he's a faster player than Robin and should not be caught offside so often.

Nick Bendy was excellent but needs to improve reflexes and composure.

Gallas was okay. So was Phil. Not superb but not bad, and so good going forward. Phil in particular had sent an outrageously good through ball in the second half.

Clichy had another day of perfect solidity punctuated by moments of sheer madness. What he is doing repeating the same mistakes over and over again perplexes me.

Toure was generally poor. He is no RB. He could be a good DM, but not a RB.

Of course the real bright spot was Theo's performance. If only he could do that when the opposition defence wasn't knackered.

Kaizenbury

Asterix said:
I can't believe Arsenal doesn't have a keeper that is at least No.1 or maybe No. 2 for their national team..

Hey, we have the German No.1 Keeper as our No.2. What more can you ask? :wink:

Biggus

Established Member
Asterix said:
But to claim he should have prevented the first goal is being unrealistic.

Biggus said:
I'm not saying this particular header was savable.

I didn't blame him for this one Asterix, I was merely pointing out Almunia's style..... I'm not even calling it a technical mistake as there are differences of opinion, and each goalkeeper must play to his strengths, ie he's a shot stopper. He prefers to wait on his line, he gives up space for time. He seems to lack confidence as he rarely catches but prefers to punch.
Of course the alternative style is to use your time to grab space- to come for it, but as you and I know that is fraught with danger too.

The golden rule is: If you come for it, you'd better get there.

If you choose to stay on your line, you'd better have bloody good reflexes- or as you say be very lucky because you see what happens when an attacker gets a good connection from 7 yards......well its handy you're on the line as you don't have to go as far to pick it out of the net.

My opinion is a goalkeeper must be the boss of his penalty area and the absolute ruler his six yard box.

Asterix

Established Member
Biggus said:
My opinion is a goalkeeper must be the boss of his penalty area and the absolute ruler his six yard box.

Yes, agreed.

But this header was from 7 yards.......

:lol:

sabret00the

Established Member
jay-d said:
Asterix said:

We do, but for some inexplicable reason, he is on the bench.
no, no. wenger is trying to get almunia elected to become England's #1

AliBabaBrewer

Biggus said:
Asterix, why was Alumunia standing on his line waiting for the bullet from 7 yards? I'm not saying this particular header was savable, but its a feature of his game that he doesn't come very often for crosses, and when he does he punches this give our defence no breather.
Almunia does not command his six yard box, never mind his area. He is a good shot stopper and backs his reflexes, that's his game, that's why I said that, but they weren't enough this time.

I think that's why Senderos is an important part of our defence now, or should be considered so. (Never thought I'd say that!!)

He is, at least I think so, our best header of the ball in the defence. Whilst not the fastest, he's very solid and even makes the occasional run upfield. I think he could compliment Gallas or Toure well, but I'm not sure they (Gallas and Toure) play that amazingly well together.

Whilst they're both our best defenders on paper, they're too similar.

The Senderos headers gives Almunia the support he needs for crosses, and will compliment one of the others well too.

Biggus

Established Member
Asterix said:
Biggus said:

Yes, agreed.

But this header was from 7 yards.......

:lol:

:lol: Okay you got me there. It was a very good cross, with pace, swinging out just outside the six yard line. They're the ones that should tempt the keeper to come for them.
Almunia wouldn't leave his line if the crossbar was falling on him.

chandraraj

Almunia is a great keeper. And a good reflex keeper for that matter, unless if you think the save he made of Cahil isn't a reflex save! BTW show me a keeper who does not make a mistake in the 6 yard box. Almunia this season is a much changed, better keeper. Lay him off and look at Toure (for the 1st goal) Gallas (second) and of course, a certain player who sold us out in the 1st half.

Biggus

Established Member
chandraraj said:
Lay him off and look at Touré (for the 1st goal) Gallas (second) and of course, a certain player who sold us out in the 1st half.

No. Nobody is immune from criticism.

chandraraj

Biggus said:
chandraraj said:
Lay him off and look at Touré (for the 1st goal) Gallas (second) and of course, a certain player who sold us out in the 1st half.

No. Nobody is immune from criticism.

Yeah, nobody is immune from criticism. But what has Almunia done that deserve such criticism? He may not be as solid as some of the great keepers. But he his great at the moment. My point is that he is not alone responsible for all the goals Arsenal concede. Our defence make far too many mistakes if you were to compare with Manure or Chelski. Moreover, this is the first season where Almunia has been a first choice for this long. (and we know the reason for that too, don't we!)

Biggus

Established Member
chandraraj said:
Moreover, this is the first season where Almunia has been a first choice for this long. (and we know the reason for that too, don't we!)

Yeah by default, our first choice keeper flipped out and our other keeper is an inexperienced kid. Bring back Mr 100% "SuperMart" Poom I say.

chandraraj

Biggus said:
chandraraj said:
Moreover, this is the first season where Almunia has been a first choice for this long. (and we know the reason for that too, don't we!)

Yeah by default, our first choice keeper flipped out and our other keeper is an inexperienced kid. Bring back Mr 100% "SuperMart" Poom I say.

:D lovin' it!

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom