• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL| Napoli v Arsenal, 11/12, 7.45pm, SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

-------------------Szczesny
Sagna-----Mertesacker-----Koscielny----Gibbs
----------------Flamini-Arteta
Walcott------------Cazorla------Rosicky
--------------------Giroud

Don't think we should rest Giroud, the rest against Hull done nothing for him, he needs a goal.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
I'ld like Theo as striker. This is exactly the kind of match suited to him. Apart from that he's red hot, even comes up with a headed assist.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You guys too worried about Napoli i don't think we will lose they will be in full attacking mode and this will suit us in counter attacks and again i will say this Napoli defense is god awful they conceded 2 goals against Lazio who don't have a f**king striker and conceded 3 goals against Udinese at Napoli stadium and Udinese played without Di Natale and Luis Muriel. so that's why i want Flamini Arteta start in midfield to protect the defense and Walcott start on the wings this game will suit him.

Yeah Napoli have good attacking Options like Higuain Pandev and Callejon
20 goals between them but As Long we defending well and i'm confident we will do that we will not lose this game.

clockwork orange

We shouldn't worry about anyone the way we have been playing. We should just take the opposition serious.

When it comes to Napoli, I see Insigne as their main danger.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
clockwork orange said:
We shouldn't worry about anyone the way we have been playing. We should just take the opposition serious.

When it comes to Napoli, I see Insigne as their main danger.

Yep Ingigne their main danger at the moment cuz Hamsik is injured, so i hope Jenko be up for it tough test for him.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
el57 said:
We'll have to face them eventually anyway

We really don't. Possible, but not inevitable, and as long as it's not necessary I don't want to face them.

And I don't even disagree with the notion of league > CL, but really, the principle behind the last, deciding match of the CL group stage being more important than one out of 38 league games should be somewhat understandable.

clockwork orange

It's not just one out of 38 league games. It's a 6 pointer v a title contender.

I'ld prefer to win the group too. Actually I'm confident, we would if we would rest a few players, which Arsène probably will not do.

We have to make choices. Can understand people wanting to play our best team in this CL match, I wouldn't.

arshy9

Established Member
I wouldn't start our first team either.It's not like the players who are in line for rotation are incapable like previous seasons.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
If we want to rotate in this game we should just rotate the attack and maybe the midfield the defense should stay the same.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't really mind who plays at the back, would be good for Vermaelen to get a start and for Sagna to play ahead of City.

Arteta Flamini
Walcott Rosicky Wilshere
Giroud

Surely a game like this is set up for Walcott and Rosicky, I doubt we'll see that team but I hope that we'll give at least one of Ramsey or Özil a rest.

Depends really whether you think the confidence of topping a tough group is greater than 90 minutes rest.

DontPushMe

Penn_ said:
Don't really mind who plays at the back, would be good for Vermaelen to get a start and for Sagna to play ahead of City.

Arteta Flamini
Walcott Rosicky Wilshere
Giroud

Surely a game like this is set up for Walcott and Rosicky, I doubt we'll see that team but I hope that we'll give at least one of Ramsey or Özil a rest.

Depends really whether you think the confidence of topping a tough group is greater than 90 minutes rest.
The confidence has nothing to do with it. Look who's 1st and 2nd currently in their respective groups. If we are going to advance in this tournament getting a draw at Napoli will make it a lot easier

yuvken

Established Member
I'm with jones on this. Totally baffled by what seems like the common attitude among fans regarding this game. It's a huge game. A draw here will mean so much for both the chances we have, and how our winter months shape regardless of CL. Second place reads "same old", with disastrous psychological implications (and I am more interested in the league).

el57

yuvken said:
I'm with jones on this. Totally baffled by what seems like the common attitude among fans regarding this game. It's a huge game. A draw here will mean so much for both the chances we have, and how our winter months shape regardless of CL. Second place reads "same old", with disastrous psychological implications (and I am more interested in the league).

It's because those of us wanting squad rotation think the other games are more dangerous and important. Follow this logic:

We have matches A, B, and C coming up, all of which we do not want to lose. Match C is the must win because its at home against a title challenger with an awful manager; Match B is away to the toughest away ground right now to the other main title contender, a draw here wouldn't be a bad result, as long as we don't lose; Match A is a tough away CL match in Italy, but a maximum of a draw is needed, and we can lose by 2 and still progress, including as winners if Marseille get something. Some of us think (and perhaps we're wrong) that rotation HAS to be used for either A or B if we are to be at our best for C, which is a must-win. I think rotation for A is a better plan because a draw is as good as a win, and a two goal loss is not disaster either, even if it sucks a bit.

It's that simple. It's not that I think we should play to lose and throw the reserves on in Napoli, just that perhaps Özil should rest and Cazorla play his spot, or something like that. A team, with some rotation, would be:
Szcz
Jenks--Vermaelen--Kos--Monreal
------Arteta-----Flamini------
-----------Wilshere-----------
Walcott-----Giroud-----Cazorla

Now is that such a bad team? No! But it does allow some key rotation.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
DontPushMe said:
The confidence has nothing to do with it. Look who's 1st and 2nd currently in their respective groups. If we are going to advance in this tournament getting a draw at Napoli will make it a lot easier

The confidence has everything to do with it topping the group would give the players a massive boost in terms of confidence, it's not exactly an easy group this year. The players said themselves said the Bayern match gave the extra confidence they needed.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
yuvken said:

If we become to reliant on our best players we'll fall flat on our faces this year. The league is far to unpredictable and competitive now to be so reliant on just one team. Key to success is rotation, and we're fortune enough to have some amazing squad depth where it matter most might as well might use of it.

Besides you can easily apply the 'same old' scenario to the league, run players into the ground in this game and you could find yourself in fourth place in just over a week. Which would be alot more damaging psychologically.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I think this game is probably set up well to give Ramsey a rest - he dropped in performance against Everton (seemingly due to fatigue) so playing him may not even do the team any good, also playing Flamini and Arteta in midfield is probably suitable if we want a more defensive setup.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
I'm a bit undecided when it comes to rotating the team. However, the Hull game gave me some comfort as to rotating the squad quite a bit without losing too much at one time, so I guess it is possible to rest some players.

Ramsey should get that rest, because Özil is just hitting some form and we'll need that on Saturday. Sanit should be dropped for Theo because his form is poor at the moment, and Theo is the perfect player for counter attacks, because I expect Wenger to shut them down like we did at Dortmund.

In terms of balance it's difficult to place Flamini alongside Arteta - that could be too defensive, unless we play Rosicky in front of them (which we'll see I assume), whose runs and dribbling could open up some space. Jack should be moved to the bench, while Özil and Theo start from the wings. The sight of Bendtner leading the line makes me sick, so sadly Giroud has to do it once again.

The defense should stay as it is, it's the platform we have to build this whole performance on.

Come on Arsenal!

kenkbc2

Based on the current form of both team, I can't see us losing this. A draw at worst, but I expect us to win by a two goal margin.

Walcott and Özil to score on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Latest posts

Top Bottom