• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Boxing Day Arsenal Wolves

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Ok, it's a bit late, but I only found this forum a week ago!

As I arrived at the Clock End to discover 5 minutes before kick off to discover others, like me, hadn't exactly rushed to get to the ground early on this cold morning, I didn't get into the ground in time to hear the team announced, but it was as expected, save for the Romford Pele coming in for the Brazilian who is definitely not Pele. Clichy started at left back and Kolo was on the right. Dennis managed to start with Thierry. There were a few empty seats for the fixture, two next to me in my position 8 rows back from the Clock End goal. Arsenal quickly got into a rhythm and Thierry was the first to go close, a good effort turned over the bar by Michael Oakes. Thierry was already looking in the mood to break his 5 game goal drought. But first, from a corner conceded as Oakes repelled yet another attack, Thierry swung the ball the ball over, Paddy got a boot to it and the ball climbed up into the net. Though Vieira was initially credited with the goal, it turned out to be a Jody Craddock OG. Soon after, Vieira and Henry combined again to great effect, though what Jody Craddock was doing on the edge of his penalty area, only he knows. Paddy hounded him down, took the ball off him and cut it back for the onrushing Henry to slide in and slam the ball straight into the centre of the goal. It was over and Wolves (and their fans) knew it. I seem to recall a big huddle in celebration of the goal.
Wolves fans could only resort to a big "Shhhhhhhhhhh!" to console themselves as the half went on. Arsenal again went very close when Thierry's 35 yard free kick was deflected and skidded off the post. Wolves fans started to sing "Champions League? You're having a laugh" Thre Clock End Gooners responded "Premiership you're having a laugh, Premier league you're having a laugh, Nationwide..." Kolo went on a run into the Wolves penalty area beating two players, then putting the ball inside the oncoming third, he probably had pushed it too far, but the resulting block on him still provoked a penalty shout.
And what is it about fans that don't know their arse from their elbow- or more appropriately, their hand from their chest- there were two massive handball shouts from Wolves that were'nt even close.
The ref generally let the players get on with it which I think contributed well to the game, but Alex Rae was lucky to escape with only one booking such was the nature of some of his tackles- why do Wolves have so many Sunderland players?
Not much happened in the second half, apart from a farcicial booking for Jeremie Aliadiere just thirty seconds after arriving as sub. Luzhy also went into the book, which raised the ire of the assembled crowd.
Those who did stay to the end were rewarded with a wonderful Thierry goal, similar in execution to his second goal in the San Siro, even if Oleg Luzhy (who got a great reception) is not quite Javier Zanetti.
3-0 and everyone happy.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom