• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Clichy better than Cole?

jackycreegs

after another defensive blunder from ashley cost us the points at everton, and with clichy putting in solid performances in his absence, does clichy deserve a run in the team as first choice?

lewdikris

Established Member
..... no. Cole has improved beyond all measure this season. He slipped - it happens unfortunately.

Clichy's bloody good, and deserves games - but not because Cole is dropped, only when he's rested/injured at this stage.

Arsene

He can and he has! Against his better judgement I suspect. If anything Lauren and Cgyan should be looking over their respective shoulders. Shame Clichy isn't a RB or CB.

JazzG

Established Member
At 18 I doubt Cole was this good but right now Cole is the superior player, he offers us a lot in attack. Something which Clichy doesn't. Like Lewdikris has said Cole has improved a lot this season and he slipped against Everton, it happens. Look at his performance against Martins in the san siro, Maldini + Nesta have struggled against Martins in more than 1 match, so Cole taking him out of the game just showed how good Cole was that night. No way Clichy could of done the same.

Ridge

yeah, cole is surely our number 1 left back. he plays very well for us this season and that everton mistake, hmm, :| :| it happens.... :wink:

why doesnt clichy play on the right? ha.
then it would be

cole sol kolo clichy

:lol:

Andrew

Ridge said:
yeah, cole is surely our number 1 left back. he plays very well for us this season and that everton mistake, hmm, :| :| it happens.... :wink:

why doesnt clichy play on the right? ha.
then it would be

cole sol kolo clichy

:lol:

Yeah, lets swap his right foot with his left foot and then our back 4 would be sweet. 8)

johe

We could play Clichy at right mid, even though he's left-footed. Just like Pires on the left. :?: :)

A

Anonymous

great going forward, but cannot defend at times

unless he is on the goal line , and saving stop.

to early to judge for the other dude

pamilih

Clichy is more a midfielder material than defence. Remember Vieira was put in the right back initially before became our midfielder captain.

I see that AW always put someone in the back first before moving him forward at a later date.

Clichy is more like Pires rather than Cole.

Andrew

pamilih said:
Clichy is more a midfielder material than defence. Remember Vieira was put in the right back initially before became our midfielder captain.

I see that AW always put someone in the back first before moving him forward at a later date.

Clichy is more like Pires rather than Cole.

I think Clichy will have to be a midfield player if he wants to be a regular, because Cole won't budge. I think that could be in Wenger's mind, using him as a back-up for Cole and if he did well working him into the midfield. But I think Clichy is more like Cole than Pires. Cole and Clichy are both left-footed which is one of the main similarities.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Clichy did play in midfield at St. Andrews. I don't think there are many left-backs around who are better then Cole. He adds an extra attacking dimension and his defending has come on leaps and bounds. Clichy's got enormous potential but has a long way to go before he can rival Cole imo.

JazzG

Established Member
In the CL Cole getting right up there along side Pires + Henry has helped us. We all know about his goal against Kiev but our first goal against Inter Cole was actually further up the pitch than Henry and he layed it off to Henry for him to score!

zerofeel

COLEs defending play has improved so much by leaps and bounds although still susceptible to the occasional error of judgement but CLICHY is just not ready for the regular hustle and bustle of 1st team action...COLE is far too superior right now and hes even wayy better than WAYNE BRIDGE...

JGooner

Cole has been one of our top three players this season, with toure and henry. He has become the complete left-sided player, not just a left back.

pamilih

Andrew said:
I think Clichy will have to be a midfield player if he wants to be a regular, because Cole won't budge. I think that could be in Wenger's mind, using him as a back-up for Cole and if he did well working him into the midfield. But I think Clichy is more like Cole than Pires. Cole and Clichy are both left-footed which is one of the main similarities.

The Bentley (19) -Clichy(18 ) pair is the junior version of Pires(30)-Cole(23). So it's good that we have a proper cover for the left side.

Cole has many more caps at such a young age than many other players. He'll still improve.

A little concern is that the average physical size of the youth team is unlike the senior team, is sort of medium built rather than tall towering figures.

Aliadiere for example is so boyishly built compared to Anelka at the same age.

Clichy, Bentley, Cesc, are all medium built.

This is probably irrelevant.

patrick42uk

Established Member
pamilih said:
The Bentley (19) -Clichy(18 ) pair is the junior version of Pires(30)-Cole(23). So it's good that we have a proper cover for the left side.

thats a good observation, i didnt see it like that. Clichy and bentley down the leftside as back up for pires and cole. looks really promising. We might well see that combination in action against boro, so maybe we can draw comparisons.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Top Bottom