• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 122,558
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Wonder what taste Kia has got from the one year extension option being activated. A couple of million minimum is my guess.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I honestly have never been this mixture of angry and disappointed at Arsenal.

This is the club the the 8-2 thrashing at Old Trafford, the 5-nils, the Bayern games, but even throughout all this there was still some hope that maybe things would turn around once Wenger left and the club had a chance to modernize itself.

But this... this is something else. There is literally nowhere to turn to.

Kroeke won't move until it's too late. I've seen clubs run like this in Brazil and the ending is always with a massive drop in quality, increase in debts and sometimes even relegation. But here's the kicker, at least there was the upside of a couple of glory years.

We've cut the middlemen and jumped right into the **** part.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
So Arsenal have bent over and exposed their bum to the care of a sleazy guy that isnt even a licensed agent (stop calling him an agent, btw).
Exciting times, lets see where it leads us! Something new!

lomekian

Essays are my thing
To be honest, I have no idea why everyone's freaking out.

1) we have very little spending money, so bargain basement is how we are fleshing out the squad.

2) Our summer priority signing wise will be a CM who can actually cover ground who isn't some untested kid

3) David Luiz's wages will be about £6m. Who else can we pick up who is an option whose fee and wages will be £6m or less?

4) Luiz at 1 year makes perfect sense. Gives wiggle room while Saliba beds in, but doesn't commit to anything long term.

5) This is actually a win for the club. Kia was trying to shaft us by using Covid-19 disruption to make us give a 2 year deal, when we always wanted to take that option year. The club got what it wanted

6) Luiz is perfectly fine against mid range opposition but can't cut it against the very best...but neither can anyone else we have, and at least his distribution will probably get us points against weaker teams at home.

7) Its almost certain Sokratis will leave as he's made it clear he wants out if he can't start.

8) The club will try to push Mustafi out the door for a fee before his contract runs out, unless he suddenly takes a totally unforseen step forward.

9) Chambers is out until xmas at best

10) Holding will get some game time now, but he's looked like he's struggling to re-find confidence.

Do I think Luiz it at the level we aspire to? No, of course not. But I do think 1 more year of him makes perfect sense for the club given the bigger picture.

as for the other deals:

No point buying Mari unless its a long contract and we all know Arteta is desperate for a left footed centre-back. Jury's out for sure, but again is standard practice.

Cedric? All depends on the £££. An experienced international for a top national side, with extensive EPL experience somewhere around his early to mid peak who is willing to be a back-up, and on a free? If he's on back up money, it makes perfect sense, because we need someone for that position, and will do going forwards. It would suggest the club has faith Hector will regain his form. All depends on the wages. If he's less than 60k its a good deal because we can probably shift him if we want to move in another direction. If its £80k upwards its not good for the club because it has millstone potential.

Of course, we will all view these things in hindsight. If they all do a decent or better job and the money we save is bought on fixing our pedestrian, immobile and non-dynamic central midfield, they are great deals. If Luiz falls out with Arteta and Mari and Cedric bomb and we spend the cash on another winger.....

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Because we're 9th and falling because of these awful signings that never work out and are intent on making more
Strategically these are low risk signings for the short to medium term. Anyone expecting this team to do anything in the short term is deluded. We are facing massive transition, and need some experience alongside the massive influx of kids getting regular time this is just around the corner. Luiz is a stop gap (who lest we forget was getting a lot of love pre Covid) and in Mari and Cedric there are cheap solid soldiers who are there for the transition to take the pressure off our young and returning from injury guys.

Does the smell of Kia make you sick? Me too, but lets see the terms before we burn the stadium down

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Done is done. Another year with the Luiz... Things could be worse to be honest. But we sure as hell need some CM/CM protection for him and any CB playing next to him.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I agree, we could've signed Cedric into a crazy four year deal, amirite?

Oh....
Let's try not to be too negative. It's not like we haven't got enough holes to fill. With an nearly empty transfer kitty maybe this isn't the worst. I would have liked to see us part ways with him, but now that it is done I am not going to get too down on it. Let's hope he starts tearing up trees and turns into a solid CB. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom