• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Sparta Prague | 29/08/07

Nutsy

Established Member
A hard fought win against Manchester City in the Weekend, biting through we are plagued with injuries ahead of this game.

So First European Home game, in the return leg of the Champions League Qualifier. It's

Ten facts about Sparta Prague

* Sparta Prague were formed in 1893 under the name Athletic Club Královské Vinohrady.

* From their formation in 1893, Sparta Prague's used to wear black jerseys with a big "S" on the front. Then, in 1906, the club president Dr. Petrik was in England where he saw Arsenal play in their original deep red jerseys and decided to bring one set back to Prague. Sparta Prague adopted this dark red strip and have played in it ever since.

* In 1927 and 1935 the famoous "Iron Sparta" side won the Central European Cup (also known as the Mitropa Cup), an early forerunner of today's Champions League. The club won the trophy for a third time in 1964.

* Sparta Prague suffered their only relegation from the top-flight in 1975. Up to that point they had been the only club to have never been relegated to the second division. The club spent just one season there before gaining promotion.

* Current champions Sparta Prague have won the Czechoslovakian title 24 times and the Czech title on ten occasions, making them the most successful team in their country.

* Sparta's best Champions League performance came in the first season of the revamped competition, in 1992/1993. Sparta defeated Rangers and Olympique de Marseille to get to the semi-final group with FC Barcelona, Dynamo Kiev and Benfica. Sparta finished second in the group making them unofficially Europe's third to fourth best team.

* Sparta Prague visited Highbury in the Champions League of 2000/01. Ray Parlour and Lauren put Arsenal 2-0 ahead after seven minutes. Lee Dixon added another but Vladimir Labant reduced the arrears before the break. Kanu got Arsenal’s fourth but Tomas Rosicky concluded the scoring as the game ended 4-2.

* Thierry Henry scored his 186th goal for Arsenal in a 2-0 win at Sparta Prague on October 18, 2005. This was the goal that finally beat Ian Wright's goal-scoring record for the Club.

* Former players of note include Pavel Nedved, Petr Cech, Jan Koller, Karel Poborsky, Tomas Repka and our own Tomas Rosicky.

* Sparta Prague have played two games of their league season so far, a 1-0 win at home to Slovan Liberec, and a 0-0 draw away to Viktoria Plzen.

Courtesy of Arsenal.com Fact Files

Though we have 2 away goal advantage but with the current injuries that's getting through us in the back four defense, we have to hang on to our lead and if I understood correctly a 0-0 sufficient enough to see us through this qualifiers and into the Group stages.

The Manchester City game was a hard fought game, we won, bagging 3 points and that's what matters in definitely. Defense was understandably shaky with two of our defenders replaced by midfielders. But we spurred on and hang on to that lead. We kept them at bay, we stood our ground, despite our shaky out of place formation.

So ahead of this game, I can only predict this line up :

spartapragueplzd2.png

Not quite sure if Eboue will be back for this game, if he is, then I doubt he'll start, at the moment I'm not opposing to the fact if Hoyte plays he at times could be solid. Sagna is out it seems, but likely he would be back in the next Premiership game fixture. Hopefully though. There's no complete confirmation about Sagna and Senderos whether or not they will play this Wednesday even though after Post match Interview from Arsène said they should be fine come Tuesday. I doubt Arsène will rush both of them back, but under circumstances, there will be possibility.

At the moment, I'm sticking to that formation, even though Gilberto plays out of position there. Who else we have at the moment? Even though 0-0 is sufficient for this game to see us throuh, I'm looking for us to score and win this game. Without a new additions in the injury tab.

We survived a decent side - Man City with a couple of players playing out of their natural roles, surely we can survive this. We have been scoring the very last minutes in the second half. Something I don't personally favour. Why? Currently when we pass pass with no end product. taking that kind of risks every game is something than can make any cardiologist a millionaire. Literally. But I am loving this never say die attitude coming from the lads, and the fact of their team spirit seemed to be the one that spurred them to march on.

I'm going for a win here lads. Wrap it up. No more Mr. Nice guy. :)

Credit goes to RC8 aswell.

Anzac

Established Member
read a report that suggeests that both Senderos & Sagna ae expected to be available for this game. If so I'd expect to see Senderos in, possibly with Gilberto so as to allow Flamini in midfield.

I'm actually expecting to see the 'reserves' get a run so am looking for Eduardo to start, possibly with Ade or Bendtner, Wallcott / Eboue, Denilson did well so deserves another opportunity as well even if off the bench to see if he has got his consistency working.

My theory behind this is:
a) we have a 2 goal lead;
b) we need to ensure the squad is at match fitness to minimise the impact of the injuries we currently have;
c) don't want to run the risk of Sparta coming here to kick us off the park & injuring RVP / Hleb / Fabregas etc.

Nutsy

Established Member
Unfortunately won't be able to see this game LIVE on TV. As none of my stations are showing it. I'm getting a lil bit p*ssed off by the fact that these stations are cutting off Champions League games. Then again, so many are not as fortunate aswell. Sigh.

I know about that Sagna and Senderos might be back for the Sparta game, even though Arsène said it at the post-match interview yesterday. Question is thogh, are they going to be rushed back? Probably a knock, but sometimes Arsène will not risk it. However I am inclined to say Senderos MAY start in this game, considering the desperation we need lacking defenders.

I bloody hate injuries.

Rohit

Established Member
RvP and Hleb have played a lot of football. RvP played the full 90 for Holland and so did Hleb if i am not wrong. I think they need to be given a rest. We've been playing twice a week since the season started, with our ever increasing injury list, we should just play safe.

We have enough to win against Sparta without those two.

number_0

Established Member
they will probebly come and go commando on us at the grove, lets have Ade there, and they wont know what hit them

Gurgen

Established Member
Contrary to popular opinion I believe we are qualified and I would play a B team.

Almunia
Hoyte Toure Senderos Clichy
Theo Denilson Flamini Rosicky
Bendtner Eduardo

Rohit

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Contrary to popular opinion I believe we are qualified and I would play a B team.

Almunia
Hoyte Toure Senderos Clichy
Theo Denilson Flamini Rosicky
Bendtner Eduardo

Same, i don't think Wenger has enough confidence in Bendtner and Wenger simply refuses to give Cesc a rest. Adebayor and Cesc will start i think. Cesc barely played 10 minutes for Spain, i still feel along with RvP and Hleb he requires a rest.

patrick42uk

Established Member
I think Wenger will pay this tie a lot of respect. We will be full strength, save for one or two positions depending on recovery from Man City and fitness.

invisibleman18

Established Member
We have to be at pretty much full strength. Yes we have a decent advantage, but it would be wrong to assume we are qualified and play a full reserve team. A 2-0 lead is formidable but doesn't quite guarantee we are already there IMO.
Anything can happen afterall. They are going to go for it, they have to. And say they bang one in from 30 yards early on, who knows? It seems unlikely, but the consequences of losing it are not worth thinking about. We must do everything to ensure that does not happen.

Having said that, we should be fine. I imagine we will play it a little cautiously and either win 1-0 or draw 0-0. Given there is so much at stake, it's right to be a bit cautious about things and not assume qualification is a given before this match is played.

Got the game on TV here which is good.

Asterix

Established Member
While I agree with Gurgen in that I can't see us losing this by 2 goals 9we can lose 1-0 and go through Nadz) I also agree with Patrick that Wenger will show this tie the respect it deserves. One early goal down and we would be looking shaky, so I think we'll start with a strong line-up, and might see a couple of early second half substitutions if we're not behind.

Jameel46

Established Member
i think bendtner and eduardo should start up-front seeing as VP and Ade played on saturday, and also knowing that we're 2-0 up. would also like to see walcott play in this game, denilson may also start.

Gurgen

Established Member
I think it would be criminal to start Cesc and RvP. No point risking our two most important players in a match like this.

Asterix

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
anyone think Traore is ready to play? i mean Clichy can't play every game this season.

No he can't, but he should start this one. With the injuries causing upheaval across the backline we need as much stability as possible.

Gurgen, I'd also rest Cesc, esepcially if repka is playing - that maniac will be out for revenge. If Senderos is fit then Bert and Flamini should be fine in the middle of the park - Flamini should even score - we know he's a fox.

Not so sure about RvP, but he should only get an hour at most. I'b be very interested in seeing Eduardo and Adebayor playing together.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Why are we talking about resting players so early in the season? I'm reading in other threads that Cesc looks tired. From what? He's a young professional footballer. If you are exhausted before September then you cannot claim to be that.

Jameel46

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Why are we talking about resting players so early in the season? I'm reading in other threads that Cesc looks tired. From what? He's a young professional footballer. If you are exhausted before September then you cannot claim to be that.

it's not resting for exhaustion, it's just to keep them fully fresh as long as possible and to protect them from a sometimes dirty team like Sparta Prague.

Asterix

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

We could do with giving one or two, no more than that, fringe players some decent game time, and this could be a good chance. We still put out a strong side, but give players like Walcott, Bendtner, Denilson a start. Not all of them though. My thoughts as to starting line up are already posted.

qs

Established Member
This is no time to rest players or take chances. If we lost this it'd be an unmitigated disaster. Put out the best 11 available and make sure we get into the CL proper. If we get an early goal we can take the foot off the gas a bit and make a few energy saving changes in the second half.

Lancelot

Established Member
I agree with Qs.

We should approach the game with full strength and try to kill the tie off early.

There is enough time to rest the key players in the second half if things go according to plan.

van Persie & Cesc will deal with Repka & Co. alright; I'm not particularly worried about them getting injured by dirty tackles, not at our own turf.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom