• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL| Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal, 6/11, 7.45pm, SS1

GOONER1991

Established Member
images

There's not much room for manoeuvre in regards to our starting line up at the moment. Monreal in for Gibbs will be an interesting switch, however our main players will all have to play again. Hopefully after this week, we'll be able to rest one or two players.

We need a result here, if we are in with a shout of qualifying. If I'm completely honest, I wouldn't be devastated if we lose as my whole concentration is on the league at the moment.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This is going to be very tough game Dortmund at their stadium are almost unstoppable we should get a result here if we want qualify to the 2nd round a draw wouldn't be bad result cuz all the teams have 6 points

Scezcney

Sagna Kosh Mertesacker Monreal

Arteta Ramsey

Rosicky Özil Cazorla

Giroud

Hope Wilshere can make it at least on the bench.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Ergh, not the game you want to play 3 days before you play United away.

----------------Szczesny
-Sagna-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Monreal
------------Arteta-Ramsey
---Wilshere----Özil------Cazorla
---------------Giroud

- Rosicky needs a rest and I think Wilshere will be fine for this judging by Wenger's comments after today's game.
- Wenger should just tell Ramsey to sit next to Arteta in this and let the other four do the business on the counter attack.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Even if we lose this match I think we'll qualify, you'd expect Napoli to beat Marseille so:

Dortmund 9pts
Napoli 9pts
Arsenal 6pts

Then you'd expect Dortmund to beat Napoli at home and us to beat Marseille at home so:

Dortmund 12pts
Arsenal 9pts
Napoli 9pts

Meaning we'll either have to draw or win against Napoli, which I think we'll do.

cannonade

Established Member
Going to be a tough, tough game. Injury list will tell all.
We gifted Dortmund 3 points so they owe us 3 points; then we both beat Marseille and Napoli and both go through.
At least that's how it should go.

Loken

THunter said:
Even if we lose this match I think we'll qualify, you'd expect Napoli to beat Marseille so:

Dortmund 9pts
Napoli 9pts
Arsenal 6pts

Then you'd expect Dortmund to beat Napoli at home and us to beat Marseille at home so:

Dortmund 12pts
Arsenal 9pts
Napoli 9pts

Meaning we'll either have to draw or win against Napoli, which I think we'll do.

When you look at it like this, anything we get on Wednesday whether a draw or a win is a huge boost. I'm expecting a narrow defeat though, CL runner's up at home and strengthened in the summer.

You never know, Marseille might even be able to finish the group without 0 points :lol:

Hopefully not taking any points off us though!

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
The way THunter sees things panning out (I'm sure most would agree with him) a draw would be as much use as a loss against Dortmund because we'll still end up being knocked out if we lose to Napoli on the last day. So in other words lets go for broke.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Well, we can approach this game in a confident mood after dispatching the Scouser back up the M6. Another incredibly tough game where a point is the minimum required. I can't see us winning this game other through true grit and a touch of class. I believe that in our present guise 1-0 is the only scoreline where I can see us winning.

No mistakes and we have a shot.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Last year, we got embarrassed by Bayern at home and then beat them away. Last year's Bayern was better than this year's Dortmund. After what we've done since that night in Munich, I see no reason for Arsenal to fear anybody, anywhere, anytime.

2-1 us -- and then, after the game, Arsène and Jurgen need to have a little chat. "You don't want Lewandowski going to Die Roten, do you? We'd be happy to offer you as much as they would. Call me on January 1, and let's do this ****. If you like, we can throw in Bendtner. Good backup for you."

mo50

Established Member
I'd rest Özil, play Cazorla through the middle with Wilshere or Gnabry coming in. He looked out of it half way through the second half, and with a trip up at Old Trafford on Sunday, I'd look to rest him. Definitely not happening though.

I think we'll lose this. Dortmund are just too deadly.

k24bfan

Win would be epic but we need the draw at minimum. A loss would put all the pressure on the away game at Napoli.

Anzac

Established Member
Basically we need to focus on our requirements so far as the style and patterns are concerned,
and then to start the game with the intensity required to take the advantage from them so as to score early and make them chase the game.

My criticism re AW's tactical approach isn't so much that he doesn't adjust tactics for the opposition, but more so that he doesn't focus enough on the fundamentals of what our play requires.
ATM key for me is the direct option at WF to create movement ahead of play, AND the advanced height to create the pocket for Özil to exploit space.
IMO we did neither H v Dortmund or CFC,
and as such it was our approach that was a major factor to determining the flow and outcome of the game.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Don't think that we will lose this. I'd be tempted to rest Özil and bring Wilshere in on the wing with Santi central. Play on the counter and hopefully have Theo, Özil and Gnabry to bring on.

This is a big game for Dortmund as well.

blrgooner

Established Member
This is a big game IMO. Very important to get at least a draw from this. If we lose, we might end up in a situation where we might need win at Napoli which will be very tough and even a win there might only get us 2nd place.

alboots101

Established Member
Uncle Mike said:
Last year, we got embarrassed by Bayern at home and then beat them away. Last year's Bayern was better than this year's Dortmund. After what we've done since that night in Munich, I see no reason for Arsenal to fear anybody, anywhere, anytime.

2-1 us -- and then, after the game, Arsène and Jurgen need to have a little chat. "You don't want Lewandowski going to Die Roten, do you? We'd be happy to offer you as much as they would. Call me on January 1, and let's do this ****. If you like, we can throw in Bendtner. Good backup for you."

That would put the kybosh on any deal.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
--------------Szczesny
Sagna-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Monreal
-----------Arteta-Ramsey
Rosicky---------Özil--------Cazorla
---------------Giroud

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Hayden, Wilshere, Bendtner, Akpom

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Apart from Monreal coming in leave the first XI as it was against Liverpool, just hope that Wilshere and/or Gnabry can come into the bench.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We should be putting more eggs in the premiership basket. I'd like to see Özil on the bench for this.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom