• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Twente v Arsenal | 13/08/08

DC Gunner

Established Member
Re: CL: FC Twente v Arsenal | 13-08-08 19:45

Considering the injuries we had !

Considering players we have out !

If the backups are equal to the task, the above 2 points should not be mentioned.

Does not that mean that our depth is lacking big time !

qs

Established Member

Exactly. Its not like anyone thinks Denilson and Ramsey are bad players they're just way too far up the pecking order for their current level of development. Denilson is at the stage where he needs games but he's not ready to be a first team player week in week out and that the role currently ahead of him.

Put him beside a good experienced mid and he'll learn an awful lot more.

Anzac

Established Member

qs said:
Exactly. Its not like anyone thinks Denilson and Ramsey are bad players they're just way too far up the pecking order for their current level of development. Denilson is at the stage where he needs games but he's not ready to be a first team player week in week out and that the role currently ahead of him.

Put him beside a good experienced mid and he'll learn an awful lot more.

QFT

IMO some of these kids are stagnating due to lack of 1st team match play - but they aren't good enough to do so here & we can't afford to let them go on loan because we have no other cover........

I'm just really concerned that AW will see it as a vindication as to his decisions NOT to buy any more players - 'we have 9 players out so if our 3rd team can win in the PL we are going well' sort of thing...... :roll:

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Captain said:
Sagna and Clichy got turned time and time again and looked clueless as to how to deal with a front three and Clichy in particular made some suicidal passes. Walcott and Eboue spent too much time wide and gave the ball away constantly. RvP was better then Ade despite the latters goal; he tried some stuff that didn't work out but kept going and asking for the ball. Ade on the other hand looked lazy and disinterested, his movement in and around the box is shocking; not a single run to the near or far post when we had the ball wide, failed to challenge in the air, got strugged off the ball easily and couldn't make a pass all night.
What? :|
They were both **** and struggled from lack of service. Van Persie also just disapearred.

The only reason why Van Persie would appear to have the better game is because he got more camera time taking corners and collecting the ball from Gallas.

qs

Established Member

van Persie came deep as he likes to and got the ball more, thats why it appeared at first glance like he was doing better but in reality its his job along with Walcott and Eboue to get the ball to Ade and none of them managed that. Now thats not to excuse Ades performance which was very poor as well, he wasn't doing anyone any favours with his runs and positioning for most of the game.

They were all making terrible mistakes. Robin was holding onto the ball far too long though, trying to beat the centre halfs on his own, probably down to of his lack of goals. Seemed a bit desperate at times.

Captain

Established Member

:lol:

Ade was disgustingly useless; Rvp was much better and it had nothing to do with taking corners. He was, however, pretty rubbish anyway but I thought you could gather that from the fact that I lumped all of the rubbish together.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

So was Van Persie? :?

banduan

Established Member

I missed this match and only saw the goals off dailymotion. Will see the replay in an hour.

asajoseph

Established Member

Not too bothered about the performance. We had most of our key players out, and to get a 2-0 away leg result against a decent Dutch side with a 2nd XI is good enough for me.

Haven't watched the match, but to be honest, I probably won't bother.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Fair enough.
To me, they both looked like ****.

stuart

Established Member

I didnt see any of the game but im certainly very happy with that result. Bit of a banana skin of an opponent considering the injuries. To come away with a 2-0 lead is superb, regardless of how we played, imo.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Brilliant result indeed. 2 away goals may prove vital. Especially when the likes of Randall and traore are certain to play in the home leg.

Original_AAA

Arsène promises new signing

While I agree that it wasn't the best of games I would like to remind the doom and gloom people here on a few facts:

- We played away against a very good team. They ended in 4th place in the Erdedivisie last season, which is a very good league.
- We had a starting line up with an average age of 23,6 years. Only 3 players have had their 25th birthday.
- We have 9 first team players out injured. That's insane and it is unlikely we will be spending the rest of the season with so few players.
- Look at the link at the top of my post. Arsène is promising fresh blood.
- A 2-0 victory has all but ensured us qualification to CL. The kids did what we wanted them to do.

So all in all, let's try not to paintthe situation bleaker then it really is.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Whos making the situation bleaker than what it is?
We played **** and people are saying it. Its an observation, not a prediction of our season.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

Seriously, this pre-season is worse than the last one. We have not seen a single convincing performance yet, and that we have not kept many cleansheets. At least last season, we still have that amazing Inter game in Emirates to convince us for the start of the season.

Yesterday we played really poorly, very very disappointing. Ok, given that Twente is a good team too though. But our passing was non-existent, we didnt create much chances unlike the past years Arsenal. And thats not only one match, its the whole of pre-season.

I am worried, Moaninho might be right this time

Dez

I haven't read the rest of this thread - i only just watched the game.

Good result - uninspiring performance

I put that down to our link up players (Cesc, Nasri, Rosicky) all being out. so the strikers weren't getting fed much though they did little when they did get the chances.

No stand out performances really. Almunia looked sound, so did Sagna. Walcott was tracking back well.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Captain said:
This is exactly what I meant when I said that people had decided on performance before the game. That game did not highlight the need for a centre-mid (even though I agree with that point), it showed that we are weak on the wings and will struggle for goals from midfield. You could have put Mascherano in there and we still would have struggled because of what was going on around him.
The problem with the centre midfield yesterday is that it collapsed in on itself. This happened early in the game and set the tone for the first half. At times Denilson, Ramsey, and one or two others were stepping on each others toes. This is due mainly to a lack of familiarity with each other and can be worked on. Indeed it was better in the second half - Denilson had more forward drive and Ramsey made a concerted effort to put himself in space.

qs

Established Member

psycho said:
Whos making the situation bleaker than what it is?
We played s**t and people are saying it. Its an observation, not a prediction of our season.

Exactly. Its analysis. Bit of a boring thread if everyone just posed "We won 2-0, this is a good result"

Captain

Established Member

but people are extrapolating it into a prediction of the season.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom