• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Champions League Round of 16: Porto v Arsenal

Who do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Nearly forgot, our first ever Champions League group stage game at the Emirates was against Porto...

soccer-uefa-champions-league-group-g-arsenal-v-fc-porto-emirates-stadium-G9GPKJ.jpg

... always loved Henry's wonderfully placed header in this game, plus my man Justin Hoyte in that team photo 🤣
This pic has a lot of meme potential from one of Photoshop whiz's like @Heskey or @Camron
Question is, does @Riou replace Hoyte or the kid, while except @Farzad as Gallas, @A_G as Henry, @Macho dead honest like Kolo, for the rest it is down to the imagination of its author :)

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

I had a sneak peek at the FC Porto forum and used Google translate to see what they think. They definitely didn't like this draw. I picked out some posts:

"Arsenal only brings back bad memories, we got kicked at their house."

"I didn't want anything to do with Arsenal...I think it's one of the worst teams that could have landed us. At their level, I would place Bayern and City. I would prefer to take it with Real."

"Exactly. I have a bad memory with the arsenal."

"These and City were the worst we could get, I preferred Bayern to these two."

"they are clear favourites, especially because we don't historically do well against English teams, we have perhaps a 25/30% chance of passing"

"Football-wise, Arsenal are several levels above us, however we have a more experienced squad/coach in these journeys and they struggle against low blocks."

"Realistically, 20% for us, 80% for them"

"Could it be much worse?"

"Arsenal will have difficulties with our block, if we are competent with the ball, we have a chance of passing, we need to score goals when we have the opportunity and not lose possession of the ball"

"Only City, Real and Bayern are worse. Let's get to them."

"Real on paper are stronger than Arsenal but given the style of both, for me it was preferable to get the Spanish."

/page-398#post-6459286

"got kicked at their house" is just a classier way of saying "they stuck that boot so far up the toches we started tasting pavement" :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Also no excuses, we NEED to win this tie.

Porto are a good side that we need to respect, but we are a better team and I want to break that last 16 streak from 2011...don't care how, just win Arsenal...nothing less!

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
Guys, I'm so excited! Talk me down
@Farzad
@Macho
@Paperino
@2Smokeyy
@Sapient Hawk
Why? I am excited after 6 years and a favorable draw. I know complexity is difficult for post social media man to handle. Arsenal after a long time and a lot of money is doing well; it does not mean Mik did a great job and is best possible man for job. It doesn’t mean that other managers given all Mik has had wouldn’t have done better. I mean do you think Tuchel or Ancelotti with that much time and money would fail to make CL in year 4?

Synical

Miss Superstitious

Why? I am excited after 6 years and a favorable draw. I know complexity is difficult for post social media man to handle. Arsenal after a long time and a lot of money is doing well; it does not mean Mik did a great job and is best possible man for job. It doesn’t mean that other managers given all Mik has had wouldn’t have done better. I mean do you think Tuchel or Ancelotti with that much time and money would fail to make CL in year 4?
I am very excited and just wanted the opinion of someone who would bring me down the earth. From your post I get it, you're excited too 😁

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
This is an easy draw. One more easy draw and we will be in quarter final 🤲🙏

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
The quarters will be juicy; you will have to beat a traditional big boy to go to Semi. Other than Inter Atleti; there is a big favorite probably 2 to 1at least favorite in each tie. Napoli of last season would do Barca but they aren’t the same team Napoli, still that is the other potentially close one. Upsets can always happen but there is a big gulf other than a couple teams between the seeded and unseeded teams. There isn’t a team we can’t beat in a knockout tie in competition. Really we have been able to say that in awhile. But we never spent the resources of last few years either

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Porto lost 2-0 to Sporting last night. If we thought Pepe at the age of 40 had mellowed we need to think again. He got send off at the 50 minute mark...couldn't help get his hand into an opponents face while he was trying to take a quick free kick.

Makavelii

Tuchel and Ancelotti wouldn’t last 4 years. I’m sure they’re capable of it. But they wouldn’t be comitted to the club and it’s long term vision like Mikel is able to be.

I think this is why some of us really appreciate Mikel which you don’t see.

Ancelotti is up there as one of the greatest of all time. But since AC Milan, he’s never stayed anywhere long enough to create a legacy for a club.

He’s a mercenary. He pops in, thinks short-medium term, usually wins a couple titles, but then leaves as soon as there’s a higher bidder. Regardless of whether he achieved what he planned to or not.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Tuchel and Ancelotti wouldn’t last 4 years. They wouldn’t be comitted to the club and it’s long term vision like Mikel is able to be.

Ancelotti is up there as one of the greatest of all time. But since AC Milan, he’s never stayed anywhere long enough to create a legacy for a club.

He’s a mercenary. He pops in, thinks short-medium term, usually wins a couple titles, but then leaves as soon as there’s a higher bidder. Regardless of whether he achieved what he planned to there or not.

Arteta spent his first 2 and a half seasons learning on the job though. A lot of Arteta’s signings are being phased out or people are pushing to phase out anyways.

The club did Arteta a favour not the other way round.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Tuchel and Ancelotti wouldn’t last 4 years. They wouldn’t be comitted to the club and it’s long term vision like Mikel is able to be.

He’s a mercenary. He pops in, thinks short-medium term, usually wins a couple titles, but then leaves as soon as there’s a higher bidder. Regardless of whether he achieved what he planned to or not.

Arteta has stayed this long because no other clubs want him. And he dont want to leave because other clubs wouldnt accept his inability to win stuff so they would sack him. He is very happy that Stan Kroenke cant care less about trophies.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Arteta spent his first 2 and a half seasons learning on the job though. A lot of Arteta’s signings are being phased out or people are pushing to phase out anyways.

At a more ambitious club he would have been sacked a long time ago. But no ambitious clubs want the guy, they want winners.

Makavelii

Not disputing, but that’s besides the point.

We want a SAF/Wenger/Klopp/Pep type of manager who’s in it for the long run and aims for long term success. That’s what’s appealing about the Mikel Arteta proposition.

Look at Chelsea who've had brilliant managers over the years, but never a legacy man. They're like an unstable yoyo on the table. No thanks.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Arsenal after a long time and a lot of money is doing well; it does not mean Mik did a great job and is best possible man for job. It doesn’t mean that other managers given all Mik has had wouldn’t have done better. I mean do you think Tuchel or Ancelotti with that much time and money would fail to make CL in year 4?
If we're lucky we might see. United are currently 7th and 6 points behind 4th place.

erik-ten-hag-man-united.gif

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Top Bottom