• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Dinamo Kiev | 25/11/08

ken_75

Re: Arsenal vs FC Dynamo Kyiv, Tuesday Nov 25th 7:45 GMT

Not an awesome performance but a lot of positives from the game tonight:
a goal, a win, a clean sheet, still top of the group, Nick gets the goal
and especially morale boosting confidence ahead of sunday's game. And
this after the terrible events of the past week and injuries, the Willie
Gallas show etc.

I'm a happy Gooner once again and not at all bothered at winning a bit
ugly - after all that's how trophies are won... :wink:

gstew

On TV they have been saying that our goal shouldn't count because the ball was moving for us on the free kick. They are absolutely wrong. It was a drop ball, not a free kick. Kiev didn't contest the drop ball because we had possession when the ref stopped play.

Also, I thought it was a hand ball by Nick when watching in real time. But on replay it definitely showed that it was chest and shoulder. Great play.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"

Invincible said:
El Capitán was brilliant tonight.
Thought so too. Really looked like an El Capitán.

Great assist & the way he was trying to block out Milevskiy (during that set piece, when the Ukranian got a card) was top notch.

Viva El Capitán!

ricky1985

Established Member

I really dont understand Wenger. He picks Denilson on the left wing when he knows he can offer nothing from that position. Vela or Wilshere would have been by far the better options. I know why he does it, its his trademark trust 'thing' with his players. Denilson is in his good books and so Wenger feels compelled to pick him.
I feel it is Wenger's greatest strength, because players would give their kidney for him, but also his greatest weakness because he plays players when they shouldnt play, when others deserve it more.

It was definitely no coincidence that Fabregas suddenly upped a gear when Wilshere came on. Finally someone fit to lace el capitans boots, and on a similar wavelength.
Jack enabled Fabregas to pass the ball forward, and then make use of his own brilliant forward movement, to move into dangerous positions. Wilshere can hold the ball all day long (much like Hleb), and always, always plays the right pass (not like Hleb).

Thommybhoy

Established Member

gstew said:
On TV they have been saying that our goal shouldn't count because the ball was moving for us on the free kick. They are absolutely wrong. It was a drop ball, not a free kick. Kiev didn't contest the drop ball because we had possession when the ref stopped play.

Also, I thought it was a hand ball by Nick when watching in real time. But on replay it definitely showed that it was chest and shoulder. Great play.
You sure it was a dropped ball?
I think it was a fould but can't remember.
And I'm pretty sure Bendtner didn't touch the ball with his arm as many suggest.

Captain

Established Member

Denilson played well and was no worse then Nasri has been on the left wing.

Vela was also pretty decent.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Good result with 9 out. Whatever criticism Denilson gets for tonight noone can say he didnt work his hardest for the team. Clichy was immense, Al made a vital save at a time when we seemed to be struggling, Nik finally got his goal and Fabregas was more more influential, while Vela impressed me. Plenty of average play, and a scrappy game - but a win is a win. Would happily win more games ugly if it meant racking up the points

Ricky_AFC

Poor performance from the majority but great result. Good game from Cesc - hopefully he is going to carry on in this way now, Jack looked good when he came on and a brilliantly taken goal from Bendtner.

Arsène was spot on with his subs today as well so give him a credit for that.

We need to get some players off the treatment table to stand a chance against chelsea but hopefully this will give a bit of extra confidence.

kamikaze80

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
qs said:
Stop moaning about Denilson, he was out of position.
He worked his a** off today.
you think so? i thought he hardly ever tracked back when everyone else was. i'd be curious to see his distance covered statistic. either way, he's not covering the right distance cos clichy time and time again was left marking two men on his own onthe left flank, and if kiev were more clever, they wouldve exploited that.

ricky1985

Established Member

Captain said:
Denilson played well and was no worse then Nasri has been on the left wing.

Vela was also pretty decent.

I thought Denilson ranged from poor on some things, to average on other aspects of his game.

He should never be picked to play anywhere except centre mdifeld. Not defensive midfield. Not left midfield, right midfield or any other kind of midfield. Centre midfield and thats it.

DC Gunner

Established Member

it was a drop ball, at 85:10 , we had possession, the ref stopped the match for Djourou's injury.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

kamikaze80 said:
AnthonyG said:
qs said:
you think so? i thought he hardly ever tracked back when everyone else was. i'd be curious to see his distance covered statistic. either way, he's not covering the right distance cause clichy time and time again was left marking two men on his own onthe left flank, and if kiev were more clever, they wouldve exploited that.
It wasn't always pretty, effective, or good, but, yeah, I think effort was without question from Denilson today.

ricky1985

Established Member

Quite honestlty if Denilson and Song ever become first team starters in our midfield, I really dont know what I'd do.

True Gooner

Established Member

General said:
AnthonyG said:
qs said:

Song and Silvestre were both worse in their preferred positions.

Too damn right. I'm struggling to understand where all this stinging criticism is coming from. He did well.

People expected Denilson to have a stinker the moment they saw him at LM. I think the ones that are slating Denilson already have him down as ****e irrespective of what he actually does on the pitch.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
Quite honestlty if Denilson and Song ever become first team starters in our midfield, I really dont know what I'd do.

What you talking about, Denilson has been a first team starter all season.

oasis_gooner

Now that qualification is secured, Wenger's dilemma at Porto would be whether to play the first team or the reserves. Qualifying as runners up could pit us against any one of the likes of Barcelona, Juventus and Inter Milan. Wenger should be looking to win this group and thus send out the right team at Porto to do so.

ricky1985

Established Member

SimplyFabregas said:
ricky1985 said:

What you talking about, Denilson has been a first team starter all season.

I mean in the long term. I am praying its only because Wenger couldnt get someone in the summer.

General

Established Member

In a game like this where there were no outstanding performers and limited options, i find it a little strange that people can still fault him.

I'm not his biggest fan but he did well. Work rate was ok and link up play was good.

Denilson > Song. I'm afraid.

I think Ramsey is overrated to be frank. Jack showed more in the few minutes he came on.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom